S93

Via Garibaldi 8

So this morning I heard on NY1 that both the Verrazano and Lincoln Tunnel were severly backed up, so after realizing that the X14 and X30 were both MIA and would be very late if they came at all due the traffic back ups, I made my way over to Victory and Manor via quick transfers to the (S48) and (S54).

While waiting for an X12 at Manor and Victory, I noticed an (S93) (to my surprise) and got on since it was clear from the extra long line that the X12 was also screwed up. I took it to Narrows Road South & Hylan where I was able to finally catch an express bus (a X2).

I have a few questions...

If they're only running the (S93) from SI College to Bay Ridge, why does it run so early in the morning coming from SI College? I didn't even realize that it runs to Bay Ridge in the morning and assumed that it just ran that way during the evening rush. The bus wasn't crowded at all. There are times though when it is crowded. This bus was the last bus of the morning and when I catch it at night, it is usually the last bus of the evening.

The times that I've used it, it doesn't seem to get heavy usage, so why not extend it so that it gets higher ridership and other folks can benefit from it aside from SI College folks? Those buses would be put to better use if they did the following:

Create two limited stop branches for the (S53). One to Port Richmond and the other could be like it's own route. It should run at least down to Richmond Avenue. I say this because if some of those buses are running half empty they'd be better used on the (S53) which is often packed coming from Port Richmond in the morning.

I think the S93 in general should run all day and all weekend as opposed to only Rush Hours. That would take the load off the S53 and S62 and would help CSI students in that they don't have to use Victory/Clove Roads as a transfer point outside Rush Hours.

That's just me though, regarding the S93 topic.

I think the S93 in general should run all day and all weekend as opposed to only Rush Hours. That would take the load off the S53 and S62 and would help CSI students in that they don't have to use Victory/Clove Roads as a transfer point outside Rush Hours.

That's just me though, regarding the S93 topic.

The (S93)does not need to run on weekends. It should run all day weekdays only with maybe with 30-minute service middays. There is a need for a CSI-Bay Ridge line Monday-Fridays.

What could be done is on days CSI is not open, is to reduced weekday service similar to the (SIR) on days before major holidays i.e July 3, Thanksgiving, X-Mas and New Year's Eve.

What the (S53)needs is a limited stop that runs along it's current full route between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge at least 6 days a week.

I admit I have not riden on the (S53)on a 'normal' weekday in few years. Based on riding the (S53)usually on Saturdays ocasionally, it does get SRO between Victory/Clove and Bay Ridge. The full (S53) could be a limited between Pt Richmond and 86th St (R) station. While the short turn Local (S53)would start/end between Victory/Clove like pre-2000(before the S93)was created.

Sundays on the (S53)just needs better headways.

The (S93)does not need to run on weekends. It should run all day weekdays only with maybe with 30-minute service middays. There is a need for a CSI-Bay Ridge line Monday-Fridays.

What could be done is on days CSI is not open, is to reduced weekday service similar to the (SIR) on days before major holidays.

What the (S53)needs is a limited stop that runs along it's current full route between Pt Richmond and Bay Ridge at least 6 days a week.

I admit I have not riden on the (S53)on a 'normal' weekday in few years. Based on riding the (S53) usually on Saturdays, it does get SRO between Victory/Clove and Bay Ridge. Sundays on the (S53) just needs better headways.

The thing is CSI students have classes on Saturdays too, so it should run 7 days a week to help them get back and forth. As far as the headways on the (S53) on Sundays go, they are basically almost the same as the Saturday headways for most of the day, say every 10 minutes on Saturdays instead of every 12 minutes on Sundays.

What could be done is on days CSI is not open, is to reduced weekday service similar to the (SIR) on days before major holidays i.e July 3, Thanksgiving, X-Mas and New Year's Eve.

I admit I have not riden on the (S53)on a 'normal' weekday in few years. Based on riding the (S53)usually on Saturdays ocasionally, it does get SRO between Victory/Clove and Bay Ridge. The full (S53) could be a limited between Pt Richmond and 86th St (R) station. While the short turn Local (S53)would start/end between Victory/Clove like pre-2000(before the S93)was created.

