S93

Via Garibaldi 8

When did I say that?? And yeah I've thought about getting a car and still am. The problem is it would limit my flexibility in being able to pick and choose which express buses I can use. Yesterday for example I took the X2 in and the X12 home, so if I drove to one bus I would be forced to catch that bus exclusively going home or perhaps park in some area that I didn't care to park in so once I move which I'm still figuring out where on Staten Island, I'll make that decision.

I'm considering somewhere near Victory Blvd this way I have access to the X10 and X12 within walking distance as well as the SIE and the South Shore buses nearby and several local buses that can drop me quickly should I not want to drive or take car service like the (S93).

Speaking of the (S60) though, I am curious to see ridership stats for the (S66) since it has been re-routed up by Grymes Hill. From my observations people West of Clove Rd don't see to want to use it.

Sorry if i sounded rude and your call to buy one or not. If you brought one, you can still use your car and use the express buses to/from Midtown. Before he moved to NJ and brough a house my brother would use the express buses to get to work in Lower Manhattan (2 Broadway)working for the (MTA) 5 years back. It did help he had a free employee pass lol.

Back to topic. I still think there not enough ridership to run the (S93) 7 days a week. If it ran Saturdays it should run every 30 minutes from say 8am-6pm.

In these tough ecomonic times is it a good idea to say run the (S93) on a major holiday like July 4th,Thanksgiving or Christmas when CSI is closed. Thus the only riders riding it would be maybe those going across the Verrzano.

And the (S53)should have it own 'limited' between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge. Even riding on occaionally usually on Weekends or driving to/from SI, it should have a limited schedule say to the (B6)running 6 days a week.

Lets for argument sake let me propose the (S53) limited stop service hours.

Weekdays

To Bay Ridge 6am-9pm

From Bay Ridge 7am-10pm.

Saturdays

To Bay Ridge 7am-7pm

From Bay Ridge 8am-8pm.

During this time, the (S53)locals run only between Clove Rd/Victory and Bay Ridge. The "Limited" (S53)makes all stops between Pt Richmond and Victory/Clove Rd. Also the (S53)Limited will not serve Ft Wandworth and use the (S79) routing between Clove Rd/Hylan & the Bridge.

Sundays/All other times the (S53)operates the current existing route.

Reactions?

Sorry if i sounded rude and your call to buy one or not. If you brought one, you can still use your car and use the express buses to/from Midtown. Before he moved to NJ and brough a house my brother would use the express buses to get to work in Lower Manhattan (2 Broadway)working for the (MTA) 5 years back. It did help he had a free employee pass lol.

Back to topic. I still think there not enough ridership to run the (S93) 7 days a week. If it ran Saturdays it should run every 30 minutes from say 8am-6pm.

In these tough ecomonic times is it a good idea to say run the (S93) on a major holiday like July 4th,Thanksgiving or Christmas when CSI is closed. Thus the only riders riding it would be maybe those going across the Verrzano.

And the (S53)should have it own 'limited' between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge. Even riding on occaionally usually on Weekends or driving to/from SI, it should have a limited schedule say to the (B6)running 6 days a week.

Weekdays

To Bay Ridge 6am-9pm

From Bay Ridge 7am-10pm.

Saturdays

To Bay Ridge 7am-7pm

From Bay Ridge 8am-8pm.

During this time, the (S53)locals run only between Clove Rd/Victory and Bay Ridge. The "Limited" (S53)makes all stops between Pt Richmond and Victory/Clove Rd. Also the (S53)Limited will not serve Ft Wandworth and use the (S79) routing between Clove Rd/Hylan & the Bridge.

Reactions?

(S93) Saturdays 08:00 - 19:00 - every 30 minutes

(S93) Sundays 09:00 - 18:00 - every 30 minutes - The Sunday service could be added down the road, but Saturday service should be implemented in the near future

(S53) Limited stop service 7 days a week. Notice that the headways on the (S53) Saturdays and Sundays are almost identical and that's because it's heavily used both days.

Saturdays you could limited stop service every 15 minutes and maintain the 10minute local bus schedule since most buses are SRO before even by Forest Ave. I would run it from 10:00 until 19:00 going to Bay Ridge and 11:00 until 20:00 going back to Port Richmond.

Sundays it could run every 15 minutes as well, starting from 11:00 until 17:00 or 18:00 towards Bay Ridge and 11:00 until 18:00 towards Port Richmond. I would keep the local bus schedule as is. You can't give limited stop service to the (S79) and have nothing for the (S53) when the (S53) is the busiest line on Staten Island.

