Baseball Could Shorten Season, Expand Postseason In Two Years

EE Broadway Local

ESPN.com is reporting that Major League Baseball could shorten the regular season and expand the postseason in two years as part of a new agreement.

What might happen:

The regular season is trimmed from 162 games

(Problematic/touchy because of the loss of revenue to teams)

The League Division Series is expanded to best 4 out of 7 from the best 3 out of 5

More WildCard Teams added

(Adding the other two second place teams would make six teams, twelve total; Adding the two third place teams with the best records would make eight teams, sixteen teams total). Adding more WildCard teams would likely mean another round would have to be added (Best 2 out of 3? Best 3 out of 5? The Division Winner with their league's best record is given a bye?)

How do you think Major League Baseball may set this up?

Story from ESPN.com: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5728656

ESPN.com is reporting that Major League Baseball could shorten the regular season and expand the postseason in two years as part of a new agreement.

What might happen:

The regular season is trimmed from 162 games

(Problematic/touchy because of the loss of revenue to teams)

The League Division Series is expanded to best 4 out of 7 from the best 3 out of 5

More WildCard Teams added

(Adding the other two second place teams would make six teams, twelve total; Adding the two third place teams with the best records would make eight teams, sixteen teams total). Adding more WildCard teams would likely mean another round would have to be added (Best 2 out of 3? Best 3 out of 5? The Division Winner with their league's best record is given a bye?)

How do you think Major League Baseball may set this up?

Story from ESPN.com: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5728656

Finally Bud Selig is seeing the light and realize MLB playoffs/world series is not meant to be played this deep into October and early November.

I hope the season is shortned to 154 games as that the regular season total for majority of the 20th Century.

Regarding an extra wild card, it should be only 2 extra teams('1' per league)as I think the idea proposed by Peter Gammons(now of MLB network)WFAN's Mike Francesa NBC/MLB Bob Costas and others has proposed for at least couple of years.

This is how it should set-up

AL/NL wild card game

LDS(best 4 of 7 games)

LCS

World Series

I also think that the seeding should be based on regular season records and that team even in the same divison should be able to play in the LDS.

Interesting. If the postseason were expanded to ten teams (five per league), who would you determine to be the WildCard game teams? Maybe the second place team with the best record and the second place team with the second best record?

Assuming the WildCard game team makes it, that could mean a potential total of twenty-two postseason games at most and seventeen postseason games minimum.

Interesting. If the postseason were expanded to ten teams (five per league), who would you determine to be the WildCard game teams? Maybe the second place team with the best record and the second place team with the second best record?

Assuming the WildCard game team makes it, that could mean a potential total of twenty-two postseason games at most and seventeen postseason games minimum.

Paul aka EE Local it easy. The 2nd wild card team IMO would be the team with the 2nd best record in either the AL or NL regardless of division IMO.

I don't agree with the 7 game division series. I agree with the other proposals. If more teams have a chance of reaching the postseason then that'll boost TV ratings and attendance.

FG it would lessen chances for upsets. In the late '90's, Cleveland had best regular season record couple of times and lost in the 1st round aka the LDS.

Personally if the regular season was shortned i think it's great the LDS is 7 games.

In my mind, it's easier to expand the playoffs to either 12 or 16 teams. It gives more teams some playoff spots and the system is not confusing.

However, the 6 playoff teams of each league would be seeded by record (for example, if one division winner has the worst playoff record, a la 2005 Padres 82-80, they will be the #6 seed). And to make sure any weak team that upsets a strong team doesn't have a bigger advantage in the later rounds, the remaining playoff teams are re-seeded by record after each round. This format would encourage teams, especially division champions, to win more games.

Example

1st Round

1. Reds (98-64, NL Central Winners, first round bye)

2. Braves (95-67, NL East winners, first round bye)

3. Marlins (91-71)

4. Phillies (90-72)

5. Giants (88-74, NL West Winners)

6. Cardinals (86-76)

Cardinals def. Marlins, Phillies def. Giants

2nd Round

1. Reds (98-64)

2. Braves (95-67)

3. Phillies (90-72)

4. Cardinals (86-76)

Cardinals def. Reds, Phillies def. Braves

3rd Round

1. Braves 2. Cardinals

Lenin i disagree with your proposal below. The idea is to end the world series by Oct 30 not extend it further. If you going to do these expanded playoffs you might as keep the current format.

