Just turned 18.

N-Trizzy2609

This little railfan turns 18 today with a big bang. I just got me a new car, a new HO scale Amtrak Genesis, and $45 so far. I'm happy I'm an adult now but still young at heart.

Here's something for all of you who just turned 18 or remembers it like an elephant. When you turn 18, were you like me and and only 50% happy to be 18? I'm happy because now I can order things online with a credit card, I can drive as late as I want, and I can buy cigs for my mom without the feeling of getting ID'd. But I'm also sad because I feel like my childhood is over. Lots of things I coulda got away with when I younger too.

The only important birthday is 21, 18 just means you can get arrested.

Yup, which also means once you turn 18 just like you have the freedom to control your own life, it also means your parents are no longer legally obligated to do anything for you. So make sure you don't do anything to get kicked out. :P

This little railfan turns 18 today with a big bang. I just got me a new car, a new HO scale Amtrak Genesis, and $45 so far. I'm happy I'm an adult now but still young at heart.

Here's something for all of you who just turned 18 or remembers it like an elephant. When you turn 18, were you like me and and only 50% happy to be 18? I'm happy because now I can order things online with a credit card, I can drive as late as I want, and I can buy cigs for my mom without the feeling of getting ID'd. But I'm also sad because I feel like my childhood is over. Lots of things I coulda got away with when I younger too.

What kind of car did you get? At 18 I smoked my 1st cigarette, got my first lapdance, ect ect. I thought at 21 you become an adult?

Your childhood isn't necessarily over, there's no huge button that get's pressed at midnight lol. I don't remember my 18th birthday at all, it was only a couple of months ago too.

But Happy Birthday, that's so cool that you got a car. Enjoy. :cool:

Hope you had a good birthday!!!

Yup, which also means once you turn 18 just like you have the freedom to control your own life, it also means your parents are no longer legally obligated to do anything for you. So make sure you don't do anything to get kicked out. :P

Took those words right outta my mouth.

In reality, for most people, a birthday is not much of a big change unless you have some pending troubles that are ready to spring at you as soon as you turn 18/21. Your life is continuous, not discrete. I'm 21, and I'm still pretty much like a child.

You just turned 18 and your parents bought you a brand new car. 18 and your on their insurance? Especially in NJ whit their massive rates? You sure they didn't buy the car and they let you drive it??

Oh come on Dan, you should know parents these days. Spoil the kid til the end.

Oh come on Dan, you should know parents these days. Spoil the kid til the end.

Sounds a little too good to be true. Young drivers are what I fear everyday f**king texting and driving and yapping on the cell phone. I really don't believe they bought their just turned 18 year old son a $20,000 car. I'm sorry.

. I really don't believe they bought their just turned 18 year old son a $20,000 car. I'm sorry.

Happens all the time. When I was in high school this one kid got a Dodge Charger for his birthday, then he crashed it, then got another new car and crashed it too. Oh, and he then got a new car after all that. On Long Island, kids get $30,000 cars when they turn 18.

Happens all the time. When I was in high school this one kid got a Dodge Charger for his birthday, then he crashed it, then got another new car and crashed it too. Oh, and he then got a new car after all that. On Long Island, kids get $30,000 cars when they turn 18.

What a terrible shame... on the bright side, at least it wasn't like a $100k sports car.

Dipshit is what that kid was. Along with the rest of my generation. And myself.

The same group of friends I had throughout high school laughed at me when I told them about my license... or how it's still a permit and my attempts at getting it converted to a license went so well, I was deemed too awesome for the roads by several courts and forced to use Long Island Bus to get around.

One rides the bus like I do, but his is about 40% less crowded.

One had a license beforehand and drove a hooptie. Somehow, he drove that thing down to Florida where he lives now.

One has a parent that can be there whenever.

One got his license a year later and rubbed it in my face. He apparently made lots of new friends at Molloy. I haven't talked to him since last May.

So while you're driving around in your craptastic car blaring equally bad music, do consider all the people that could be driving right now, financially stable to do so, no police record or anything, but can't because of some stupid circumstance.

And yes, I'm 18 as well. Sure feel powerless.

And the people that HAVE to use buses to get around because they can't afford it and maybe never will. How does that make you feel?

My favorite was when girls would get cars for their "sweet 16's." Not even fully able or licensed to drive yet and POOF, $30K plus Mercedes/BMW/Infiniti from mommy and daddy.

Archived