November 1993 Staten Island Bus Map

LRG

I say leave the 54's route alone. Anyway, don't some (54)s {& (57)s} end &/or start from Seaview in the morning &/or at other times? I'll have to factcheck that.

The x1 used to be the original x13.

The original x8 was a Port Richmond/Downtown Brooklyn express bus route. That's interesting, an X-bus that DIDN'T go into Manhattan AT ALL.

The S54 has 3 AM runs that run from West New Brighton to Seaview Hospital. On the S57, all runs run from Port Richmond to New Dorp:

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s054cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s057cur.pdf

During school hours, there are special S54 and S57 (as well as S61) runs that start from Susan Wagner High School.

Yeah that is interesting, and even more interesting that they actually had a Downtown Brooklyn express bus route. Well back in the day Port Richmond was a great area and then the SI Mall opened up and the area fell on hard times and businesses left to the South Shore. :cry:

The x10 "seems" to be the Old x8's descendant, despite being a Manhattan X-bus route. I could be wrong about that though.

The Port Richmond of the Old Days was SI's Shopping Mecca. All the stores were there, movie theaters, an alive'n'kicking North Shore SIRT, etc et al. Then its Golden Age ended:(

It still has more of a commerical district than many parts of the South Shore, though. The difference is that, rather than being big-box stores, it has more convenience stores on the northern section of Port Richmond Avenue. Closer to Forest Avenue has more of the big-box stores.

On the plus side, it does have more of a variety of ethnic stores and restaurants than other places on Staten Island, such as the Peruvian restaurant at Castleton Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue. My family wanted to get Peruvian food one time, and all of the restaurants were in New Jersey (mostly over the Goethals Bridge). This was the only one in SI.

It still has more of a commerical district than many parts of the South Shore, though. The difference is that, rather than being big-box stores, it has more convenience stores on the northern section of Port Richmond Avenue. Closer to Forest Avenue has more of the big-box stores.

On the plus side, it does have more of a variety of ethnic stores and restaurants than other places on Staten Island, such as the Peruvian restaurant at Castleton Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue. My family wanted to get Peruvian food one time, and all of the restaurants were in New Jersey (mostly over the Goethals Bridge). This was the only one in SI.

How are any of the Spanish places (as in from Spain) here on the island? I forget the name of it, but apparently there are a few Spanish restaurants that are popular here on the island. I also see what appears to be an Ecuadorian shop there on Forest near that Capital One bank area there. I take it the Peruvian place is decent no?

I usually go to restaurants in the city since they authentic Italian ones are mainly down in Chelsea and Lower Manhattan, as well as some of the French and Belgian spots that I like, but during jury duty down in St. George (the half way decent part of it by the court houses), for breakfast I found a nice little Italian-American pastry shop called "Rispoli". Nice place run by an Italian-American woman. I had a macchiato and a pastry. They also have a place over on New Utretch Avenue in Dyker Heights. ;)

Anyway, since you're a Staten Islander now I thought you should know that we West Brighton folks never say "West New Brighton". We just say "West Brighton". Quite frankly I don't want to be confused with "New Brighton" :P

P.S. I don't blame your family for going to New Jersey though. I have a good Venezuelan friend who lives in West New York. Lot of good spots over there.

The S54 has 3 AM runs that run from West New Brighton to Seaview Hospital. On the S57, all runs run from Port Richmond to New Dorp:

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s054cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s057cur.pdf

During school hours, there are special S54 and S57 (as well as S61) runs that start from Susan Wagner High School.

That's a good point.

How are any of the Spanish places (as in from Spain) here on the island? I forget the name of it, but apparently there are a few Spanish restaurants that are popular here on the island. I also see what appears to be an Ecuadorian shop there on Forest near that Capital One bank area there. I take it the Peruvian place is decent no?

I usually go to restaurants in the city since they authentic Italian ones are mainly down in Chelsea and Lower Manhattan, as well as some of the French and Belgian spots that I like, but during jury duty down in St. George (the half way decent part of it by the court houses), for breakfast I found a nice little Italian-American pastry shop called "Rispoli". Nice place run by an Italian-American woman. I had a macchiato and a pastry. They also have a place over on New Utretch Avenue in Dyker Heights. ;)

Anyway, since you're a Staten Islander now I thought you should know that we West Brighton never folks say "West New Brighton". We just say "West Brighton". Quite frankly I don't want to be confused with "New Brighton" :P

P.S. I don't blame your family for going to New Jersey though. I have a good Venezuelan friend who lives in West New York. Lot of good spots over there.

Carmen's is probably the place you're thinking of. It's on the bottom of Barclay Avenue right on Raritan Bay. Right below the deli at Barclay & Hylan. A stone's throw from the SIPP Medical Center. 78 & (59) go there.

Great place. Very good food. I ate there once a little over 10 years ago. Tad pricy.

There are 2 that immediately come to mind. One is "Real Madrid" in Mariners' Harbor) across the street from Western Beef. I believe the other is "Spain Restaurant", which is at 502 Jewett Avenue (a few blocks south of Forest Avenue). I think the "Real Madrid" restaurant has better food, though.

I've only eaten at the Peruvian restaurant once, though. The food was pretty good, but, generally, my family likes to just make our own food. For example, there is a dish known as "mazamorra morada", which is a pudding made from purple corn, with some fruit and cinnamon added to it, and it basically tastes the same regardless of who is making it.

• 1 year later...

I know the X30 was created around 2006 or so and the X23 and X24 are pretty recent too...

I think the X30 was created in 2001 (I know at that point, it had 3 trips each way)

Especially on that line... Another problem with that line is the bunching, so that would make things even worse.

It wouldn't make bunching worse. And now that I think about it, no it wouldn't be confusing. A is local, no A is limited.

Can someone scan a bus map of 1993/96?

There's one for sale on eBay for$15 in 1990.

I used to have a 1996 map, but I can't find it. I have a 1993 map. I might've already scanned it, so I'll check to see if I have the scans (since my scanner doesn't work now)

Another question: did the S62 have weekend short-turns? IINM, the College of Staten Island had just moved or was in the process of moving from where the Petrides school is now.

As for the R8X's successor, I'd argue that it's the X14 actually.

The back of the map didn't mention anything about short-turns. It had some reverse-peak runs to the Teleport, though.

I'll have to check the map to see what the headways were.

And the R8X's successor would probably be the X13, because that went to Lower Manhattan (of course, now it's part of the X14)

Archived