November 1993 Staten Island Bus Map

LRG

Got this in the mail today:

November1993StatenIslandBusMap.jpg

Somethings worthy pointing out (in regards to routing patterns that have significantly changed over the years):

• The only Limiteds that existed at the time were the S91 and S92 Limiteds.
  • The S46 originally terminated at Forest Avenue/Grandview Avenue; there was no service along South Avenue to the West Shore Plaza as.
  • The S51 had a late night terminal -- Midland Avenue/Kiswick Street. In addition there was no Fort Wadsworth service yet. The late night terminal at Midland/Kiswick existed until the mid-2000s when late night service was eventually extended to Grant City.
  • The S55 and S56 operated until approximately 10:00 in the evening; this was later changed to approximately 7 in the evening due to the cuts in the Fall of 1995.
  • The S59 operated at all hours until the cuts in the Fall of 1995, with daytime service operating to Tottenville, and late night service terminating at Hylan Boulevard.
  • Some S62s served the Teleport during rush hours in the peak direction.
  • The S74 operated along Arthur Kill Road between Rossville Avenue and Bloomingdale Road. Today's current S74 routing operates along Rossville Avenue, Woodrow Road and Bloomingdale Road before returning onto Arthur Kill Road on its way to Tottenville. I think this had to do with development of the neighborhood, but I'm not entirely sure.

If you have any more questions about the service patterns I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my ability. Enjoy!

I have a November 1993 bus map. I just want to add some information about the frequencies back then:

S40: 8 minutes during rush hour, 30 minutes other times

S42:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM rush and middays, 30 minute service PM rush and evenings

Weekends: 60 minute headways all day

Havenwood Road branch ran 20 minute service in the AM and 15 minute service in the PM

S44:

Weekdays: 6 minute service AM rush, 15 minute service PM rush, 20 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings.

Weekends: 30 minute service all day

S46:

Weekdays: 8 minute service during rush hour, 20 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings.

Saturdays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

Sundays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 20 minute service middays and PM rush

S48:

Weekdays: 5 minute service AM rush, 6 minute service PM rush, 15 minute service off-peak

Saturdays: Saturdays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

Sundays: 30 minute service all day

S51:

30 minute service all day (It says it for both the Lincoln Road runs and Kiswick Street short-turns, so I don't know if it means 15 minute service up to Kiswick Street)

S52:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM rush and middays, 15 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service evenings

S53:

Weekdays: 8 minute service AM rush, 12 minute service PM rush, 15 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings

Weekends: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 20 minute service middays and PM rush

S54: 12 minute service AM rush, 30 minute service other times.

S55: 30 minute service all day

S56: 30 minute service all day

S57: 20 minute service AM rush, 30 minute service other times

S59:

Weekdays: 20 minute service all day

Weekends: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 20 minute service middays and PM rush

S60: 30 minute service all day

S61:

Weekdays: 15 minute service rush hours, 30 minute service off-peak

S62:

Weekdays:7 minute service AM rush, 15 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service off-peak

Branch to Teleport (operate from St. George in AM, to St. George in PM): 30 minutes AM, 20 minutes PM

S66:

Weekdays: 12 minute service AM rush, 20 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service off-peak

Weekends: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

S67: 15 minute service AM, 20 minute service PM

S74:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM, 30 minute service middays and PM rush, 40 minute service evenings

Weekends: 30 minute service AM, 40 minute service middays and PM rush, 60 minute service evenings

S76:

Weekdays: 10 minute service rush hours, 30 minute service off-peak

Weekends: 30 minute service off-peak

S78:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM, 30 minute service off-peak

Saturdays: 30 minute service all day

Sundays: 40 minute service rush hours and midday, 30 minute service evenings

S79:

S91: 10 minute service AM, 15 minute service PM

S92: 15 minute service AM, 20 minute service PM

Some notes:

The S79 had no evening service Sundays

The S66 had overnight service (and was actually the most frequent bus on weekends before its elimination)

The S59 ran overnight from Forest Avenue to Hylan Blvd only.

