X30 out of Meredith

Via Garibaldi 8

So it looks like the changes are going through although some depots clearly haven't changed their logos yet. While waiting for the X2 this morning, I saw several Yukon buses with Castleton logos pass by on the X1...

One of the changes that baffled me is the X30 running out of Meredith. The route starts and ends at Victory and Clove in Sunnyside which is about 10 minutes or so from Castleton Depot. I am already hearing about pissed X30 riders who waited a good 40 minutes for an express bus and hoards of people left waiting out in the cold. Why in the world would they move the X30 to Meredith? If the MTA thought there were improving reliability on a line that had tons of problems running out of Castleton then they were completely wrong. :o My question is what is the likelihood of the route being moved back to Castleton? Is it a question of people making noise?

I had a feeling that when this was all said and done they would leave the X10 and X14 at Castleton. I don't see the X30 going back anytime soon because they're really scaling back the amount of buses at that depot to curb the overcrowding.

I had a feeling that when this was all said and done they would leave the X10 and X14 at Castleton. I don't see the X30 going back anytime soon because they're really scaling back the amount of buses at that depot to curb the overcrowding.

I've been using it less of late because even before the switch it's been rather irractic and I'm concerned that people might start using other alternatives as I've been... I already saw an X30 rider waiting with me at Hylan today... A few buses have been MIA... I will see how this continues and if it becomes worse I'll be writing my representatives to push for it to be put back at Castleton. The last thing I want to see is that line go down the tubes, which would mean no express bus service on Forest past Pt Richmond Avenue. :mad:

You mean that they would cut it back to run from Port Richmond Avenue to Midtown, or they would cut it completely?

I can't really see why they moved it either. Between the X13, X16, X18, and X20 (Was it based out of Castleton?) being eliminated, I would've thought that would've freed up enough space.

By the way, where is the bulk of the ridership on the X30? I see about 4-5 people per bus get off at Forest Avenue/South Avenue, but is the ridership spread out, or concentrated in a certain neighborhood?

You mean that they would cut it back to run from Port Richmond Avenue to Midtown, or they would cut it completely?

I can't really see why they moved it either. Between the X13, X16, X18, and X20 (Was it based out of Castleton?) being eliminated, I would've thought that would've freed up enough space.

By the way, where is the bulk of the ridership on the X30? I see about 4-5 people per bus get off at Forest Avenue/South Avenue, but is the ridership spread out, or concentrated in a certain neighborhood?

The bulk of it comes at three stops... Richmond Ave & Forest, Maple Parkway & Forest and Harbor Rd & Forest. The biggest is Maple Parkway because people park their cars in the big parking lot by Western Beef, so it serves as a "park and ride". I usually get on at Clove & Forest or Bement & Forest depending on my mood and if I have to make stops before I take the express bus. It picks up steady streams of people From Sunnyside to West Brighton but there are not lines of people until Richmond Avenue. The last stop by South Avenue is also a big one too since the X17J stops there too. The folks you see getting off at South Ave... Some of them live in the conodos further down on South Ave, which from my understanding was why the MTA re-routed the X30 to meet with the X17 so that they would have more express bus service.

With the economy down the tubes, ridership isn't as high as it used to be, but still healthy, which is actually a good thing because it's actually quiet now. Back a few years ago when everyone thought they could afford a house and two cars, we had some riff raff, but since the fare went up and the economy brought people down to earth, it's just the normal express bus riders riding. :cool:

Last night however I was pissed. I got on as did everyone else thinking it was the last bus because the B/O came at the exact time that the last one normally comes and we were crushed. The bus had plenty of seats when I got on at 45th and 5th, but it was friggin' SRO at the last stop! One person got off since he didn't want to stand and quite frankly had I been able to I would've too but I already was seated next to someone. I like having my own seat especially with my long legs. I was so pissed being cramped for the whole ride. Problem is with the new picks I'm still getting used to the new faces so now that I know who is who I'll know to wait for the last bus which I'm sure was empty. :mad:

The B/O said there was a lot of traffic, which clearly was the case because we passed 3 X14s coming down Forest. I was tempted to take the X14 behind the X30, but I didn't feel like walking.

