The Next Air Force One

There is a 99.99% chance the next set of Air Force Ones will be the brand new Boeing 747-8. IMO, The A380 is nice, but the Boeing is best, and it's American. I really don't see the Pentagon ordering a non-American made plane at this point in time.

Air Force One

Late last year, the U.S. Air Force began seeking contractors that will build the next generation of Air Force Ones, scheduled to take to the skies starting in 2017. There is more at stake than just money: building airplanes that carry heads of state is the ultimate in bragging rights for a manufacturer. Like the present-day presidential aircraft, a pair of modified 747-200s, the next jumbo jets in the presidential fleet will most likely be based on familiar civilian planes such as Boeing's 747-400 or 747-8 or the Airbus A350 or A380. Despite appearances, Air Force One is nothing like a civilian plane. The request for information put out by the Air Force hints at some of the engineering issues involved. Modifications (many of which are top-secret, like countermeasures against anti-aircraft missiles and communications gear) make it the single most recognizable and talked-about airplane in the world. "This is the Taj Mahal in the air," says Von Hardesty, author of Air Force One: The Aircraft that Shaped the Modern Presidency. "It embodies the United States of America."

Although finalized plans for the next Air Force One do not yet exist, the history of these storied planes suggests some ground rules for their future incarnation. Here are some of the features that experts says we will see on the next generation of Air Force Ones. — Mark Anderson

Communications and Defense for the Military's Signature Aircraft

As the U.S. military's signature aircraft, Air Force One must have the most advanced and versatile communications and air defense technologies on the planet.

The next Air Force One, Hardesty says, will probably lift a few pages from the designs of the new F-22 Raptor fighter jet. "[The Raptor] can monitor the enemy radar," he says, and it can "deflect, jam or offset any radar-controlled approaching missile systems." Hardesty expects these defensive technologies to be onboard the future presidential jet, in addition to the more familiar flares and chaff—the same that were used against fictional missile strikes in the 1997 blockbuster movie Air Force One.

The next Air Force One will also be easily upgradable, says Joe Hagin, former deputy chief of staff to George W. Bush, and regular passenger on Air Force One from 2001 to 2008. "Technology is advancing so rapidly that by the time the new aircraft becomes operational, there will have been several generations of upgrades already incorporated on the platform," Haggin, now CEO of the Chicago-based Jet Support Services, Inc., wrote via email.

Long-Proven Design

The Air Force relies on thoroughly vetted designs and technologies for its presidential fleet. "The tradition has been to insist on using a design that is already proven in service," Air Force Times columnist Robert F. Dorr, author of the book Air Force One says. "And that would rule out the Boeing 787 or Airbus A350."

Tom Enders, chief executive of the Toulouse, France–based Airbus company, made headlines last week when he told British newspaper The Guardian that Airbus was preparing to offer the new A380 superjumbo aircraft as the next Air Force One. However, both Dorr and Hardesty say they think this reputed "offer" by Airbus was more publicity stunt than anything. "I can't conceive of the U.S. President using the A380," Dorr told PM via email.

All the Amenities for a Second White House

Air Force One is as self-contained a flying machine as possible, capable of serving as a mobile White House and requiring little from any host airports where it lands. This means that an Air Force One must carry everything the president needs to maintain a rigorous travel schedule. This includes meeting rooms and communications gear that are as secure from eavesdropping as the Oval Office. Engineering the more mundane aspects of presidential schedule is also important. The current Air Force Ones, VC-25A aircraft, contain their own kitchens, retractable stairways and baggage loaders. Air Force One boasts its own minihospital, including a pharmacy, emergency room equipment and a fold-out operating table. The VC-25A also travels with its own fleet of in-air refueling tankers, both for itself and for the cargo planes that carry presidential limousines and Marine One, the presidential helicopter.

Timetable for a Choice: Soon

Whatever the provider, time is of the essence to get the new Air Force One fleet designed, built and up-and-running.

"There is a concern in some quarters within the Air Force that they really need the replacement much sooner [than 2017]," Hagin says. "Spare parts are becoming difficult to obtain, since the few 747-200s still flying today are in freighter service or operating in small overseas airlines."

In 2005, the Anglo-Italian company AgustaWestland ignited controversy in Washington when it beat out U.S. contractor Sikorsky Aircraft to manufacture the next generation of Marine Ones. And, said Hagin, if Airbus puts in the best bid, he thinks Europe should win the Air Force One competition too.

"I believe that like the helicopter decision, the company that offers the highest quality platform will prevail," he said. "The president of the United States should be traveling on the safest, most advanced, best aircraft on the market, without compromise."

Artist rendering of an AFO 747-8

AFONE-747-8-thumb-560x337.jpg

Artist rendering of an AFO A380-800

airbus.jpg

The 787 will likely replace the Air Force Two 757's

PROFILE%20-%20US-BOEING-30000-787.gif

IDK, for me, neither of them look as good in that livery as the 742 we have now... but yea, I don't see a non-American plane as Air Force One. Weren't they also considering a 787 variant for AFO?

Yes, but the 787 is an unproven platform right now. Not only that, but I don't see it meeting the requirements for AFO. But I definitely see it as a potential AF2 (752) replacement.

I feel you on the current 742, which is the most unique 742 ever built. It has 744 engines, and it is the fastest 747 ever. They will be 35 years old when they retire in 2017. I still remember the day they were delivered!

But IDK, the 748 looks about the same to me. But I don't think it will look like that. I think it will be the 747-8F structure with the short upper deck.

Yea, i still can't believe both AF1's can cruise right up near the speed of sound.

The airbus would be a mistake, because it can only land at so many places. Traditionally a presidential visit to new york city has had AF1 landing at newark international, JFK is just way too busy especially now with one of the runways closed, and a lot harder to secure due to its location.

I am sure the new AF1 will have beefed up engines, as for the 787 coming into play, i say awesome, it's a nice aircraft and will save money on fuel.

- A

Yea, i still can't believe both AF1's can cruise right up near the speed of sound.

The airbus would be a mistake, because it can only land at so many places. Traditionally a presidential visit to new york city has had AF1 landing at newark international, JFK is just way too busy especially now with one of the runways closed, and a lot harder to secure due to its location.

I am sure the new AF1 will have beefed up engines, as for the 787 coming into play, i say awesome, it's a nice aircraft and will save money on fuel.

- A

The 747 engines are the new ultra fuel efficient General Electric GEnx-2B's. They are derivatives of the new engines offered on the 787, which are direct descendants of the GE90, which has proven itself to be the most reliable widebody engine in history. The Air Force is notorious for selecting GE engines, as they did with the current pair of Air Force Ones. This will also be the first time in nearly 40 years that Boeing has offered only one engine for the 747.

They gotta cut operating cost or lose orders, more efficient engines does that. One engine also simplifies supply chain.

- A

Right. Unfortunately the days of US airlines ordering 747's are over. But I will definitely be awaiting the arrival of the 787 at American, Delta, and United. US Airways has Airbus A350's on order as well, which will be interesting to see. However, I think it will end up being delayed like the A380, and 787. I just don't see the A350 being a solid design as it is right now.

I actually have that issue at home. It's kind of old, because Airbus may actually submit a bid now.

Maybe he meant C-17?

He said stealth, so I knew he couldn't be talking talking about the C-17.

I was typing to quick on this dumb laptop ...It has fill in and I hate it ugh

yes F-117

Excuses, excuses! Lol!

Archived