This is a good idea. However to keep the tradition of SI LTD's, I'd name this one the S83

The thing is CSI students have classes on Saturdays too, so it should run 7 days a week to help them get back and forth. As far as the headways on the (S53) on Sundays go, they are basically almost the same as the Saturday headways for most of the day, say every 10 minutes on Saturdays instead of every 12 minutes on Sundays.

Sorry my friend disagree to a point. I raise this question. Do a high # of current (S62) on weekends transfer to/from the (S53)at Clove RD?Unless there is a really need for (S93) riders on the western end of Victory Blvd. (Richmond Ave

and points *west) and Travis area of the current (S62)going to Brooklyn, there is no need for weekend (S93)

CSI-Bay Ridge service. A compromise could be to run the (S93)on Saturdays every 30 minutes from say 7am-6pm.

Almost every college in US on Sundays are closed not counting sporting events and other off academic events.

If so, then that the only way the (S93)needs to run full time 7 days a week and extended to at least Richmond Ave.

That what I think.

really the S53 isnt that slow?? not with my experience ??

Sorry my friend disagree to a point. I raise this question. Do a high # of current (S62) on weekends transfer to/from the (S53)at Clove RD?Unless there is a really need for (S93) riders on the western end of Victory Blvd. (Richmond Ave

and points *west) and Travis area of the current (S62)going to Brooklyn, there is no need for weekend (S93)

CSI-Bay Ridge service. A compromise could be to run the (S93)on Saturdays every 30 minutes from say 7am-6pm.

Almost every college in US on Sundays are closed not counting sporting events and other off academic events.

If so, then that the only way the (S93)needs to run full time 7 days a week and extended to at least Richmond Ave.

That what I think.

Well that's also a problem. They don't link any of the Victory Blvd buses up with the (S53). I'll take a Victory Blvd bus over from say the X12 after stopping at the MET supermarket there at Manor and Victory when I don't want to deal w/car service to try to catch the (S53) and I miss it by a few minutes. :mad:

I saw it happen to a few other folks too on a late Sunday night taking the (S53) and trying to catch a Victory Blvd bus. Of course that meant waiting a half hour for next one. Believe me they were not pleased, and made it clear while they were on the bus. :eek:

If they extended the (S93) down to Richmond Avenue it may boost ridership, but I agree. I don't know for sure about having it run on Sundays, but definitely Saturdays. There should definitely be a limited stop version of the (S53) 7 days a week.

I'd be curious to see how ridership has grown on that line for the last few years because it has to be the busiest line on Staten Island. That bus is even crowded during the late nights.

really the S53 isnt that slow?? not with my experience ??

To answer your question, it can gain some speed at times, but that bus makes way too many stops. It's really annoying and the people on that line don't help any because they are constantly ringing the damn bell for the wrong stop or waiting until the very last minute to get off. :mad:

So this morning I heard on NY1 that both the Verrazano and Lincoln Tunnel were severly backed up, so after realizing that the X14 and X30 were both MIA and would be very late if they came at all due the traffic back ups, I made my way over to Victory and Manor via quick transfers to the (S48) and (S54).

While waiting for an X12 at Manor and Victory, I noticed an (S93) (to my surprise) and got on since it was clear from the extra long line that the X12 was also screwed up. I took it to Narrows Road South & Hylan where I was able to finally catch an express bus (a X2).

I have a few questions...

If they're only running the (S93) from SI College to Bay Ridge, why does it run so early in the morning coming from SI College? I didn't even realize that it runs to Bay Ridge in the morning and assumed that it just ran that way during the evening rush. The bus wasn't crowded at all. There are times though when it is crowded. This bus was the last bus of the morning and when I catch it at night, it is usually the last bus of the evening.