As far as your question goes, yes, the X13, X16, X18 and X20 all ran out of Castleton, as did the X11, X12 and X22, so they only have the X10 and X14 and maybe parts of a few other lines here and there until the switch is fully in effect. There should be plenty of room to keep the X30 there.

I guess that makes sense-if you go east of Richmond Avenue, you compete with the X14 for passengers (and the time savings aren't as great further east in Silver Lake, compared to Mariners' Harbor/Graniteville).

By the way, when did they start serving the South Avenue/Goethals Road North area with express buses? (even though I live near there, I always used to walk to Richmond Avenue whenever I needed an express bus). I know it started out with the X17J having a stop there and then the X30 was rerouted there, but do you know when they did that?

I wonder if you can technically be towed for parking in that Western Beef lot without shopping at any of the stores there. I heard that there was something going on near Pathmark where the people would watch to see if you went off the lot and would tow you if you did. Then again, the Western Beef lot is almost never full.

Speaking of that parking lot, I wonder why they couldn't have a similar layout as ShopRite, where the supermarket is right next to the street and parking is further back. It is annoying to run across the parking lot with heavy bags if you see a bus coming.

I guess that makes sense-if you go east of Richmond Avenue, you compete with the X14 for passengers (and the time savings aren't as great further east in Silver Lake, compared to Mariners' Harbor/Graniteville).

By the way, when did they start serving the South Avenue/Goethals Road North area with express buses? (even though I live near there, I always used to walk to Richmond Avenue whenever I needed an express bus). I know it started out with the X17J having a stop there and then the X30 was rerouted there, but do you know when they did that?

I wonder if you can technically be towed for parking in that Western Beef lot without shopping at any of the stores there. I heard that there was something going on near Pathmark where the people would watch to see if you went off the lot and would tow you if you did. Then again, the Western Beef lot is almost never full.

Speaking of that parking lot, I wonder why they couldn't have a similar layout as ShopRite, where the supermarket is right next to the street and parking is further back. It is annoying to run across the parking lot with heavy bags if you see a bus coming.

The reroute started a few years ago somewhere during 2008 I recall correctly. Originally people were a little ticked off including myself thinking that it would take longer, but it is actually quicker since it is basically the same amount of stops. Many were irritated that the "prima donnas" in the condos there on South Ave had to be catered to and have the bus rerouted especially just for them.

To be honest it's a good thing because past South Ave it is quite deserted, so rerouting down South Avenue to meet up w/the X17 was a good thing. It also helps to boost ridership by serving that little condo community there of people that can afford the express bus, since we both know that Mariners Harbor north of Forest Ave and South Ave isn't exactly "la crème de la crème" (i.e. projects near Arlington).

We once were re-routed on an X30 and had to come down Richmond Terrace and then down South Ave. I couldn't believe I was in Staten Island. So run down and poor... :eek: I was thankful that the express bus zoomed down to Forest and didn't break down.

The stop there on Forest near South Ave going towards NJ was disgusting. Nothing but weeds. I always felt like some sort of sick stalker was hiding back there in the weeds as I observed from the express bus. :eek:

Regarding the parking situation, there are some people that park in that parking lot there by Richmond & Forest too, which is why Richmond Ave is a big stop. I've never seen anyone get a ticket yet in either parking area and I've been taking the X30 off and on since 2006.

Regarding Silver Lake, that's true. However, the X30 is still very vital for Randall Manor, West Brighton and Silver Lake folks because for me, since I live near the SI Zoo, the X14 is a good 10 - 15 minute walk, and is uphill depending on where I get on or off at. I am more inclined to take it during the spring time when it's nice to take a stroll from the express bus near the SI Zoo or there by Clove Lakes Park and pass the pond and such there by Martling Ave. :cool:

The thing is that X17J is often really crowded by the time it gets to that area (though I think short-turning some buses at the ETC has helped redistribute the passengers. So, in addition to the X17J, another route (in this case, the X30) should help serve them.

Actually, if you think about it, there is no easy way for them to get to Lower Manhattan. They either have to walk over to Richmond Avenue for the X17A (longer walk, but faster) or X12 (shorter walk, but slower). For that reason, I think the X19 should be rerouted down South Avenue instead of the WSE (which can often get crowded, so the travel time shouldn't be much more)

Personally, while the area around Richmond Terrace may seem a bit run-down, I've never had any problems in the rest of Mariners' Harbor, even near the Mariners' Harbor Houses. I think most of the problems are north of the ROW for the Notrh Shore Rail Line.

