The Economic Impact of High-Speed Rail

Citaro

Building high-speed rail networks in the U.S. will have a significant positive economic impact, according to a new study from the U.S. Conference of Mayors. The study, which was conducted by the Economic Development Research group and sponsored by Siemens, shows that in the four urban areas surveyed, high-speed rail could add $19 billion in new business development and 150,000 jobs.

Read the report here: http://www.usa.siemens.com/industry/us/hsr-portal/_assets/Economic_Study_1_Final.pdf

"The global leader in high speed rail is committed to helping the U.S. build a 21st Century rail network that could revitalize city centers, create jobs and stimulate business development while safeguarding the environment for future generations." - Siemens: http://www.usa.siemens.com/industry/us/hsr-portal/hsr-landing.html

Siemens wants to build it:

Youtube Channel of Siemens: http://www.youtube.com/siemens?stc=wwccc010156

• 1 month later...

I hope things go well for the Florida HSR and all other HSR projects.

Results-and-Consequences.jpg

The Transport Politic

If there were ever a time to question the future of the American high-speed rail project, this may well be it: Republicans in Congress have threatened to reduce transportation spending, several states have backed away from previous commitments to projects that once seemed set in stone, and a couple of already funded projects are likely to be canceled.

Actually in reality do you think Americans would give up their cars and planes and travel on a train. No I don't think so. The typical American loves cars not trains. They might have loved it in the year 1834 or somewhere around there, but as soon as the car came they quickly changed. So don't think Americans would give up so easily. That is why every single high speed rail project in the United States got shot down. So if these people really want a high speed rail ride go to Japan, because America would never give up cars and motorcycles easily. Not just that it's not fast enough to compete with aircraft, and not many Americans would use it. It would go bankrupt.

The second reason is Japan is a group of small islands, and Europe is mostly composed of small nations. The United States is a large nation with more then 4000 miles of land from the West to the East Coast. No one in their right mind would be able to do a travel like that in hours. Unless if America builds a high speed Maglev travel from the East to the West Coast would take a day at least. It isn't a great idea to compete with aircraft. Not just that the Appalachian Mountains, and the Rocky Mountains along with Sierra Nevada are a huge barrier between the West and the East. Also you have deserts, rocky terrain, snow, empty plains, dangerous rivers, and deep lakes. You better ask people to do years of hard labor and new tunnels to make it fast enough to compete with aircraft to make it viable.

America isn't going to gain high speed rail right away. America has to realize (I am an American) that they can no longer rely on automobiles and aircraft for their travel. They must realize they can no longer use gasoline like it's free loot. They must be able to invest in new infrastructure and that automobiles are no longer a good idea for travel.

By the time we run out of oil, we will all be dead, cars and buses will be fuel cell, CNG electric hybrid, electric, and/or run on bio fuels. Planes will be hybrid electric, and or use bio fuels. I personally have never been on a train. If I can't get to my destination within 4 hours on the ground, I'm flying! The shortest flight I have ever taken was about an hour. I don't so long distance on the bus or by car. We should have had high speed rail service YEARS ago.

Actually in reality do you think Americans would give up their cars and planes and travel on a train. No I don't think so. The typical American loves cars not trains. They might have loved it in the year 1834 or somewhere around there, but as soon as the car came they quickly changed. So don't think Americans would give up so easily. That is why every single high speed rail project in the United States got shot down. So if these people really want a high speed rail ride go to Japan, because America would never give up cars and motorcycles easily. Not just that it's not fast enough to compete with aircraft, and not many Americans would use it. It would go bankrupt.

The second reason is Japan is a group of small islands, and Europe is mostly composed of small nations. The United States is a large nation with more then 4000 miles of land from the West to the East Coast. No one in their right mind would be able to do a travel like that in hours. Unless if America builds a high speed Maglev travel from the East to the West Coast would take a day at least. It isn't a great idea to compete with aircraft. Not just that the Appalachian Mountains, and the Rocky Mountains along with Sierra Nevada are a huge barrier between the West and the East. Also you have deserts, rocky terrain, snow, empty plains, dangerous rivers, and deep lakes. You better ask people to do years of hard labor and new tunnels to make it fast enough to compete with aircraft to make it viable.

America isn't going to gain high speed rail right away. America has to realize (I am an American) that they can no longer rely on automobiles and aircraft for their travel. They must realize they can no longer use gasoline like it's free loot. They must be able to invest in new infrastructure and that automobiles are no longer a good idea for travel.

I've nothing heard from a coast to coast HSR. I think single corridors can compete with Airplanes.

We are calculated to run out of "easy to find" oil in 15 years at current consumption rate, and all known oil deposits, aside from tar sands, within 40 years. This doesn't mean everything will be ok for 40 years, it means within the next 10 years anything petro-based will steadily start increasing in price & deceasing in availability.

The only real way out is to stop burning fossil fuels for energy in 15 years.

- A

Archived