Daimler will lay off 187 Orion employees

East New York

Daimler will lay off 101 Orion employees in New York, as well as an additional 86 in Canada. When I talked to my friend who works for DBNA, he said the fact that they lost the CNG bid to New Flyer directly contributed to the current situation, along with the fact that overall orders for buses are coming in a slower pace. The Oriskany, NY plant will cut production of buses down to 13 units per week from the current 18, and may cut production further in 2011.

ORISKANY, N.Y. (WKTV) - More than 100 people were told Monday that they will no longer be Orion Bus employees as of mid-October.

It's the latest local company to announce mass layoffs. One employee told NEWSChannel 2 that the workforce was called into a meeting Monday morning and that's when the layoffs were announced.

They were told that Orion Bus, in Oriskany, will go from manufacturing 18 buses a week to 13.

In addition to the layoffs, Orion will also have two shut down periods. The first will run from November 29th through January 3rd. Another four week shut down will happen next summer.

In September, the United Auto Workers agreed upon a three year contact with Orion Bus.

Orion released the following statement addressing the layoffs:

“Addressing market changes in a timely manner is a strategy of Daimler’s ‘Global Excellence’ program that promotes business unit sustainability and future growth,” said Richard O. Ferguson, president and CEO for Daimler Buses North America. “Our forward-looking strategy for Orion is the right approach to address the challenges in the North American transit market.”

“Our plan includes further review and reduction of fixed costs, which includes a hiring freeze on all new non-essential vacant salary positions and a review of all discretionary company outlays. We will continue to invest in new products such as the Allison Hybrid system to ensure that when we come out of this downward business cycle, Orion will be best positioned to meet our transit customers needs,” added Ferguson.

Orion’s revised company program was provided to employees on September 27, 2010 at its Oriskany and Mississauga production facilities. These locations produce Orion buses, the North American transit bus brand of Daimler.

“Over the last several weeks we have been working with Union leadership at both locations devising long-term plans that would impact the least amount of employees. I want to personally thank them for their efforts,” Ferguson said. ”We are mindful the direct impact these decisions will have on our employees.”

With the revision of production numbers Orion buses has to adjust the employment with a layoff of 86 employees in Mississauga and 101 employees in Oriskany. Affected employees will be notified directly on October 1, 2010 with the layoff becoming effective on October 18, 2010.

“Orion’s current production plans are based on historic buying cycles for the transit industry that have been negatively impacted by the global economic crisis as well as decreases in transit riders and fare revenues. These events have contributed directly to the reduced demand experienced this year for new transit bus orders,” added Ferguson.

I knew that they were asking their empolyees to work three days a week, due to low sales. But i can't see the lay off of all these people having anything to do with losing an MTA contract as they had threaten lay offs if the empolyees did except the three day work week. (though they didn't say how many people would get let go)

I knew that they were asking their empolyees to work three days a week, due to low sales. But i can't see the lay off of all these people having anything to do with losing an MTA contract as they had threaten lay offs if the empolyees did except the three day work week. (though they didn't say how many people would get let go)

The loss of a contract of up to 475 buses will put a dent in anyone's operations.

Sorry to hear this fellas but if ya wanna ,I would try to find out if Designline or NovaBus is hiring and come back with A Bus and spit in their faces .

NovaBus is in trouble, their NY plant is now considering a three day work week because they are not getting contracts similar situation like Orion.

DesignLine has lots of trouble, they owe money to some people and couple class action lawsuits.

NovaBus is in trouble, their NY plant is now considering a three day work week because they are not getting contracts similar situation like Orion.

DesignLine has lots of trouble, they owe money to some people and couple class action lawsuits.

I thought Nova building a plant in New York was a disaster anyway unless they were planning on closing the one in Canada. There just are not enough orders out there to justify such a move. Not just to secure a contract from MTA. But the MTA has been known to make or break a company. Prime example: RTS. MTA was their best customer, and they never recovered after the 1999 order. Dallas and Detroit kept Nova floating for a while. But what they should have done was invest in producing a low floor RTS instead of dropping the RTS and Classic all together just to concentrate on the LFS. Next time around, I think the RTS marketing team will have a winner!! Actually, I KNOW they do!!

