(R) on Queensboro Plaza?

Buddy

Posted: 01/31/2011 12:22PM

MTA Service Notice

Due to a train with mechanical problems at the Queensboro Plaza Station, downtown (R) trains are running on the (F) line between the 36th Street Station in Queens and the 57th Street-7th Avenue Station.

Also, due to a rail condition at the 39th Avenue Station, uptown (Q) trains are terminating at the 57th Street-7th Avenue Station.

As an alternate, customers are advised to take the (N) train to and from Queens.

Please expect delays on the (N) and (Q) trains at this time.

Please allow for additional travel time.

Guest lance25

Because the average passenger doesn't know what the "60th Street Tube" means. They should have said the train w/mechanical problems was between the Lexington Av-59 St & Queens Plaza stations, but that's neither here nor there.

Because the average passenger doesn't know what the "60th Street Tube" means. They should have said the train w/mechanical problems was between the Lexington Av-59 St & Queens Plaza stations, but that's neither here nor there.

Not exactly in that language.But not "At the Queensboro plaza station."as the average passenger would think "What the (R) stops at Queensboro plaza"?

I meant how often does this occur in the tube? Maybe a m/m has the answer to that.

What happened to that (R) train can happen to any other train in the system.it doesn't just happen in the 60th St tubes.it could happen anytime.

You can be sure that there is some office within the Transit Authority that notes when and where trains go into "Brakes In Emergency", what types of trains, what were the circumstances, etc. While this information may not be made available to the public, or to individual train operators - this kind of information is known and collected.

Of immediate concern to the riders is what to do to get where they want to go. It is those concerns that the TA will immediately respond to.

Mike

Alright, let me clearify.

Since the tube allows trains to haul ass, I just wanted to know how often trains get tripped in that tube. I know trains can get tripped when passing a red anywhere in the system. I've actually been on an (F) that was hauling ass down the QBE. The t/o didn't brake in time and got tripped.

Alright, let me clearify.

Since the tube allows trains to haul ass, I just wanted to know how often trains get tripped in that tube. I know trains can get tripped when passing a red anywhere in the system. I've actually been on an (F) that was hauling ass down the QBE. The t/o didn't brake in time and got tripped.

Its hard to say dude. I've been on a R160 that tripped in the tunnel, but the delay was only a few minutes if that. That was also the only time I've been on a train that tripped in the tunnel.

All trains charge and release brakes at different rates. The 160 is the fastest charging train in the system (142/143 are very close) so it can recover from a BIE in less than a minute. The slowest is the 68/68A (the 46 also charges pretty slow, but it releases quickly). On a secondary note, how fast a train charges or releases brakes has nothing to with its breaking ability, or how smooth it can stop. While those 68/68A's take forever to charge, they brake generally very well (conditions permitting, leaves will make a train slide no matter what equipment). 160s are good too.

Its hard to say dude. I've been on a R160 that tripped in the tunnel, but the delay was only a few minutes if that. That was also the only time I've been on a train that tripped in the tunnel.

A T.O. got an R160 (F) up and running in 5 minutes after the train halted in the middle of the tunnel due to signal malfunction at around 7 Avenue. The brake was smooth and didn't throw off my balance.

A T.O. got an R160 (F) up and running in 5 minutes after the train halted in the middle of the tunnel due to signal malfunction at around 7 Avenue. The brake was smooth and didn't throw off my balance.

Thats one thing I like about the NTTs. They brake smooth when going into BIE, and they charge up relatively quickly.

Archived