The times that I've used it, it doesn't seem to get heavy usage, so why not extend it so that it gets higher ridership and other folks can benefit from it aside from SI College folks? Those buses would be put to better use if they did the following:

Create two limited stop branches for the (S53). One to Port Richmond and the other could be like it's own route. It should run at least down to Richmond Avenue. I say this because if some of those buses are running half empty they'd be better used on the (S53) which is often packed coming from Port Richmond in the morning.

The advantages of the Express Bus Plus MetroCard. :D

I remember a while back, I took a bus from CSI around 7:00AM, and a couple of people were waiting at the stop, and it ended up being SRO by the time it reached the VZ Bridge. Another time, I took the 8:30AM bus, and for some reason, it wasn't as crowded: There were still seats left as it went over the bridge.

For some reason, ridership on this route is very odd (as is the ridership on many SI routes). Sometimes a run is crowded, and then the next day, it won't be.

True, but not as many as on weekdays.

That what I think.

I definitely think that the S93 should go to Richmond Avenue, especially with the added service in the form of the S89 going down the street (so that means that there is no excuse after the S89 was created in 2007).

I think the reason that they end at CSI (aside from the fact that the route was originally created to serve the Brooklyn-CSI market) is that it is a straight shot up the MLK to the Castleton Depot (though many buses just turn around and go back to Brooklyn). That argument may have made sense when it was created but now that it has 2-way service, that advantage is negated.

As far as additional service goes, I say that the following compromise is made: The S92 is eliminated and the S62 runs the same route from Travis to St. George all times. The money saved by this would be used to give the S93 30 minute headways during middays.

In addition, the S62 would be reduced to 30 minute headways on Saturdays, with the portion between St. George and Jewett Avenue still having the S61 every 15 minutes, and the portion between Jewett Avenue and Richmond Avenue having the S62 and S93 together producing a 15 minute headway.

To answer your question, it can gain some speed at times, but that bus makes way too many stops. It's really annoying and the people on that line don't help any because they are constantly ringing the damn bell for the wrong stop or waiting until the very last minute to get off. :mad:

There have been plenty of times when I outran the S53 from the Broadway YMCA to Forest Avenue (roughly 5-6 blocks).

The advantages of the Express Bus Plus MetroCard. :D

I remember a while back, I took a bus from CSI around 7:00AM, and a couple of people were waiting at the stop, and it ended up being SRO by the time it reached the VZ Bridge. Another time, I took the 8:30AM bus, and for some reason, it wasn't as crowded: There were still seats left as it went over the bridge.

The express buses are like that too. Somedays coming home the X14 will be crowded and other days it's 5 people on it. Really weird... What I notice too is that whenever it rains forget it. The buses are packed.

I'm still trying to figure out why the whole transit system comes to a grinding hault over a little rain? It wasn't even raining that hard for things to be backed up the way it was this morning and I didn't hear of any accidents either. :eek:

'Cause no one wants to go through the rain :D

I experience that here too in The Netherlands. Buses are more packed here when it rains. It's only 'cause no one wants to go through the rain, so that must be the case too on SI.

'Cause no one wants to go through the rain :D

I experience that here too in The Netherlands. Buses are more packed here when it rains. It's only 'cause no one wants to go through the rain, so that must be the case too on SI.

I can imagine it must be frequent too because it rains quite a bit in the Netherlands. I was under the impression that most folks ride bikes in say Amsterdam. What about cities like Rotterdam, New Utrech, areas that are more suburban?

As a CSI student who attends the college on Saturdays, the S93 would greatly help on Saturdays...but whether what frequency it deserves is beyond me.

I figured you'd know. The times that I take the (S53) on Saturdays to the X1 or X10 there are usually a lot of CSI students that get on. What about on Sundays? Do they do activities on campus then?

I've been to CSI twice... Once for my study abroad program and then for the hearing. The first time I went I believe on the (S62) and I was still sort of getting my feel for the island since I was still theoretically living in Brooklyn. That ride seemed like it took forever.

The second I came for the hearing via the X10.

I figured you'd know. The times that I take the (S53) on Saturdays to the X1 or X10 there are usually a lot of CSI students that get on. What about on Sundays? Do they do activities on campus then?