I thought Nova building a plant in New York was a disaster anyway unless they were planning on closing the one in Canada. There just are not enough orders out there to justify such a move. Not just to secure a contract from MTA. But the MTA has been known to make or break a company. Prime example: RTS. MTA was their best customer, and they never recovered after the 1999 order. Dallas and Detroit kept Nova floating for a while. But what they should have done was invest in producing a low floor RTS instead of dropping the RTS and Classic all together just to concentrate on the LFS. Next time around, I think the RTS marketing team will have a winner!! Actually, I KNOW they do!!

Nova is a Canadian company. They make more money in Canada because of buy Quebec providence and Canada act. There is a reason why they build a plant in NY. Buy American clause and the American market. NY is a smaller plant then Nova's plant in Canada.

Good luck on hoping a low floor RTS. Because I have no faith on that model and the company who has the rights that still owes many of the creditors. Its been years since that company went to bankruptcy and no active news involved with them. RTS is dead and still is dead for nearly a decade... its in the history books and museums in the near future.

Good luck on hoping a low floor RTS. Because I have no faith on that model and the company who has the rights that still owes many of the creditors. Its been years since that company went to bankruptcy and no active news involved with them. RTS is dead and still is dead for nearly a decade... its in the history books and museums in the near future.

I have more than faith. If you knew what I know, you would understand, but at this point I am not allowed to say a word about that..... In due time. The Low Floor model itself is a proven platform as it is essentially a classic RTS. The last RTS models were delivered less tha 4 years ago, so it has not been a decade yet, and they will be up and running again before 10 years has passed.

I have more than faith. If you knew what I know, you would understand, but at this point I am not allowed to say a word about that..... In due time. The Low Floor model itself is a proven platform as it is essentially a classic RTS. The last RTS models were delivered less tha 4 years ago, so it has not been a decade yet, and they will be up and running again before 10 years has passed.

Is the RTS produce more in 2006 than 1999? Hell no. Limited production wouldnt count on my book. They are too late to enter the competitive market and have many years of free time to build a low floor RTS version when Nova sold the design to them. What proof do you have that low floor RTS has proven? That design has already been made first by Nova and yet they go to LFS. They could have taken that Nova's spec build it or tweak it and have it ready to go.... but no, they took there sweet time even the money wasted more.

Many people will remember the debacle of the failed New Jersey Transit order for a long time.

The company needs money in this recession, are you willing to donate some money to them to build RTS with the horrible track recorded that they have?

RTS is dead, many of TA already move to other platforms.

Is the RTS produce more in 2006 than 1999? Hell no. Limited production wouldnt count on my book. They are too late to enter the competitive market and have many years of free time to build a low floor RTS version when Nova sold the design to them. What proof do you have that low floor RTS has proven? That design has already been made first by Nova and yet they go to LFS. They could have taken that Nova's spec build it or tweak it and have it ready to go.... but no, they took there sweet time even the money wasted more.

Many people will remember the debacle of the failed New Jersey Transit order for a long time.

The company needs money in this recession, are you willing to donate some money to them to build RTS with the horrible track recorded that they have?

RTS is dead, many of TA already move to other platforms.

IMO, it's never too late to enter a competitive market if you have a solid product. And the money they need is already taken care of. True, Nova actually produced the first LF RTS, and MTS will build off that design. The reason I say it is a proven platform is because it is 100% RTS with a dropped floor. I would give more details of the new plans, but I am not allowed to. The only reason the NJT and Boston LF bids failed is because MTS didn't have their finances in order at the time.

IMO, it's never too late to enter a competitive market if you have a solid product.[/Quote]

I find that funny. In this current crappy economy, they want to enter?

And the money they need is already taken care of.[/Quote]

Since when? Looking at the press release back in 2009, they owe millions of dollars with interest to the creditors.... Doesnt sound too good, huh.

True, Nova actually produced the first LF RTS, and MTS will build off that design. The reason I say it is a proven platform is because it is 100% RTS with a dropped floor.

That your opinion, where is hard fact evidence with that claim "proven platform". I dont see the low floor RTS on Altoona testing documents.

The only reason the NJT and Boston LF bids failed is because MTS didn't have their finances in order at the time.

The real reason why they fail the Boston order because they made a mathematical estimate error resulting New Flyer the low bid winner.

In both cases, it proves Millennium Transit is incapable doing large orders with that kind of mistakes. No big TA will ever dare to award to Millennium Transit unless they are proven to have qualified on building the order.