The thing is that X17J is often really crowded by the time it gets to that area (though I think short-turning some buses at the ETC has helped redistribute the passengers. So, in addition to the X17J, another route (in this case, the X30) should help serve them.

Actually, if you think about it, there is no easy way for them to get to Lower Manhattan. They either have to walk over to Richmond Avenue for the X17A (longer walk, but faster) or X12 (shorter walk, but slower). For that reason, I think the X19 should be rerouted down South Avenue instead of the WSE (which can often get crowded, so the travel time shouldn't be much more)

A bit run down??? lol... Like I said, I couldn't believe I was on Staten Island. I thought I was in a third world country. There are areas of Port Richmond like that too. It's amazing how things change once you go North towards Richmond Terrace past Forest Avenue in some areas.

Personally, while the area around Richmond Terrace may seem a bit run-down, I've never had any problems in the rest of Mariners' Harbor, even near the Mariners' Harbor Houses. I think most of the problems are north of the ROW for the Notrh Shore Rail Line.

I can tell you one thing... X17 riders were not happy about these additional stops. They feel that it makes too many stops towards the North Shore when it is supposed to be serving South Shore and West Shore residents and I agree. If any X17s should stop there, they should start further north. The X17 can run in packs which means overcrowding. I've observed as we've waited to make the turn from South Ave. at that last stop and sometimes you'll see three X17s packed together. The weird thing is there's a dispatcher there usually so I don't know how they're allowed to bunch like that. :)

There is no need to re-route the X19. That should be kept for South Shore residents. Besides those condo folks have been pampered enough by having two express buses re-routed just to suite their needs. Meanwhile most of the well-to-do parts of Forest Avenue has just the X30. If they can re-route the X19 over there in what is mainly a run down neighborhood, then well-to-do folks of West Brighton, Randall Manor and the condo folks over in Silver Lake should get their X16 back.

They can take the X12 on Forest and South Ave. It is certainly within walking distance from the condo duplex and has plenty of seats since most of them start at South and Forest anyway. From Mariners Harbor to Downtown, it's about 45 - 50 minutes. The X16 from West Brighton to Downtown was about 40 minutes, so that's not bad at all. In fact, I've taken the X12 from Midtown (45th and 5th) to Slosson and Victory and it's only 50 minutes or so tops unless there is some sort of traffic and even then it's maybe an hour.

So it looks like the changes are going through although some depots clearly haven't changed their logos yet. While waiting for the X2 this morning, I saw several Yukon buses with Castleton logos pass by on the X1...

One of the changes that baffled me is the X30 running out of Meredith. The route starts and ends at Victory and Clove in Sunnyside which is about 10 minutes or so from Castleton Depot. I am already hearing about pissed X30 riders who waited a good 40 minutes for an express bus and hoards of people left waiting out in the cold. Why in the world would they move the X30 to Meredith? If the MTA thought there were improving reliability on a line that had tons of problems running out of Castleton then they were completely wrong. :) My question is what is the likelihood of the route being moved back to Castleton? Is it a question of people making noise?

Well, you are going to be surprised but the x30 is actually split with Yukon. Yukon has the majority of the runs.

Well, you are going to be surprised but the x30 is actually split with Yukon. Yukon has the majority of the runs.

Why in the world would Yukon have any runs? That's like running the X22 out of Castleton when it goes to Tottenville. Why can't they run the X30 out of Castleton??? I've heard that some B/Os are bitching because they're saying that they're not coming to work 30 - 40 minutes earlier when they're not being paid so that they can get over to Clove and Forest for the first stop. This is a real mess, but so far I've only seen X30s out of Meredith... To be continued...

I can tell you one thing... X17 riders were not happy about these additional stops. They feel that it makes too many stops towards the North Shore when it is supposed to be serving South Shore and West Shore residents and I agree. If any X17s should stop there, they should start further north. The X17 can run in packs which means overcrowding. I've observed as we've waited to make the turn from South Ave. at that last stop and sometimes you'll see three X17s packed together. The weird thing is there's a dispatcher there usually so I don't know how they're allowed to bunch like that. :o

There is no need to re-route the X19. That should be kept for South Shore residents. Besides those condo folks have been pampered enough by having two express buses re-routed just to suite their needs. Meanwhile most of the well-to-do parts of Forest Avenue has just the X30. If they can re-route the X19 over there in what is mainly a run down neighborhood, then well-to-do folks of West Brighton, Randall Manor and the condo folks over in Silver Lake should get their X16 back.