I think this possible proposal of 12 post season teams(6 in each league of AL and NL) and shortned the regular season to 154 games is an excellent idea.

In my mind, it's easier to expand the playoffs to either 12 or 16 teams. It gives more teams some playoff spots and the system is not confusing.

However, the 6 playoff teams of each league would be seeded by record (for example, if one division winner has the worst playoff record, a la 2005 Padres 82-80, they will be the #6 seed). And to make sure any weak team that upsets a strong team doesn't have a bigger advantage in the later rounds, the remaining playoff teams are re-seeded by record after each round. This format would encourage teams, especially division champions, to win more games.

Example

1st Round

1. Reds (98-64, NL Central Winners, first round bye)

2. Braves (95-67, NL East winners, first round bye)

3. Marlins (91-71)

4. Phillies (90-72)

5. Giants (88-74, NL West Winners)

6. Cardinals (86-76)

Cardinals def. Marlins, Phillies def. Giants

2nd Round

1. Reds (98-64)

2. Braves (95-67)

3. Phillies (90-72)

4. Cardinals (86-76)

Cardinals def. Reds, Phillies def. Braves

3rd Round

1. Braves 2. Cardinals

Lenin i disagree with your proposal below. The idea is to end the world series by Oct 30 not extend it further. If you going to do these expanded playoffs you might as keep the current format.

I think this possible proposal of 12 post season teams(6 in each league of AL and NL) and shortned the regular season to 154 games is an excellent idea.

My playoff format would only go to effect if regular season games are reduced, as well as the amounts of travel days within the postseason calendar. If the World Series ends on October 30 or even Halloween, the first round can be a best of 3 with no travel day.

The problem, they say, with any shortening of the regular season is the loss of revenue to the teams.

Another question: If the regular season is shortened to, say, 154 games, where do you lop off the games from? Shorten Interleague Play back to 10 games?

If more WildCard teams are added, unless it is only one, baseball somehow will have to figure out a way to add in a second round to determine the League Championship Teams.

I'd suggest adding the second place team with the second-best record. They meet the second place team with the best record in a one game playoff. Winner advances to the new best 4 out of League Division Series.

By the by, Major League Baseball has pushed the schedule back a tiny bit. The Yankees are scheduled to open on Saturday April 2d vs the Tigers and close Wednesday September 28th at the Rays. The Mets are scheduled to open on Friday April 1st at the Marlins and close Wednesday September 28th vs. the Reds.

The problem, they say, with any shortening of the regular season is the loss of revenue to the teams.

Another question: If the regular season is shortened to, say, 154 games, where do you lop off the games from? Shorten Interleague Play back to 10 games?

If more WildCard teams are added, unless it is only one, baseball somehow will have to figure out a way to add in a second round to determine the League Championship Teams.

I'd suggest adding the second place team with the second-best record. They meet the second place team with the best record in a one game playoff. Winner advances to the new best 4 out of League Division Series.

By the by, Major League Baseball has pushed the schedule back a tiny bit. The Yankees are scheduled to open on Saturday April 2d vs the Tigers and close Wednesday September 28th at the Rays. The Mets are scheduled to open on Friday April 1st at the Marlins and close Wednesday September 28th vs. the Reds.

The question is EE is worth for teams in late sept. out of the playoff race, especially those in last-place to even open the gates for getting at most 20,000 fans(unless it's the red sox cubs and even yankees who ballparks are also tourist attractions)for the few games for maybe an $1 Million profit tops. For almost all of the current MLB Owners $1 Million is pocket change.

Bud Selig in a pre-game 'state of MLB press' conference prior to game 32 has confirmed that he and the owners want to expand the playoff and reduce the regular season schedule and are in talks with the MLB players union on that issue.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/10/28/mlb-commissioner-giants-rangers-series-good-for-baseball/

Archived