Sorry Garibladi got to disagree. Even the old (S60) serving Wagner College and St John's SI did not on Sundays.

Yes, it did.

There is alternative service for the very handful of CSI riders Sundays that need to go there. It's called the S62 or certain parts of the CSI campus the S61 as well.

In related thread, some posters wanted to end full Sunday N20 service to/from Hicksville. I disagree on point unlike CSI students, the N20 riders who may go to special events or handful of classes on Sundays, at LIU-CW Post,SUNY Westbury and NYIT have no alternative mass transit services other than a cab. CSI still have a transfer to (S53)

to get to CSI on Sundays. Plus do we need to run the (S93) on major holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc as well.

However, heading to Staten Island a person can take a train or bus that connect with the S53, and then transfer to the S61/62 at Victory and Clove, all on one fare. Unfortunately, it is not the same heading the opposite direction. I took the S61 to the S53 and that's on one fare, but when I wanted to get on the (R), it took $2.25 off my card. I was pissed! :mad:

Case in point a direct route to CSI from Brooklyn would help on Saturdays. Sundays...let's see. But not all people want to go to Staten Island to Brooklyn via Manhattan when that can be avoided.

So then yeah it should be 7 days a week...

You have to consider: Just because there are classes on Sunday doesn't mean that there is necessarily the demand for the service. There aren't as many classes on Sunday as the other days of the week and, since transit doesn't run that frequently on Sundays, there are probably a higher percentage of students driving to class rather than taking public transportation.

I took the X10 last Sunday, got off at Slosson, and walked the few short blocks and caught and S62 for the short ride over to Clove for the S53. The bus was SRO, so you could perhaps run the S93 every half hour in the future. I would imagine demand getting higher esp. with gas prices going up and the economy still in the tank.

I've actually been using the local bus more now to and from the express bus on the weekends since I've been having problems getting cabs of late. For the St. Patricks Day parade last Sunday on Forest Ave., I would've had to have waited a friggin' hour to get car service for a 5 minute $10.00 ride to the X10!! :mad:

Personally, I think it would be great if the S93 (and the S53 and S79 for that matter) could get a permit to run on the Belt Parkway, so that it actually would be feasable to take a bus rather than drive to places other than Fort Hamilton/Bay Ridge. I'm not saying you are completely stuck if you want to make that type of trip, but it will take much longer by public transportation than by car.

For example, once in a while, my family goes back to Brighton Beach to visit friends. In order to make that trip, we have to take the S93 and then the B1 bus (or we could take the (R) to 59th Street, take the (N) to Coney Island, and then take the (Q) to Brighton Beach, but that involves more walking up and down steps). If the S93 ran down the Belt Parkway service road (or even if there was a route that we could connect to that ran via the Belt Parkway, to avoid reliability issues), that would make our trip easier, and could attract a lot of riders.

Of course, if gas gets too expensive, people might be forced to use transit to make those types of trips, even with all of the transfers involved.

When did I say that?? And yeah I've thought about getting a car and still am. The problem is it would limit my flexibility in being able to pick and choose which express buses I can use. Yesterday for example I took the X2 in and the X12 home, so if I drove to one bus I would be forced to catch that bus exclusively going home or perhaps park in some area that I didn't care to park in so once I move which I'm still figuring out where on Staten Island, I'll make that decision.

I'm considering somewhere near Victory Blvd this way I have access to the X10 and X12 within walking distance as well as the SIE and the South Shore buses nearby and several local buses that can drop me quickly should I not want to drive or take car service like the (S93).

Speaking of the (S60) though, I am curious to see ridership stats for the (S66) since it has been re-routed up by Grymes Hill. From my observations people West of Clove Rd don't seem to want to use it.

The thing with the (S93) though is that it would provide service for folks outside of CSI as opposed to the (S60) which mainly served college students and the elderly. It may not be feasible right now, but it should be considered in the near future if ridership continues to grow on Staten Island the way current is.

He said the 5 minute S53 service as an example of being greedy, not implying that you were actually asking for that much service.

Weekdays

To Bay Ridge 6am-9pm

From Bay Ridge 7am-10pm.

Saturdays

To Bay Ridge 7am-7pm

From Bay Ridge 8am-8pm.

Reactions?

Like I said, the S53/S83 should be used to split the S40, with the limited-stop portion being all the way from Arlington to Bay Ridge. Even if the S53 remains as is, I still think it is a good idea to have the limited-stop service from say, Forest Avenue to Bay Ridge (rather than ending at Victory Blvd)

(S93) Sundays 09:00 - 18:00 - every 30 minutes - The Sunday service could be added down the road, but Saturday service should be implemented in the near future

(S53) Limited stop service 7 days a week. Notice that the headways on the (S53) Saturdays and Sundays are almost identical and that's because it's heavily used both days.