They can take the X12 on Forest and South Ave. It is certainly within walking distance from the condo duplex and has plenty of seats since most of them start at South and Forest anyway. From Mariners Harbor to Downtown, it's about 45 - 50 minutes. The X16 from West Brighton to Downtown was about 40 minutes, so that's not bad at all. In fact, I've taken the X12 from Midtown (45th and 5th) to Slosson and Victory and it's only 50 minutes or so tops unless there is some sort of traffic and even then it's maybe an hour.

So first that neighborhood is full of "prima donnas" and people who can afford the express bus and suddenly, it it is "mainly a run down neighborhood"?

In other posts you complain about how the South Shore always gets better service than the North Shore, and now that neighborhood isn't entitled to a bus?

Personally, what I think should happen is that the dispatcher (for the X17J)should be standing at Goethals Road North/Richmond Avenue. If the bus has room available, he has to serve South Avenue. If not, he is allowed to go right onto the SIE.

Also (and I'm not using any stats on this-just common sense) it is much cheaper to reroute a few buses than to revive a full route.

Why in the world would Yukon have any runs? That's like running the X22 out of Castleton when it goes to Tottenville. Why can't they run the X30 out of Castleton??? I've heard that some B/Os are bitching because they're saying that they're not coming to work 30 - 40 minutes earlier when they're not being paid so that they can get over to Clove and Forest for the first stop. This is a real mess, but so far I've only seen X30s out of Meredith... To be continued...

I believe at one point, some X22s actually were based out of Castleton.

Personally, what I think should happen is that the dispatcher (for the X17J)should be standing at Goethals Road North/Richmond Avenue. If the bus has room available, he has to serve South Avenue. If not, he is allowed to go right onto the SIE.

But then there would be issues with the schedule...South Av-ers never know if a bus will come or not.

I'm sure there would be ways of making sure they get service. During the peak or the peak, you could raise the standards to say "buses with less than 7 people standing have to serve South Avenue).

If nothing else, they have the X30.

And if there's one of those surges of riders?

So first that neighborhood is full of "prima donnas" and people who can afford the express bus and suddenly, it it is "mainly a run down neighborhood"?

In other posts you complain about how the South Shore always gets better service than the North Shore, and now that neighborhood isn't entitled to a bus?

Also (and I'm not using any stats on this-just common sense) it is much cheaper to reroute a few buses than to revive a full route.

I believe at one point, some X22s actually were based out of Castleton.

Actually, when I referred to "prima donnas", I was talking specificially about that little condo complex and not Mariners Harbor as a whole. You and I know that Mariners Harbor as a whole is a crappy neighborhood, especially going north on South Avenue past Forest, BUT there are small "pockets" in Mariners Harbor that are okay...

Regarding express bus service for the North Shore, yes, I have advocated for express bus service for the North Shore, but to have a friggin' small condo community have three express bus re-routed when they were in walking distance to two of them originally (X12 and X30) and have entire neighorhoods effected as a result is a little overkill. We're talking about walking 2 or 3 blocks tops for them. I walk a good 5 - 10 blocks to the X14 and X30... Meanwhile they had the X17 and X30 re-routed just for their little condo community while several well-to-do neighorhoods on the North Shore had their Downtown express bus eliminated and NOTHING was re-routed to replace it. It's one thing to advocate for better service for entire neighorhoods or at least large segments of them and another to pamper one small section of people because it reeks of favoritism.

You can re-route three express bus for one small condo community within ONE neighborhood, yet you leave several neighborhoods with more well-to-do-folks that can afford the express bus without an express bus?

That's exactly why most of the X12s start at South and Forest instead of at Richmond Terrace and South because no one is really using them past Forest and South Avenue.