It is very quiet in the past year for Millennium Transit not being in the news, they seem to be history books forever.

Since when? Looking at the press release back in 2009, they owe millions of dollars with interest to the creditors.... Doesnt sound too good, huh.

That your opinion, where is hard fact evidence with that claim "proven platform". I dont see the low floor RTS on Altoona testing documents.

The real reason why they fail the Boston order because they made a mathematical estimate error resulting New Flyer the low bid winner.

In both cases, it proves Millennium Transit is incapable doing large orders with that kind of mistakes. No big TA will ever dare to award to Millennium Transit unless they are proven to have qualified on building the order.

It is very quiet in the past year for Millennium Transit not being in the news, they seem to be history books forever.

Millennium Transit is done btw they went Chapter 11 either late last year or early this year IIRC

By the time they re-enter the market, the economy should be a little better than it is now.

That will be taken care of as well when they emerge from Ch. 11

It's pretty much the same bus that has been around for the last 32 years! The only difference is a t-drive arrangement, and a lowered front section. t-drive has already been tested and proven.

True

Sure they are incapable at this moment because they are shut down. But one mistake doesn't prove anything. And when the new product goes public, I guarantee TA's will line up to see what all the hype is about. And loyal RTS customers will definitely take a hard look at it.

Looks can be decieving!

Millennium Transit is done btw they went Chapter 11 either late last year or early this year IIRC

Just because they are in Ch. 11 doesn't mean they are done. Which they are not!

By the time they re-enter the market, the economy should be a little better than it is now.

Sure, they enter the market after the economy is back in shaped and their competitors already took most of their potential orders since when they are in bankruptcy period.

That will be taken care of as well when they emerge from Ch. 11

Its been 2 years, have they emerged from bankruptcy? I guess not.

It's pretty much the same bus that has been around for the last 32 years! The only difference is a t-drive arrangement, and a lowered front section. t-drive has already been tested and proven.

The design is not yet proven since it is remodeled to low floor, so again: where is hard fact evidence with that claim "proven platform". I dont see the low floor RTS on Altoona testing documents.

Sure they are incapable at this moment because they are shut down. But one mistake doesn't prove anything. And when the new product goes public, I guarantee TA's will line up to see what all the hype is about. And loyal RTS customers will definitely take a hard look at it.

One mistake, I mention two mistakes in this thread. There are many mistakes that the company is not even incapable of building buses in this industry.

There is really no hype on the RTS. It is an old brand name with three companies producing successfully yet they have a common theme, get rid of it and sell it to someone.

Loyal RTS customers....

MTA (NY) are going with Orion (dominated almost 60% of the local fleet), and New Flyer

MBTA is now going with New Flyer, NABI

NJT went with NABI

CTA already went with New Flyer

Dallas (DART) is getting rid of their RTS very soon

Long Beach Transit went with New Flyer

Majority of California transit agency went with New Flyer, NABI, Orion, etc.

So, how loyal customers they are...

Just because they are in Ch. 11 doesn't mean they are done. Which they are not!

Uh, lately a lot of companies that are in Chapter 11; suddenly went out of business; like Neoplan USA. I wont be surprise Millennium Transit is going that direction because of their financial situation.

If you have the latest news about that company speak up because they dont even show up on Google news no more thus everybody including many transit agency guys and in the bus business written off Millennium Transit because its too quiet. No news means little interest on them.

Dude, just give it a rest, because I am not about to sit here and argue with you on a subject you know nothing about!

There have been companies who have been in Ch. 11 for 3, 4, and 5 years and eventually came out.

And the "loyal RTS customer" argument you make is not valid for the simple fact that MTS isn't making any buses right now, so naturally they have no choice but to go to other manufacturers. And sure Dallas is retiring RTS' soon because they are nearly a decade old! Duh, It's not rocket science!

And since you know so damn much, did you know that the very first RTS ever was a low floor? which was modified into a standard high floor??

And lastly, there is no hype because the RTS is not currently in production, but I am very interested that you are the spokesperson for countless TA's across the country.

And you can say whatever you want, but you're not getting any information out of me until it's time. Then all I want to hear is "East New York, I apologize. I was wrong." Then you can pick your lower jaw up off the floor!:)

Archived