The S60 ran from 6AM-12 midnight every day

By the way, on my trip to the SI Mall today, I noticed that, even during rush hour, the S55 and S56 hardly get any passengers.

I came to the mall from the College of Staten Island (on the S91), and saw that the S55 that left came right behind us had no people.

Coming back, I decided to take the S89 on Marsh Avenue, which is less crowded than the S44 and S59 (which stop at the front of the mall, on Ring Road), and I saw an S55 going northbound with no people, and an S55 and S56 going southbound with no people. I wonder how they could've justified 30 minute headways at 10PM (which I believe is when the mall closes) when the routes hardly get any ridership at 6PM.

I can't really think of any ridership-generating destination to extend the routes to. Richmond Avenue already has frequent service, and Forest Hill Road is doing fine with just the S61. There is a gap in coverage between Richmond Avenue and South Avenue, but there is no place in the neighborhood to turn the buses around (the SIE blocks the streets from going from the southern side to the northern side, or else there could be a route going from Richmond Terrace to the SI Mall)

I wonder if there is demand for service to Seaview Hospital from points south and west. As of now, in order to get to Seaview Hospital, you would either have to take the S61 and walk through the Greenbelt, or transfer to the S57. Maybe the service on the S55 and S56 can be reduced down to every 40 minutes, and together, they can go to Seaview Hospital, providing a decently frequent connection to people transferring from points on the South Shore.

I vaguely remember that the map mentioned that they sold express bus tokens.

It does mention express bus tokens. I don't know how long those lasted though and I don't see anything about the fare for those either (local service was $1.25). But there were no MetroCards around yet as that went system-wide the year afterwards.

Something about the bus renumbering:

"All Staten Island bus routes have been renumbered to identify either the region the route serves or the type of service it provides. The new numbering system is easy to understand and provides important service information."

Bus Route Number- Region Served or Service Provided

S40 Series - North Shore (S40, S42, S44, S46, S48)

S50 Series - Cross Island (North to South) (S51, S52, S53, S54, S55, S56, S57, S59)

S60 Series - Victory Boulevard (S60, S61, S62)

S70 Series - South Shore (S74, S76, S78)

S90 Series - Limited-Stop (S91, S92)

It does mention express bus tokens. I don't know how long those lasted though and I don't see anything about the fare for those either (local service was $1.25). But there were no MetroCards around yet as that went system-wide the year afterwards.

What was the express bus fare in 1993?

I have a question for LRG, did you send a letter to the MTA to get that map?

I got it from eBay.

What was the express bus fare in 1993?

I don't know, it didn't say. All it said was the normal bus fare at the time, which was $1.25.

Perhaps you'd be interested in this... I'm too tired from having worked on a pain in the @ss Italian translation... I'm curious to know what the population was then on Staten Island, as well as the ridership numbers back then.

According to this website, the population of Staten Island in 2007 was 481,026: http://www.city-data.com/city/Staten-Island-New-York.html

According to this website, the population of Staten Island in 2009 was 491,730: http://www.city-data.com/county/Richmond_County-NY.html

According to Wikipedia (which supposedly got its information from the Census link at the bottom of the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Staten_Island), the population of Staten Island in 1990 was 378,977.

So, for all intents and purposes, lets say that the population has been growing at a rate of roughly 5,000 people per year. The 1993 population would be roughly 393,000.

Right now, the local bus system gets about 102,000 riders per weekday. So if the population was roughly 80% of what it is today, I would say that there were around 70,000-75,000 local bus riders back then (Remember: Back then, Staten Island was more suburban, meaning that a higher percentage of residents owned cars back then. As people came to Staten Island from Brooklyn, a good portion of them took their non-car owning habits with them, increasing the transit ridership in the borough).

I would assume that the routes with the greater increases in ridership were the S53 and S79 (since the service frequencies have increased the most out of the routes on Staten Island). Also, ridership on the S74 and S78 has also increased, as is shown by their higher frequencies today (I would imagine more on the S74, since the South Shore wasn't as developed back then, especially west of Huguenot Avenue).