Regarding the X22, yes they were based out of Castleton and I mentioned that in a previous post when you asked about what express buses were originally out of Castleton. I was using the X22 as an example for my argument for the X30 being put back to run back out of Castleton because the X22 was based out of Castleton yet ran to Tottenville.

Actually, when I referred to "prima donnas", I was talking specificially about that little condo complex and not Mariners Harbor as a whole. You and I know that Mariners Harbor as a whole is a crappy neighborhood, especially going north on South Avenue past Forest, BUT there are small "pockets" in Mariners Harbor that are okay...

Regarding express bus service for the North Shore, yes, I have advocated for express bus service for the North Shore, but to have a friggin' small condo community have three express bus re-routed when they were in walking distance to two of them originally (X12 and X30) and have entire neighorhoods effected as a result is a little overkill. We're talking about walking 2 or 3 blocks tops for them. I walk a good 5 - 10 blocks to the X14 and X30... Meanwhile they had the X17 and X30 re-routed just for their little condo community while several well-to-do neighorhoods on the North Shore had their Downtown express bus eliminated and NOTHING was re-routed to replace it. It's one thing to advocate for better service for entire neighorhoods or at least large segments of them and another to pamper one small section of people because it reeks of favoritism.

You can re-route three express bus for one small condo community within ONE neighborhood, yet you leave several neighborhoods with more well-to-do-folks that can afford the express bus without an express bus?

That's exactly why most of the X12s start at South and Forest instead of at Richmond Terrace and South because no one is really using them past Forest and South Avenue.

Regarding the X22, yes they were based out of Castleton and I mentioned that in a previous post when you asked about what express buses were originally out of Castleton. I was using the X22 as an example for my argument for the X30 being put back to run back out of Castleton because the X22 was based out of Castleton yet ran to Tottenville.

Anything south of Forest Avenue isn't crappy (and since I live just south of the SIE, and go there often, I know what I'm talking about). Like I said, the only "crappy" part is north of the railroad ROW.

Lets not debate this any further since neither of us is going to change our minds regarding Mariners' Harbor (and that condo complex isn't even in Mariners' Harbor)

And, no that condo complex isn't 2-3 blocks away from an express bus-it is at least 7-8 blocks from Forest Avenue (and the only option they have to get to Downtown is the X12, which makes local stops through half of Staten Island before it finally gets on the SIE)

Like I said, rerouting one bus line is going to cost much less than reviving a whole route. Also, part of the reason why they need at least one express bus to Downtown and one to Midtown is because they are the last stop before going to Manhattan (unless they want to use a slower route). That is like complaining that the X14 and X15 have to stop in Arrochar when they could just go straight onto the SIE at Targee Street.

One of the changes that baffled me is the X30 running out of Meredith. The route starts and ends at Victory and Clove in Sunnyside which is about 10 minutes or so from Castleton Depot. I am already hearing about pissed X30 riders who waited a good 40 minutes for an express bus and hoards of people left waiting out in the cold. Why in the world would they move the X30 to Meredith? If the MTA thought there were improving reliability on a line that had tons of problems running out of Castleton then they were completely wrong. :) My question is what is the likelihood of the route being moved back to Castleton? Is it a question of people making noise?

You're not alone. Be like moving the 57 to Charleston.

Anything south of Forest Avenue isn't crappy (and since I live just south of the SIE, and go there often, I know what I'm talking about). Like I said, the only "crappy" part is north of the railroad ROW.

Lets not debate this any further since neither of us is going to change our minds regarding Mariners' Harbor (and that condo complex isn't even in Mariners' Harbor)

And, no that condo complex isn't 2-3 blocks away from an express bus-it is at least 7-8 blocks from Forest Avenue (and the only option they have to get to Downtown is the X12, which makes local stops through half of Staten Island before it finally gets on the SIE)

Like I said, rerouting one bus line is going to cost much less than reviving a whole route. Also, part of the reason why they need at least one express bus to Downtown and one to Midtown is because they are the last stop before going to Manhattan (unless they want to use a slower route). That is like complaining that the X14 and X15 have to stop in Arrochar when they could just go straight onto the SIE at Targee Street.

