Washout! Danbury

ripple

looks like they can get the line up and running within a week or so if they work 24/7. Just looks like a regular washout to me

Looks can be deceiving. Taken from the MNR Facebook page:

The size of the washout gap is large--150-feet wide by 20-feet deep and will require a major reconstruction effort by Metro-North forces of up to two weeks. The location can't be accessed by train or existing roadway. Therefore, we also started to build a 150-foot roadway from a nearby Bethel Dept. of Public Works parking area in order to bring equipment and riprap (large stones used to build the track foundation) to the washout location.

We estimate that we will need 100 truckloads to fill the washout. A local stone company started to deliver two truckloads of riprap on Monday afternoon and is continuing delivery every day.

To ensure solid and safe support, we are building a pyramid-shaped foundation of riprap for the 8-1/2-foot-wide track. The foundation will be 50-feet wide at the base, narrowing to 12 feet at top where we will lay down a foot of ballast (smaller stone). Once this is done, we must resurface and align the track several times to ensure it is in sound and safe condition for train operations.

Before resuming regular train service, we will operate test trains over the track; for the first few weeks for safety considerations we will operate Danbury trains with speed restrictions and monitor the new foundation daily to make sure we are providing you with the safest commute possible.

I wonder if they are going to replace that track, surely its ruined from such flexing...

If it's CWR, then the flexing shouldn't be a problem. If you have ever seen how CWR is transported or installed you would see that it flexes alot more then that.

It appears that the equipment that was stranded due to the washout has been rescued. It was moved by a roundabout way by using another railroads right of way and sent south and around Grand Central. The exact routing, and pictures, are posted on railroad.net for those interested.

Why the heck do you feel you must go on the all out offensive anytime one of us says anything you so much as mildy disagree with about Metro-North. One new train doesn't make up for a God awful winter.

I'm not going to lead yet ANOTHER thread off-topic like you and the Up Front kid are trying to do. If, after reading this comment, you and Joel and anyone else are still curious, please by all means feel free to send me a mature PM and I'll reply with one myself.

And for the record, you and the Up Front kid both made some weak attempts in attributing some hokum-like horseshit to me. Check your spelling, punctuation and use of words that I don't use before you submit a post.

If it's CWR, then the flexing shouldn't be a problem. If you have ever seen how CWR is transported or installed you would see that it flexes alot more then that.

CWR was installed on the Danbury Branch back in the mid-1980's, not too long after Metro-North took over from Conrail.

On a related note, I believe that the branch will also have insulated joints (as opposed to LC circuits or axle counters) installed as part of the ongoing signalization project.

Archived