Bus Depot Logos

Via Garibaldi 8

I checked to see if this had been discussed before and from what I can see it hasn't. I have some questions about bus logos...

1. How do they go about creating them? Does the same person create the logos or what is the process?

2. Most of the themes are rather straightforward (i.e. Jackie Gleason Depot, but some aren't. Does anyone know the history behind some of them?

For example, I don't quite get Ulmer Park Depot's logo, although I've always liked it. What are the M's supposed to represent? I guess somehow the hands are supposed to represent unity??? lol

Another one I don't get is the Gun Hill Depot logo...???

I've heard that bus operators submit their ideas for a bus depot sticker. A lot of bus ops submitted drawings for the MTA Bus Company stickers and one of my B/O friends at Yukon said he put in a drawing for Charleston with the letter 'C' and a mansion.

I've heard that bus operators submit their ideas for a bus depot sticker. A lot of bus ops submitted drawings for the MTA Bus Company stickers and one of my B/O friends at Yukon said he put in a drawing for Charleston with the letter 'C' and a mansion.

I never knew Charleston had mansions... Maybe he was confused w/Todt Hill... Nonetheless, I think it's good if they let B/Os submit drawings. I mean a lot of them wear the hats with the logo and all. When I was a kid, I remember my uncle giving me a 100st depot hat along with the sticker when he worked out of that depot. I actually wished he worked out of MCH or Walnut Depot. I always thought the Bronx had the best logos.

I never knew Charleston had mansions... Maybe he was confused w/Todt Hill, but I think it's good if they let B/Os submit drawings. I mean a lot of them wear the hats with the logo and all. When I was a kid, I remember my uncle giving me a 100st depot hat along with the sticker when he worked out of that depot. I actually wished he worked out of MCH or Walnut Depot. I always thought the Bronx had the best logos.

Heh not necessary a mansion per se but more of an elegant house...you get the gist of what I'm talking about...however my friend's drawing was not accepted because it represented an actual house and he needed permission from the owner...a whole bunch of crap, I really don't remember much.

Although I'm not a fan of Castleton Depot I do like its sticker, but Meredith's takes the cake. If Castleton's sticker was updated then maybe I would like it more. Grand Avenue's sticker is lame as well as Spring Creek :tdown:

Heh not necessary a mansion per se but more of an elegant house...you get the gist of what I'm talking about...however my friend's drawing was not accepted because it represented an actual house and he needed permission from the owner...a whole bunch of crap, I really don't remember much.

Although I'm not a fan of Castleton Depot I do like its sticker, but Meredith's takes the cake. If Castleton's sticker was updated then maybe I would like it more. Grand Avenue's sticker is lame as well as Spring Creek :tdown:

The one thing that is annoying me is that all of our logos here on SI are yellow except Castleton. I like all of them, but aside from Yukon, the Meredith and Charleston Depot logos will be a pain in the ass to differentiate from a far. I was checking out an x17 coming home last night and it was too dark to confirm if it was a Charleston decal or not, but it sure looked like it. I sometimes use the decal to confirm which bus it is when I can't see the signage and with several express bus lines that I use switching depots, I probably won't be able to do that anymore.

I think the Castleton Depot can be much better. Maybe they'll update it when they rehab the depot.

Gun Hill's logo looks like an American theme. The original logo featured a cannon which commemorated the colonists bringing a cannon up a hill in January 1777 and firing it at the British during the American Revolution. That hill, now inside Woodlawn Cemetary was called Gun Hill shortly after the colonists act.

Original Gun Hill Depot Logo: http://media.photobucket.com/image/Gun%20Hill%20Depot%20Logo/noflexdont/015-1.jpg

credit to noflexdont

Current Gun Hill Depot Logo:

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/images/b/bb/Gun_Hill.jpg

credit to Mr. Trevor Logan, Jr., ttmg, and mediawiki

• 3 weeks later...
Quill, Jamaica, Meredith, Queens Village, and Gleason all have the top 5, in my opinion.

The bottom 5 (worst is listed last) are Eastchester, Yonkers, Far Rockaway, Baisley Park, and Spring Creek.

QV? Really??? I would switch QV with Eastchester on your list IMO.

My top five would be Manhattanville, Tuskegee Airmen, Jakie Gleason, Kingsbridge and Eastchester

Worst 5: Spring Creek, Laguardia, Castleton, Queens Village and Grand Ave.

I agree. MTA Bus was hung out to dry when it comes to logos.

Not quite, with the exception of Spring Creek, the MTA Bus logos represent the area they serve, the former PBL, or both. Take a closer look at them

Yonkers shows a New Look bus and lettering reminiscent of the 1950s. and signs showing the areas the old PBL Liberty Lines Express served.

Eastchester features a building from Co-Op City and the flatiron building which all NYBS routes terminated at.

College Point features a Skyline similar to the nearby NY Mets logo and a 3 leaf clover which was the logo for the PBL Queens Surface.

Baisley Park to me is one of the coolest. It features well, a scene from the nearby Park and PBL Jamaica Buses colors

JFK has the airport's control tower and Green Lines color

Far Rockaway, although no testament to Green Lines, shows the subway viaduct, ocean waves, and an approaching airliner.

La Guardia has the RFK bridge (formally the triborough), LGA"S control tower and is in Triboro Coach red.

I still find most of the MTA Bus depot logos incredibly tacky. I couldn't care less if they have some depiction of the area of

Queens/Brooklyn/The Bronx they're in. Same with LIB's new logos.

There's no major difference between the two. An airplane for Mitchel Field and a lighthouse for Rockville Centre

The NG CNGs on the new logos are missing the goddamned CNG tanks on top... how the **** did they miss that? LI's fleet has BEEN all CNG since 2002 and that's all that rolls around. The only diesels on any LIB property are the D4500s in Mitchel Field.

On top of that, Rockville Centre is nowhere near any water, or any lighthouses.... the classic logo is better and is just nice to see on the Orion Vs.

The NG CNGs on the new logos are missing the goddamned CNG tanks on top... how the **** did they miss that? LI's fleet has BEEN all CNG since 2002 and that's all that rolls around. The only diesels on any LIB property are the D4500s in Mitchel Field.

On top of that, Rockville Centre is nowhere near any water, or any lighthouses.... the classic logo is better and is just nice to see on the Orion Vs.

actually, that "classic" logo isnt that classic. When LIB was known as MSBA, the Rockville Centre logo was similar to Fresh Pond but instead of the duck and marsh, it was an RVC with the V taking up most of the space. Its so far back, i doubt it can be found online. :o

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

One thing I noticed is that a good majority of them are blue & orange. Fresh Pond came about since that whole area of upper Ridgewood & western Glendale used to be a giant swamp.

Far Rockaway looks like the wave is gonna wash everything away

The OG on Grand Av is the exact one as the OG on the new Amsterdam logo...look for yourself :eek:

Before Jackie Gleason got renamed, the old 5 Av depot logo looked awesome

Archived