GPS Tracking on buses

Via Garibaldi 8

We all know what it could mean for passengers, but the question is, what does it mean for Bus Operators? Has anything changed now that the service has been rolled out on the (M16), (M34) and (B63)? Comments?

I hope it doesn't mean bus drivers getting in trouble for stopping to get coffee while driving a not in service bus to/from somewhere.

I hope it doesn't mean bus drivers getting in trouble for stopping to get coffee while driving a not in service bus to/from somewhere.

Well that's what I'm curious about? How far will the tracking go exactly? Are they being tracked when they're not in service also? I'm trying to see if any B/Os can give some insight into this.

Unofficially and logistically speaking, the MTA is not stupid when it comes to implementing new technology thats a win-win for these guys. What I mean by that is, you have the GPS in place to assist customers further with their commute instead of getting thousands of angry calls about why the buses are late, and confused by when the next one will arrive - it saves the headaches and somewhat lets the public entrusts a bit further with MTA. That's number one.

And number two: bus operators will definitely have something to think about, especially the 'hawks' like blowing a (round)-trip, find a spot to kick back and relax ... thinking there's no 'eye' in the sky. You also have to consider the shady operators who take the bus off-route often enough then dispatch wants to know why their late. It all plays a part as evidence. Cold.

This changes everything and it's only the beginning - mark my words.

There's plenty of time for coffee breaks at the end of each run, I'm sure of that, but the BusTime system is primarily for riders wanting to keep track of where their next bus is, and so far it's pretty useful. On a mobile phone it's not as useful to me as it could have been but on a computer it's pretty damn interesting

I wonder what the feedback has been thus far from the passengers on the lines that have it and from the B/Os.... Checkmate helped me test it out and see how it worked with the (M34)/(M16) on my Blackberry and based on that test, I have to say that it will certainly help my commute in that it could save me from having to call car service so much since I'll be able to find out whether or not the local is coming once I get off of the express bus that puts me further away from the house when I leave the office later.

Aside from that as others have said, it just allows you to plan your trip a lot better and be less stressed out.

I wonder what the feedback has been thus far from the passengers on the lines that have it and from the B/Os.... Checkmate helped me test it out and see how it worked with the (M34)/(M16) on my Blackberry and based on that test, I have to say that it will certainly help my commute in that it could save me from having to call car service so much since I'll be able to find out whether or not the local is coming once I get off of the express bus that puts me further away from the house when I leave the office later.

Aside from that as others have said, it just allows you to plan your trip a lot better and be less stressed out.

M16/M34 are not the same as what they propose to implement on SI. They use Clever Devices. Test (B63), that's what SI will use.

Archived