The S40, S46 and S48 saw the least increases in service frequencies (though, of course, they probably had the most ridership out of all of the routes on Staten Island, so they were well-used then, and are well-used now)

According to this website, the population of Staten Island in 2007 was 481,026: http://www.city-data.com/city/Staten-Island-New-York.html

According to this website, the population of Staten Island in 2009 was 491,730: http://www.city-data.com/county/Richmond_County-NY.html

According to Wikipedia (which supposedly got its information from the Census link at the bottom of the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Staten_Island), the population of Staten Island in 1990 was 378,977.

So, for all intents and purposes, lets say that the population has been growing at a rate of roughly 5,000 people per year. The 1993 population would be roughly 393,000.

Right now, the local bus system gets about 102,000 riders per weekday. So if the population was roughly 80% of what it is today, I would say that there were around 70,000-75,000 local bus riders back then (Remember: Back then, Staten Island was more suburban, meaning that a higher percentage of residents owned cars back then. As people came to Staten Island from Brooklyn, a good portion of them took their non-car owning habits with them, increasing the transit ridership in the borough).

I would assume that the routes with the greater increases in ridership were the S53 and S79 (since the service frequencies have increased the most out of the routes on Staten Island). Also, ridership on the S74 and S78 has also increased, as is shown by their higher frequencies today (I would imagine more on the S74, since the South Shore wasn't as developed back then, especially west of Huguenot Avenue).

The S40, S46 and S48 saw the least increases in service frequencies (though, of course, they probably had the most ridership out of all of the routes on Staten Island, so they were well-used then, and are well-used now)

Well the North Shore has generally been more "urban" when compared to the South Shore and that's still true today, even though if you compare the North Shore to the other boroughs it's still rather suburban overall.

The South Shore is seeing a lot of Russians moving in in areas like Great Kills and such and so I'm sure that has had some effect on ridership. I certainly hear them from time to time on the X1 and there's an older cool Russian guy that I chat w/from time to time at the stop we get on at on Hylan for the X2. Plus more folks from Southern Brooklyn are moving to the South Shore as well. An Italian American friend of mine from high school who lived in Sheepshead Bay like I did first lived in Oakwood upon moving to Staten Island and now lives in Tottenville. She has a car but takes the SIR to the ferry to the subway every weekday morning to and from work since I believe she works in Downtown Brooklyn.

Another of my old Italian American/Cuban American friends from junior high school had also made the move to Staten Island years ago when I was still back in Brooklyn. They also lived in Tottenville for a while and them moved to Connecticut. Now I have another of my buddies from my high school days who lives on the South Shore as well. I think I'm the only one out of my friends from Southern Brooklyn who has moved to Staten Island that lives currently on the North Shore.

True, but the South Shore has been "urbanizing" more rapidly than the North Shore, which would explain why ridership has been increasing more rapidly over there (though, of course, the North Shore is still more urban).

I wonder how the ridership on the S55 and S56 was back then. The service had longer hours, but, of course, the MTA had money back then (and I also wonder about the areas near Bloomingdale Road-was there any development over there? The S74 bypassed the whole neighborhood, which could mean that that area didn't have as many townhouses and such as it has today, and of course, the S55 wasn't extended to that area until 2007).

True, but the South Shore has been "urbanizing" more rapidly than the North Shore, which would explain why ridership has been increasing more rapidly over there (though, of course, the North Shore is still more urban).

I wonder how the ridership on the S55 and S56 was back then. The service had longer hours, but, of course, the MTA had money back then (and I also wonder about the areas near Bloomingdale Road-was there any development over there? The S74 bypassed the whole neighborhood, which could mean that that area didn't have as many townhouses and such as it has today, and of course, the S55 wasn't extended to that area until 2007).

The North Shore was developed long before the South Shore was so naturally the South Shore would be urbanizing more so now than the North Shore with the influx of folks moving to the South Shore now. As far as the town houses, I can remember when I first came to Staten Island around 1999 or so they were still developing many areas then such as Arrochar; many streets didn't have real sidewalks. A lot of the building of the townhouses and such started in the 2000s. On my block alone we had three town houses go up. The interesting thing about my neighbourhood is that the folks on my block, most of them drive. A few may take the express bus and very few if any use the local bus. Most of them seem to be retired or semi-retired or work odd hours so they drive.