Saturdays you could limited stop service every 15 minutes and maintain the 10minute local bus schedule since most buses are SRO before even by Forest Ave. I would run it from 10:00 until 19:00 going to Bay Ridge and 11:00 until 20:00 going back to Port Richmond.

Sundays it could run every 15 minutes as well, starting from 11:00 until 17:00 or 18:00 towards Bay Ridge and 11:00 until 18:00 towards Port Richmond. I would keep the local bus schedule as is. You can't give limited stop service to the (S79) and have nothing for the (S53) when the (S53) is the busiest line on Staten Island.

Like I said, the S79 is probably going to be a limited-only route (similar to what the B103 and Q53 are).

Yes, it did.

However, heading to Staten Island a person can take a train or bus that connect with the S53, and then transfer to the S61/62 at Victory and Clove, all on one fare. Unfortunately, it is not the same heading the opposite direction. I took the S61 to the S53 and that's on one fare, but when I wanted to get on the (R), it took $2.25 off my card. I was pissed! :mad:

Case in point a direct route to CSI from Brooklyn would help on Saturdays. Sundays...let's see. But not all people want to go to Staten Island to Brooklyn via Manhattan when that can be avoided.

This past Sunday, I used the (R) train to the S53 to the S62, but because I didn’t want to risk the bus not accepting the transfer, I asked the driver for a paper transfer to the S62.

This past Sunday, I used the (R) train to the S53 to the S62, but because I didn’t want to risk the bus not accepting the transfer, I asked the driver for a paper transfer to the S62.

Did you ask for it just in case? Heading from Staten Island to Brooklyn, I know I would ask for a transfer and use the paper transfer on the S53 and then use the MetroCard transfer on the (R).

Personally, I think it would be great if the S93 (and the S53 and S79 for that matter) could get a permit to run on the Belt Parkway, so that it actually would be feasable to take a bus rather than drive to places other than Fort Hamilton/Bay Ridge. I'm not saying you are completely stuck if you want to make that type of trip, but it will take much longer by public transportation than by car.

For example, once in a while, my family goes back to Brighton Beach to visit friends. In order to make that trip, we have to take the S93 and then the B1 bus (or we could take the to 59th Street, take the to Coney Island, and then take the to Brighton Beach, but that involves more walking up and down steps). If the S93 ran down the Belt Parkway service road (or even if there was a route that we could connect to that ran via the Belt Parkway, to avoid reliability issues), that would make our trip easier, and could attract a lot of riders.

Of course, if gas gets too expensive, people might be forced to use transit to make those types of trips, even with all of the transfers involved.

How did you & LRG get a paper transfer when I know you're using Metrocards...?? :o

In any case smart move. You're lucky to have gotten on a bus w/a cool B/O...

As far as going back to Brighton Beach, I think the quickest and best way to go from Staten Island is via the Express Bus. Going via Brooklyn takes for ever and using the subway sucks also. With the express bus I plan out the trip either taking car service or the (S53) so that I can meet an X1 or X10 to get me Downtown to transfer to the BM3. If I time things right sometimes I'll have just enough time for a quick snack at Zaytuna and a little R & R down by the last BM3 stop and I'll hop on and be on my way. And please don't quote me on the food at that place because I haven't eaten any grub there. I go there because they carry imported snacks from Italy and such that I like to pick up. :cool:

I'll tell you though... I'm getting hooked on those Zabar sandwiches that Duane Reade carries and those are nice to have while waiting for the express bus down there w/say a bottle of Perrier or an Illy ice coffee, so I've been getting those of late now, esp. the egg salad sandwich on wheat bread. :cool:

I can usually leave around 15:30 and be down at Sheepshead Bay by around 17:10 or so with my 20 minute little break in between. I agree though.... It would be great to have an express bus or something that went over by Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach and those areas from Staten Island. A lot of folks like me and you lived there and many of us have all moved to Staten Island, but in my case since I have friends there and my barber is there, I go down there every 3 weeks or so. :cool:

First Garibladli a favor? Please use the US format not European/Military time for describing pm hours i.e 2400=11:00pm.

Second just have to disagree on Sunday (S93). The (MTA) will never allow for it. Please don't go into tirad that SI is screwed on lack of bus service. Even Checkmate agrees with me. Do you want to run a (S93)on a major holiday like Christmas or new years with *zero riders* on most of the trips since CSI are closed? Do you know the gas prices are going up as well and the (MTA) can't afford to run routes that are ghost towns. At best in future maybe the (MTA) will add Saturday (S93) service.

