Charleston Depot Update/New Express Bus Schedules

Via Garibaldi 8

This new assignment screwed up my busfanning plans. I really wanted to ride a CT. All of the Hylan Blvd routes use the lower level of the Verrazano. The only good thing is that the X2 and X5 use the FDR.

Leaving Staten Island they all use the upper level, so you could bus fan in the morning if you want to catch any of the 22xxs out of Yukon, or take one of the BM buses. They have some 22xxs as well. It's only coming back that many of the express buses use the lower level. The X10B, X11, X12, X17, X19 and X31 normally use the upper level since they travel along the SIE for extended periods of time. In the morning all express buses going via the Verrazano take the upper level because they need to get to the HOV lane coming off of the Verrazano in Bay Ridge. :cool:

Question: What is the x10B....I can't figure that one out?

X10B is the Lower Manhattan bypass...it operates via West Street and resumes making regular stops along its regular route north of Houston Street. It also makes no stops east of Slosson/Gannon Avenues in Staten Island.

X10B is the Lower Manhattan bypass...it operates via West Street and resumes making regular stops along its regular route north of Houston Street.

I noticed with the X27 and X28, they actually have the signage which says X27B or X27B and then the regular X27 and X28. For the X10 they don't have that. Going back to Staten Island, they all say X10 PT RICHMOND, and if you forget that they have split routes you can get screwed since the X10B's first stop is Slosson and Narrows Rd North, while the regular X10 (aka X10C) makes all normal stops. They should really change that and make it clearer because it's just a guessing game. Luckily for me I usually get off at Slosson, but I've been caught off guard a few times when it turns on Houston and goes down West St.

There are a few X10Cs that bypass the stops on Narrows Road North. (5 in the AM and 2 in the PM)

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x010cur.pdf

That's why I always ask the driver if I am unsure of the stops.

I actually forgot about those X10Cs... I've taken a few of those myself. It took me a while to get the whole X10 set up... Sometimes the drivers even get confused. I've taken X10s on the weekends by Slosson, which should all do the normal X10C and a few drivers have bypassed the remaining stops and take the SIE straight to the city. Knowing that this is a possibility, I always try to catch the X10 by Slosson Ave. One afternoon a few years back I got screwed waiting for two X10s and I'm certain they must've bypassed the stop at Targee by the service road and taken the SIE. B)

The reason for the X10 bypassing those stops during rush hour is because the service road after Slosson Ave is served by other express buses (i.e. X14, X15 at Targee St. and then the Hylan Blvd express buses. Also by Slosson Ave, the bus is usually completely full.

They still need to add one more X14 to help out with the morning run. There is too much of a gap between when the last X14 and X15 come during the morning rush and when the first X10 no longer bypasses the remaining stops after Slosson Avenue.

Archived