Gym recommendations

Via Garibaldi 8

One of my New Year's resolutions has been to join a gym. I used to go to the gym back in college, but haven't since and the big problem is which one to choose from? I just want to go somewhere preferably in the city (say Union Square or Grand Central area) and get a little exercise in not because I'm fat or anything but just so that I can get the heartbeat up and stay in shape (i.e. treadmills, riding the bike, etc.) Any recommendations?? B)

One of my New Year's resolutions has been to join a gym. I used to go to the gym back in college, but haven't since and the big problem is which one to choose from? I just want to go somewhere preferably in the city (say Union Square area) and get a little exercise in not because I'm fat or anything but just so that I can get the heartbeat up and stay in shape (i.e. treadmills, riding the bike, etc.) Any recommendations?? B)

I say if on Staten Island (I seen one at the Target Mall in Bronx on 225th and Bway)why not Planet Fitness?

IMO of the national fitness/health clubs that the most affordable. I was a Planet Fitness member but only ended the contract late last year, because I am only working part time at the moment.

Just my takes.:eek:

One of my New Year's resolutions has been to join a gym. I used to go to the gym back in college, but haven't since and the big problem is which one to choose from? I just want to go somewhere preferably in the city (say Union Square or Grand Central area) and get a little exercise in not because I'm fat or anything but just so that I can get the heartbeat up and stay in shape (i.e. treadmills, riding the bike, etc.) Any recommendations?? B)

Join a NYC Parks Department gym. It's $75 for the entire year. Most of them have pools. Sometimes, I got to the East 54th Street gym (between 1st and 2nd Avenue). It's no frills. There are no plasma TV's and you won't get a smoothie after your workout. However, you'll get a quality workout. If you have money to waste, you can join the Y.

So on average, what does a decent gym cost per month?

I'd be willing to do $25.00 a month considering that I won't be going but a few times a week, but I have heard places like Planet Fitness do $10.00/month.

@Shortline, I'm thinking now that perhaps Staten Island may not be a bad idea since I can take the express bus home and maybe walk over to the gym there on Forest & Pelton and walk back afterwards. The thing is I may be moving soon, so Manhattan may work better... B)

There's a 24/7 Fitness spot nearby Houston and Lafayette...I'm mainly recommending it cuz my cousin works there (lol) but other than that it's a pretty good workout spot.

Actually that sounds cool. I don't want to go when there's a sh*tload of people, this way I can use whatever I want to use and not have to wait whenever I do go.

Join a NYC Parks Department gym. It's $75 for the entire year. Most of them have pools. Sometimes, I got to the East 54th Street gym (between 1st and 2nd Avenue). It's no frills. There are no plasma TV's and you won't get a smoothie after your workout. However, you'll get a quality workout. If you have money to waste, you can join the Y.

I don't do the music thing so I would like some place w/tvs so that I have something to watch while running or whatever and a smoothie would be cool too I guess...

Actually that sounds cool. I don't want to go when there's a sh*tload of people, this way I can use whatever I want to use and not have to wait whenever I do go.

At the times that I've visited, the gym seems pretty light, even on weekends. It has four floors with different equipment on each so there's plenty of variety, as well as lots of equipment.

I don't do the music thing so I would like some place w/tvs so that I have something to watch while running or whatever and a smoothie would be cool too I guess...

Planet Fitness at least the ones up here in Dutchess County I know for fact has TVs. Plus during daytime hours trainers offer special classes as well.

Planet Fitness at least the ones up here in Dutchess County I know for fact has TVs. Plus during daytime hours trainers offer special classes as well.

There's a Planet Fitness near me on Forest. I'm going to give them a call. I'm thinking it way work best. I can walk there and back if I choose or take car service if I'm lazy and shower at home, since I'm not up for showering at the gym. :eek: Plus, there's a nice Italian bakery near by if I want to "treat" myself to a nice snack after working out. :cool:

Planet fitness is $10/month.

Don't sign up for the black card service ($20/month) unless you plan on using different gyms. The $10/month deal is a far better value, you get basically the same privileges at ONE gym instead of all of them. But most people (myself included) only use one gym

Planet fitness is $10/month.

Don't sign up for the black card service ($20/month) unless you plan on using different gyms. The $10/month deal is a far better value, you get basically the same privileges at ONE gym instead of all of them. But most people (myself included) only use one gym

That's good to know esp. since I get bored going to the same place. See how ignorant I am about gyms... B)

That's good to know esp. since I get bored going to the same place. See how ignorant I am about gyms... :P

Planet Fitness does not offer the $10($20 black card)specials every day either. It's usually as much as $40 a month. It's similar to the cable tv companies several times a year offering lower 'sale' prices especially for new customers.

So my advice would be wait until planet fitness has those $10 a month 'specials.' You will know as I am sure they put ads up in the SI Advance or w/e local community you read Garibaldi.

Planet Fitness does not offer the $10($20 black card)specials every day either. It's usually as much as $40 a month. It's similar to the cable tv companies several times a year offering lower 'sale' prices especially for new customers.

So my advice would be wait until planet fitness has those $10 a month 'specials.' You will know as I am sure they put ads up in the SI Advance or w/e local community you read Garibaldi.

Not true. Go to the Planet Fitness and ASK for the $10/month deal and see if they give it to you. If they tell you no, politely mention you'll be back the next time they're offering it and walk out. But literally every planet fitness I've seen has been offering it.

Not true. Go to the Planet Fitness and ASK for the $10/month deal and see if they give it to you. If they tell you no, politely mention you'll be back the next time they're offering it and walk out. But literally every planet fitness I've seen has been offering it.

I was a Planet Fitness member so I know. Yes they offer $10 specials but it was not every day. I said regular prices was about $20-30 and $40(black card)without the specials.Maybe it's different in the '5' boros, but that was the price at the Planet Fitness Club I went to in Wappinger Falls.

If you ask for the lower $10-20 prices during non-specials, they more than likely will give it to you.

I was a Planet Fitness member so I know. Yes they offer $10 specials but it was not every day. I said regular prices was about $20-30 and $40(black card)without the specials.Maybe it's different in the '5' boros, but that was the price at the Planet Fitness Club I went to in Wappinger Falls.

I AM a planet fitness member and went to different gyms to check it out beforehand as well as on their website. If you ask for the special deal, you get it. The price is guaranteed but the best part is you don't need to commit to a full year (like you would with the black card).

The only extra thing is there is an annual registration fee. Negotiate and you can get it reduced or even waived possibly. I think that's $30, billed yearly at the start of your membership.

I AM a planet fitness member and went to different gyms to check it out beforehand as well as on their website. If you ask for the special deal, you get it. The price is guaranteed but the best part is you don't need to commit to a full year (like you would with the black card).

The only extra thing is there is an annual registration fee. Negotiate and you can get it reduced or even waived possibly. I think that's $30, billed yearly at the start of your membership.

That what I meant being around $30-$40 (annual fee). Still I seen regular membership at Planet Fitness at around $20 a month and if you ask as a new member they will more than likely reduce down to as low as $10 a month.

At least everyone now understands that.:eek:

Screw a gym. I bought my own weights. However, I do go to the gym to play basketball on weekends with a couple guys from work. Cant for now untill my knee heals up 100%. Right now its like 80%.

My hope is to get a apt. in a building with a gym in it this way I can go whenever I want. I'm not wild about going to a gym, but I would like to get the heart beat up and burn a few calories.

Archived