I've been to CSI twice... Once for my study abroad program and then for the hearing. The first time I went I believe on the (S62) and I was still sort of getting my feel for the island since I was still theoretically living in Brooklyn. That ride seemed like it took forever.

I think we can all agree. The (S93) should be expanded to run all day weekdays until at least 8pm. possibly Saturdays as well.

And Sundays for the handful of CSI-Brooklyn riders, they can use the (S62)to/from the "s53' at Victory and Clove. Middays the "S93" could run every 30-60 minutes. Not sure in this ongoing budget crisis the (MTA) would agree to extending the (S93) to/from Victory/Richmond? Plus how do you terminate the (S93) at Victory/Richmond Ave?

Checkmate's suggestion is actually pretty good. Only issue since I don't know the Travis neighborhood that well is would they upset if their weekend (S62)service was reduced to every 30 minutes?

I think we can all agree. The (S93) should be expanded to run all day weekdays until at least 8pm. possibly Saturdays as well.

And Sundays for the handful of CSI-Brooklyn riders, they can use the (S62)to/from the "s53' at Victory and Clove. Middays the "S93" could run every 30-60 minutes. Not sure in this ongoing budget crisis the (MTA) would agree to extending the (S93) to/from Victory/Richmond? Plus how do you terminate the (S93) at Victory/Richmond Ave?

Checkmate's suggestion is actually pretty good. Only issue since I don't know the Travis neighborhood that well is would they upset if their weekend (S62)service was reduced to every 30 minutes?

The (S62) is a core bus that is needed regardless of what happens with the (S93), so reducing it would not be a good idea since it serves all of Victory Blvd for those needing the SI Ferry. It's one of the few so called "West-East" or "Crosstown" buses on the island.

I can imagine it must be frequent too because it rains quite a bit in the Netherlands. I was under the impression that most folks ride bikes in say Amsterdam. What about cities like Rotterdam, New Utrech, areas that are more suburban?

In Amsterdam, a lot of people ride the bike 'cause of the traffic and public transportation hiccups. In Rotterdam, a lot of people go by car. In Utrecht, a lot of people take the bus. In my hometown Almere (which is also quite big and still growing), everyone takes the bus, but that's 'cause 99% of the bus routes in Almere use seperate bus lanes, so it's really a bus city.

There are classes on Sundays as well. I took a sunday class back in Fall of 2009 when i had first started.

There are places to layover in the area. There is a side street (without a lot of residences) called Clifton Street one block south of Victory Blvd. The buses can go Richmond Avenue->Clifton Street->Jones Street->Victory Blvd to turn around (and the same can apply to any S62 buses not going to Travis)

The extension would basically cost nothing, as there would be increased ridership as a result of the connections to the Richmond Avenue buses.

On weekends, every neighborhood west of CSI has 30 minute headways on the S62, so their situation would be unchanged.

The (S62) is a core bus that is needed regardless of what happens with the (S93), so reducing it would not be a good idea since it serves all of Victory Blvd for those needing the SI Ferry. It's one of the few so called "West-East" or "Crosstown" buses on the island.

All of the buses meeting the SI Ferry would be going to Travis. All of the buses that don’t meet the ferry (which terminate at CSI anyway) would be basically rerouted as S93 buses.

The only customers who would see reduced service would be those traveling east of Clove Road (who aren’t going to the ferry). Those customers would be able to take the S93, which would be timed to connect with the S61 (like I said, customers west of Richmond Avenue have 30 minute headways anyway). Those buses tend to be emptier than those meeting the ferry anyway.

Sundays, I don’t think it is worth it to run the S93. The S62 already runs every 30 minutes, so you can’t reduce the service to add S93 service.

There are places to layover in the area. There is a side street (without a lot of residences) called Clifton Street one block south of Victory Blvd. The buses can go Richmond Avenue->Clifton Street->Jones Street->Victory Blvd to turn around (and the same can apply to any S62 buses not going to Travis)

The extension would basically cost nothing, as there would be increased ridership as a result of the connections to the Richmond Avenue buses.

