HBLR 8th Street Station opens 1-31-2011

w8Hou

Service alert from NJ Transit:

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail’s newest station - 8th Street Station in Bayonne - will open on Monday. Regular service will begin at 1 p.m.

The new station extends light rail service to the nearby Bergen Point neighborhood and features a “Kiss and Ride” area with 10 short-term parking spaces for customers who wish to get dropped off at or picked up from the station.

Two new bus stops will facilitate transfers between light rail and bus service on the No. 81 (Bayonne-Jersey City) or No. 120 (Bayonne-Downtown New York) bus routes.

The destination signs and announcements on light rail trains to Bayonne will now refer to “8th Street Station.”

On weekdays, the first train from 8th Street Station will depart at 5:11 a.m. and the last train will depart at 1:09 a.m. On Saturdays, Sundays and designated holidays, the first train will depart at 6:09 a.m. and the last train will depart at 1:24 a.m.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ConstructionAdvisoryTo&AdvisoryId=2651

There is media coverage on that station and that day as well.

I wonder when the S89 will be rerouted to serve the station. It would save them a bit of money (or allow them to add a couple of extra runs at the same cost)

I would expect a staff summary for it in the February committee meeting materials, taking effect in April or June.

It looks like some peak direction expresses from Bayonne have been added.

Current timetable: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

New timetable: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/upcoming/T0100.pdf

Current NB expresses (from 22nd Street): 6:43 AM, 7:14 AM, 7:44 AM, 8:17 AM, 4:27 PM, 5:03 PM, 5:31 PM

Current SB expresses: 7:22 AM, 7:49 AM, 8:19 AM, 4:35 PM, 5:03 PM, 5:33 PM, 6:05 PM

New NB expresses (from 8th Street): 6:33 AM, 6:58 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:28 AM, 7:39 AM, 7:51 AM, 7:58 AM, 8:19 AM, 8:40 AM, 8:54 AM, 4:23 PM, 4:53 PM, 6:08 PM

New SB expresses: 7:08 AM, 7:22 AM, 8:07 AM, 8:22 AM, 4:10 PM, 4:36 PM, 5:06 PM, 5:24 PM, 5:46 PM, 6:12 PM, 6:30 PM

I've also noticed that some trains start at 22nd Street, and at certain times of the day, there are gaps in service at 8th Street.

I wonder when the S89 will be rerouted to serve the station. It would save them a bit of money (or allow them to add a couple of extra runs at the same cost)

The S89 will not serve 8th Street. It will continue service to 34th street.

It looks like some peak direction expresses from Bayonne have been added.

Current timetable: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

New timetable: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/upcoming/T0100.pdf

Current NB expresses (from 22nd Street): 6:43 AM, 7:14 AM, 7:44 AM, 8:17 AM, 4:27 PM, 5:03 PM, 5:31 PM

Current SB expresses: 7:22 AM, 7:49 AM, 8:19 AM, 4:35 PM, 5:03 PM, 5:33 PM, 6:05 PM

New NB expresses (from 8th Street): 6:33 AM, 6:58 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:28 AM, 7:39 AM, 7:51 AM, 7:58 AM, 8:19 AM, 8:40 AM, 8:54 AM, 4:23 PM, 4:53 PM, 6:08 PM

New SB expresses: 7:08 AM, 7:22 AM, 8:07 AM, 8:22 AM, 4:10 PM, 4:36 PM, 5:06 PM, 5:24 PM, 5:46 PM, 6:12 PM, 6:30 PM

I've also noticed that some trains start at 22nd Street, and at certain times of the day, there are gaps in service at 8th Street.

Also, if you notice that for Hoboken bound Expresses, Liberty State Park has been removed as a stop. And aside from 22nd Street short turns, there are also a few Danforth Avenue short turns

The S89 will not serve 8th Street. It will continue service to 34th street.

Also, if you notice that for Hoboken bound Expresses, Liberty State Park has been removed as a stop. And aside from 22nd Street short turns, there are also a few Danforth Avenue short turns

I know that, but since it is cheaper to go to 8th Street than 34th Street, I'm sure the MTA will reroute it sometime soon.

• 2 months later...

By the way, is there a place to turn the buses around near the 8th station or the buses would have to use regular streets? I looked on Google Maps, and it doesn't show anything, but I suspect that the images were taken a while before the station was completed.

I know it doesn't have a parking lot, but I find it hard to believe that they would make it hard for people to transfer from a bus to the HBLR (I believe the #81 and #120 also serve the area, as well as the Broadway Bus)

It would be nice if the S89 could attract more reverse commuters.

I think that what should happen is that buses arriving in Bayonne that are going to deadhead to the depot back in Staten Island (it would make sense to store them in Castleton in the middle of the day, but I'm pretty sure they go to Yukon) should instead pick up some passengers on the way back.

Between the additional passengers obtained by using the deadheading buses, and the money saved by truncating the service to Bayonne, there should be enough money saved to add some off-peak S89 service, even if it is just a shuttle to Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue. The problem with any peak-only service is that people might not depend on it for fear of missing the last bus, and will probably decide to drive instead. If off-peak service is instituted at 40 minute headways, as a shuttle between Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue and Bayonne, I'm sure there will be more riders on the route (People coming from points south can either take the S44 or S59 or drive, and I'm sure there are riders who can time themselves to catch one of the shuttles even at 40 minute headways, since it is cheaper than driving and paying the toll).

Maybe there are certain parts of Bayonne where a lot of people travel to Staten Island, but are turned off by the fact that the S89 only stops at one location in Bayonne. Maybe they could be attracted to the service if the buses were extended from 8th Street (using the money saved by cutting it back there in the first place) to their neighborhood.

Archived