Metrocards - Purchasing them online

Via Garibaldi 8

From my understanding, many other cities in the U.S. offer online services to purchase transportation cards, yet the MTA only offers the Easy-Pay-Express-Bus option. Why can't they offer all of their Metrocards online on their website? This would be a great service in areas with lack of subways where most Metrocard vending machines are put, or lack of Metrocard access which is a big problem on Staten Island. Or at least offer the option to refill all types of Metrocards online.

I would be happy to just be able to refill our Metrocards online...and why stop there...Get iPhone, Droid, and Blackberry apps rolling refill on the go...

They are planning this as we speak in DC with the smart trip cards, Pittsburgh's PAT will have it when they roll out their smartcard system....MTA is falling behind in technology

I Hate the EZPay Express, because it takes refilling out of your control......I dont want Automatic refills.

Also EasyPay doesnt allow you to see the new balance when you swipe or dip your card all you get is a "GO" or "Pass OK", so you have no idea when their getting ready to tap your bank account again its totally out of your control.

I also hate that they refill once your balance hits 20$ that alot of cash sitting unused....I could understand 5 or 10$ balance would trigger a refill, but 20$....NOPE NOT WORTH IT

I want total control of when and how much I refill my metrocard for

We are well aware of EasyPayXpress and that is exactly why I brought up the issue because we should be able to refill ANY TYPE of Metrocard online WITHOUT having to sign up for automatic refills. I don't sign up for automatic anything because I want to be in control of what I purchase and when. The MTA needs to step up to the plate and get with the technology that is out there!

The MTA has 5% discounts for train tickets purchased online, but the discount is going away come Dec 30—the cost of packing and mailing tickets is much more than a maintaining a TVM. I would imagine that selling pay-per-ride card this way would run into the same issues. However, like PATH SmartLink, once smart card technology is implemented, auto refill/manual online refill should be possible. Selling weekly or monthly cards online isn't a bad idea either.

At least they don't charge $3/month like NJT does and still offer a 2% discount on monthlies.

SEPTA sells nearly every ticket type online because they charge onboard fare even if there is no office at the boarding station. They don't even have TVM's outside of the 3 Center City stations and the Airport, as far as I know!

You want them to do everything for you? I had one of those for a while (only stoped it becuase we had to cancel the account it was attached to, as it was in my father's name and he passed away) I knew every time it was about to dip in to reload, by simple mental math. it's like balancing your checkbook.

You cannot be serious making a statment like that.....Why do I need to keep mental a balance....A normal PPR Metrocard has no problem with showing you your new balance when swiped, why cant the EZPay...You act like the technology isn't there for it...

I'm sorry I have too much of life to actually keep a "Checkbook" for my Metrocard balance...That's too much of hassle, again when Regular Metrocards provides you the balance.

Archived