On weekends, every neighborhood west of CSI has 30 minute headways on the S62, so their situation would be unchanged.

All of the buses meeting the SI Ferry would be going to Travis. All of the buses that don’t meet the ferry (which terminate at CSI anyway) would be basically rerouted as S93 buses.

The only customers who would see reduced service would be those traveling east of Clove Road (who aren’t going to the ferry). Those customers would be able to take the S93, which would be timed to connect with the S61 (like I said, customers west of Richmond Avenue have 30 minute headways anyway). Those buses tend to be emptier than those meeting the ferry anyway.

Sundays, I don’t think it is worth it to run the S93. The S62 already runs every 30 minutes, so you can’t reduce the service to add S93 service.

I took the X10 last Sunday, got off at Slosson, and walked the few short blocks and caught and (S62) for the short ride over to Clove for the (S53). The bus was SRO, so you could perhaps run the (S93) every half hour in the future. I would imagine demand getting higher esp. with gas prices going up and the economy still in the tank.

I've actually been using the local bus more now to and from the express bus on the weekends since I've been having problems getting cabs of late. For the St. Patricks Day parade last Sunday on Forest Ave., I would've had to have waited a friggin' hour to get car service for a 5 minute $10.00 ride to the X10!! :mad:

So then yeah it should be 7 days a week...

Sorry Garibladi got to disagree. Even the old (S60) serving Wagner College and St John's SI did not on Sundays.

There is alternative service for the very handful of CSI riders Sundays that need to go there. It's called the S62 or certain parts of the CSI campus the S61 as well.

In related thread, some posters wanted to end full Sunday N20 service to/from Hicksville. I disagree on point unlike CSI students, the N20 riders who may go to special events or handful of classes on Sundays, at LIU-CW Post,SUNY Westbury and NYIT have no alternative mass transit services other than a cab. CSI still have a transfer to (S53)

to get to CSI on Sundays. Plus do we need to run the (S93) on major holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc as well.

You make a good point that SI needs more bus service. However Garibaldi let's not get greedy and ask for 5-minute headways on the S53 at 11pm on Sunday Nights for instance.

Sorry Garibladi got to disagree. Even the old (S60) serving Wagner College and St John's SI did not on Sundays.

There is alternative service for the very handful of CSI riders Sundays that need to go there. It's called the S62 or certain parts of the CSI campus the S61 as well.

In related thread, some posters wanted to end full Sunday N20 service to/from Hicksville. I disagree on point unlike CSI students, the N20 riders who may go to special events or handful of classes on Sundays, at LIU-CW Post,SUNY Westbury and NYIT have no alternative mass transit services other than a cab. CSI still have a transfer to (S53)

to get to CSI on Sundays. Plus do we need to run the (S93) on major holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc as well.

You make a good point that SI needs more bus service. However Garibaldi let's not get greedy and ask for 5-minute headways on the S53 at 11pm on Sunday Nights.

If that case Garibaldi maybe it's time to invest in buying a car.

When did I say that?? And yeah I've thought about getting a car and still am. The problem is it would limit my flexibility in being able to pick and choose which express buses I can use. Yesterday for example I took the X2 in and the X12 home, so if I drove to one bus I would be forced to catch that bus exclusively going home or perhaps park in some area that I didn't care to park in so once I move which I'm still figuring out where on Staten Island, I'll make that decision.

I'm considering somewhere near Victory Blvd this way I have access to the X10 and X12 within walking distance as well as the SIE and the South Shore buses nearby and several local buses that can drop me quickly should I not want to drive or take car service like the (S93).

Speaking of the (S60) though, I am curious to see ridership stats for the (S66) since it has been re-routed up by Grymes Hill. From my observations people West of Clove Rd don't seem to want to use it.

The thing with the (S93) though is that it would provide service for folks outside of CSI as opposed to the (S60) which mainly served college students and the elderly. It may not be feasible right now, but it should be considered in the near future if ridership continues to grow on Staten Island the way current is.

Archived