7-8 blocks?? That's a bit of an exaggeration buddy unless we're talking about different condo complexes... I pass by there enough on the express bus and I'll take the X30 on Monday and will note exactly how many blocks it is. If it's not Mariners Harbor then what is it? Chelsea? Either way, you and I know that those express buses are mainly serving that little condo complex there and they're being pampered at the expense of other neighborhoods who lost their express bus, so I would certainly take issue with yet another express bus being re-routed just for them when they can walk to the X12 (even if it is 7-8 blocks) and be Downtown in 50 minutes and have access to two other express buses going to Midtown. As I said previously, it took 40 minutes to get from West Brighton to Downtown on the X16, so an extra 10 mins. from Mariners Harbor is pretty decent. You seem to forget that the X12 takes the SIE after Victory and Slosson which saves a good 10 - 15 minutes right there, so it's not that long at all. Besides, you make it sound like the X19 is need of ridership. It gets more than enough usage on the South Shore, so much in fact that extending it there could lead to SRO problems.

Regarding your comment, yes you're right about the area being good south of Forest Ave. If you read my previous posts I said NORTH of Forest Ave towards Richmond Terrace is crappy going on South Ave. And that my friend you know is true.... The general rule is that Forest Ave acts as the division line between the crappy areas and good areas and in some cases you can a bit further north of Forest Avenue by the borderline and the area is still nice (i.e. West Brighton up to about Delafield Ave, Randall Manor, etc.)

7-8 blocks?? That's a bit of an exaggeration buddy unless we're talking about different condo complexes... I pass by there enough on the express bus and I'll take the X30 on Monday and will note exactly how many blocks it is. If it's not Mariners Harbor then what is it? Chelsea? Either way, you and I know that those express buses are mainly serving that little condo complex there and they're being pampered at the expense of other neighborhoods who lost their express bus, so I would certainly take issue with yet another express bus being re-routed just for them when they can walk to the X12 (even if it is 7-8 blocks) and be Downtown in 50 minutes and have access to two other express buses going to Midtown. As I said previously, it took 40 minutes to get from West Brighton to Downtown on the X16, so an extra 10 mins. from Mariners Harbor is pretty decent. You seem to forget that the X12 takes the SIE after Victory and Slosson which saves a good 10 - 15 minutes right there, so it's not that long at all.

Regarding your comment, yes you're right about the area being good south of Forest Ave. If you read my previous posts I said NORTH of Forest Ave towards Richmond Terrace is crappy going on South Ave. And that my friend you know is true.... The general rule is that Forest Ave acts as the division line between the crappy areas and good areas and in some cases you can a bit further north of Forest Avenue by the borderline and the area is still nice (i.e. West Brighton up to about Delafield Ave, Randall Manor, etc.)

I'm referring to the ones at South Avenue/Goethals Road North, which is in the neighborhood of Graniteville (and the reason I know that is because that is my neighborhood). And counting the blocks doesn't work because there is one very long block between Amador Street and Wemple Street that is more like 3-4 blocks.

Even if they walk to the X12, you add the walking time to the actual travel time and you get a figure of closer to an hour. Why make them spend an extra 15-20 minutes when some X19s can be rerouted at very little cost? (not to mention, they'll avoid the traffic that comes when the WSE merges with the SIE).

Like I said, you can say that the situation is similar to the are near Fingerboard Road as far as express bus service goes.

This is what I feel applies west of the Martin Luther King Expressway:

South of Forest Avenue is good

Forest Avenue->NSRR ROW isn't the best, but it is still alright

North of the NSRR ROW is the crappy part

East of the Martin Luther King Expressway, you are pretty much correct (with the exception of the area around Snug Harbor, which is pretty good)

This is based on experience in those areas, between taking the S46 home from school, going shopping, visiting friends, and going to my after-school job in that area.

I'm referring to the ones at South Avenue/Goethals Road North, which is in the neighborhood of Graniteville (and the reason I know that is because that is my neighborhood). And counting the blocks doesn't work because there is one very long block between Amador Street and Wemple Street that is more like 3-4 blocks.

Even if they walk to the X12, you add the walking time to the actual travel time and you get a figure of closer to an hour. Why make them spend an extra 15-20 minutes when some X19s can be rerouted at very little cost? (not to mention, they'll avoid the traffic that comes when the WSE merges with the SIE).

Like I said, you can say that the situation is similar to the are near Fingerboard Road as far as express bus service goes.