Plus most of the 'specialty' bus lines in Metro NYC for students/staff don't run on Sundays/Holidays anyhow to colleges and universities. The state of New Yorkand USA are in middle of major reccesion and when the economy improves, Sunday (S93) should be on bottom of the list for bus service expansions.

Other SI suggestions Garilbaldi you made before from 24/7 X1 service, to 7-day S53 'limited' service along the full route between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge are much more realstic. Or finally adding weekend (S89) serviceto/from Bayonne since a Wal Mart is about to open in that town(along with more SI residents mainly I bet customers from the boro's North Shore will use it) is much more important.

Again sounds like you dreaming a little too much. Garbaldi you seem stuck in your views on transit so why bother even coming to your senses.: Anyhow that cool just have to disagree. eek:

You have to consider: Just because there are classes on Sunday doesn't mean that there is necessarily the demand for the service. There aren't as many classes on Sunday as the other days of the week and, since transit doesn't run that frequently on Sundays, there are probably a higher percentage of students driving to class rather than taking public transportation..

Thank You and High (5) Checkmate. Could not say it better myself.:tup::cool:

How did you & LRG get a paper transfer when I know you're using Metrocards...?? :o

In any case smart move. You're lucky to have gotten on a bus w/a cool B/O...

I never said I asked for a paper transfer, but rather if he used one reverse direction? Now I have an unlimited I have no need for paper transfers anyway.

First Garibladli a favor? Please use the US format not European/Military time for desrcbing pm hours i.e 2400=11:00pm.

Um, since when did you become forum cop? Let him type out the time as he pleases....

...and back to this S93 debacle...

Saturday service would definitely help. As per Garibaldi's proposal I can agree with having the S93 operate half an hour; if anyone misses a bus, then they'll have to use the S53 to the S61/62, or wait half an hour.

Another idea I have was to bring the S93 within the campus property and have it make a stop in front of the Performing Arts (1P) building. This can be done because the college uses a few 40-foot and one 45-foot (during peak hours only) MCI D4500s to shuttle the students around the college (it's a loop bus) so a transit bus should have no problem driving on the campus property.

First Garibladli a favor? Please use the US format not European/Military time for describing pm hours i.e 2400=11:00pm.

Second just have to disagree on Sunday (S93). The (MTA) will never allow for it. Please don't go into tirad that SI is screwed on lack of bus service. Even Checkmate agrees with me. Do you want to run a (S93)on a major holiday like Christmas or new years with *zero riders* on most of the trips since CSI are closed? Do you know the gas prices are going up as well and the (MTA) can't afford to run routes that are ghost towns. At best in future maybe the (MTA) will add Saturday (S93) service.

Plus most of the 'specialty' bus lines in Metro NYC for students/staff don't run on Sundays/Holidays anyhow to colleges and universities. The state of New Yorkand USA are in middle of major reccesion and when the economy improves, Sunday (S93) should be on bottom of the list for bus service expansions.

Other SI suggestions Garilbaldi you made before from 24/7 X1 service, to 7-day S53 'limited' service along the full route between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge are much more realstic. Or finally adding weekend (S89) serviceto/from Bayonne since a Wal Mart is about to open in that town(along with more SI residents mainly I bet customers from the boro's North Shore will use it) is much more important.

Again sounds like you dreaming a little too much. Garbaldi you seem stuck in your views on transit so why bother even coming to your senses.: Anyhow that cool just have to disagree. eek:

If you read my last posts, I said Sunday service on the (S93) could be considered down the road. I'm not going into any tirade about SI being screwed. I think you've lost your marbles a little bit the last few days. These sort of proposals should be put out there for the future seeing that we now have four depots, increased ridership and are the fastest growing borough population wise.

As far as the times go, it has nothing to do w/European or military time. If you've heard on any bus here in the city it is used as well. What I will do is put the equivalents next to them, but I won't refrain from using them. If anything instead of complaining just learn the conversions. You have people posting from all over the world on here and they're not necessarily going to conform with what you're familiar with. It's like me using Celsius for the weather instead of Farenheit. Not a big deal.

In Amsterdam, a lot of people ride the bike 'cause of the traffic and public transportation hiccups. In Rotterdam, a lot of people go by car. In Utrecht, a lot of people take the bus. In my hometown Almere (which is also quite big and still growing), everyone takes the bus, but that's 'cause 99% of the bus routes in Almere use seperate bus lanes, so it's really a bus city.

:cool:

Very interesting to have input from people in other countries.

:tup:

Archived