This is what I feel applies west of the Martin Luther King Expressway:

South of Forest Avenue is good

Forest Avenue->NSRR ROW isn't the best, but it is still alright

North of the NSRR ROW is the crappy part

East of the Martin Luther King Expressway, you are pretty much correct (with the exception of the area around Snug Harbor, which is pretty good)

This is based on experience in those areas, between taking the S46 home from school, going shopping, visiting friends, and going to my after-school job in that area.

The X17 and X30 do not stop anywhere near where they stop during the morning run. In fact those who take the X30 get off right where they'd catch the X12 at if they were going Downtown in the a.m. so clearly the walk isn't that bad otherwise both buses would've been re-routed both ways, OR maybe its that the MTA felt like they were already pampering them by re-routing the a.m. runs. I remember how the MTA made a point to say that it was just during the a.m. and how it wouldn't be a big inconvenience because people were not happy about it and argued that it was nothing more than pampering those folks. You have to remember that they have a one seat one stop ride to Manhattan compared to others like myself who have a 20 minute ride from West Brighton before even getting that to that last stop. X19 commuters have a long enough commute from the South Shore as it is, as do X17 riders.

The X17 coming home be it the X17C or X17J stops all the way over by Richmond Ave, certainly a good ways from South Avenue.

The reason is that there is no South Avenue exit on the SIE, so the buses can't serve that neighborhood.

In the AM, the X17J goes down Goethals Road North and gets on the SIE at Forest Avenue. However, in the PM, the route from the Forest Avenue exit is blocked by the WSE. The buses would have to go down Gulf Avenue, across Edward Curry Avenue and then back up South Avenue in order to serve that neighborhood (and, there is no easy place to put a bus stop along Fahy Avenue, but that can be fixed somewhat by putting the bus stop at Fahy Avenue/Felton Street)

The same problem exists with the X30.

The only possible way to bring service to this area would be to have the X17J get off the SIE at Forest Avenue and take Forest Avenue->South Avenue->Fahy Avenue. That actually wouldn't be too bad, since it would avoid some of the traffic at the WSE/SIE interchange (though the traffic is more in the westbound direction). However, the MTA probably feels that it isn't as critical in the PM rush (IMO, they should actually do this).

The reason is that there is no South Avenue exit on the SIE, so the buses can't serve that neighborhood.

In the AM, the X17J goes down Goethals Road North and gets on the SIE at Forest Avenue. However, in the PM, the route from the Forest Avenue exit is blocked by the WSE. The buses would have to go down Gulf Avenue, across Edward Curry Avenue and then back up South Avenue in order to serve that neighborhood (and, there is no easy place to put a bus stop along Fahy Avenue, but that can be fixed somewhat by putting the bus stop at Fahy Avenue/Felton Street)

The same problem exists with the X30.

The only possible way to bring service to this area would be to have the X17J get off the SIE at Forest Avenue and take Forest Avenue->South Avenue->Fahy Avenue. That actually wouldn't be too bad, since it would avoid some of the traffic at the WSE/SIE interchange (though the traffic is more in the westbound direction). However, the MTA probably feels that it isn't as critical in the PM rush (IMO, they should actually do this).

They also know that if they did it people would be pissed. All of that re-routing esp. on the X30 when they can walk those few blocks... Smh

P.S. We have actually came up South Ave both from the north and from the south due to being re-routed as we couldn't use the Goethals Bridge. If there is traffic or something is blocked it can take forever to get through NJ. That's why I think re-routing either the X17 or X30 in the PM is a terrible idea.

The X30 would be basically impossible to reroute, so the only option would be the X17J.

When the bus was rerouted (I assume you are referring to the X30), how did it get into Staten Island? Through the Outerbridge? Or did you take the Bayonne Bridge and go follow the S46 route to reach Forest Avenue/South Avenue and then continue from there? That must've been long.

The X30 would be basically impossible to reroute, so the only option would be the X17J.

When the bus was rerouted (I assume you are referring to the X30), how did it get into Staten Island? Through the Outerbridge? Or did you take the Bayonne Bridge and go follow the S46 route to reach Forest Avenue/South Avenue and then continue from there? That must've been long.

I believe so... It was too dark to tell, but I do remember us being on South Ave south of Goethals Road North heading towards Forest Avenue...

Archived