I didn't think there were that many places that far north (like Arrochar) that were relatively undeveloped.

In my neighborhood, there has also been some development: A couple of years before my family moved in, there were 2 houses (they had one floor, but made up for it in the size of the lot) that were knocked down to make room for 7 townhouses, and another house that was knocked down to make room for 2 more detached houses.

In my neighborhood, you don't really see a lot of regular people using the local buses either: Mainly children going to school (though non-student ridership isn't as low as the South Shore). During rush hour, at the stop that I get on, I see a whole line of people waiting for the express bus (they usually park their cars on Christopher Lane, which is the service road to the SIE), and a few people waiting for the S89. The only people who would get on an S44 or S59 would be students.

The thing about having a car is that, once you have one, there is very little incentive to use the local transportation system. For example, my family has a car because the trip to work can take 40 minutes, because of the low frequency of the buses early in the morning. Since we have a car, we mainly use public transportation during the weekday. As soon as the car is available, there is no point in paying $2.25 each for 4 people (seniors ride for $1.10, and my little brother is too short to pay a fare), when the marginal cost of making the trip by car is less than $2.25). The only time when we use public transportation when the car is available are on trips to Manhattan or Brooklyn.

I didn't think there were that many places that far north (like Arrochar) that were relatively undeveloped.

There were houses and such, but you have to remember that a lot of houses were torn down to make way to stick two or three houses on the same lot. That's really what I'm getting at. In other words, the push to cram as many houses as possible and tear down houses with charm and character was happening for some time even well before my arrival. In places where there were empty lots, instead of building one house, two were built, which of course meant smaller houses at higher price tags.

Regarding the X17, I know what you mean. I've seen it plenty of times myself and have used the stop as well via car service. It's the stop with the dirt sidewalk there that leads to the SIE right?

The last few nights I've been working late (tons of projects to work on) and I've noticed that the X10s have all been rather older buses, all 1900s. 1990, 1994, etc. respectively. They were on time too to my surprise. I just wonder what's been happening on the weekends coming back to Staten Island. They were MIA for two weekends in a row and last Sunday night the bus was almost a half an hour late.

I'm assuming that most of those 1900s will be retired once the new expresses are delivered to Castleton. Most of them don't look in horrible shape per se, but you can tell that they've been around a while and that it's time for them to go.

That stop gets a lot of riders as well, but I was referring to the stop across the street (where the X17J stops). It is the side where the northbound buses stop and the X10 drops off (the side where the former Staten Island Hotel is).

I've noticed that, lately, the express buses have been getting fewer riders during rush hour. Buses used to pull up with most of the seats full. Now, they pull up and there is room for everybody.

Since peak service is more expensive to provide (because of the split shifts and deadheading costs involved), they'll probably reduce the service a bit.

Got this in the mail today:

November1993StatenIslandBusMap.jpg

Somethings worthy pointing out (in regards to routing patterns that have significantly changed over the years):

• The only Limiteds that existed at the time were the S91 and S92 Limiteds.

• The S46 originally terminated at Forest Avenue/Grandview Avenue; there was no service along South Avenue to the West Shore Plaza as.

• The S51 had a late night terminal -- Midland Avenue/Kiswick Street. In addition there was no Fort Wadsworth service yet. The late night terminal at Midland/Kiswick existed until the mid-2000s when late night service was eventually extended to Grant City.

• The S55 and S56 operated until approximately 10:00 in the evening; this was later changed to approximately 7 in the evening due to the cuts in the Fall of 1995.

• The S59 operated at all hours until the cuts in the Fall of 1995, with daytime service operating to Tottenville, and late night service terminating at Hylan Boulevard.

• Some S62s served the Teleport during rush hours in the peak direction.

• The S74 operated along Arthur Kill Road between Rossville Avenue and Bloomingdale Road. Today's current S74 routing operates along Rossville Avenue, Woodrow Road and Bloomingdale Road before returning onto Arthur Kill Road on its way to Tottenville. I think this had to do with development of the neighborhood, but I'm not entirely sure.

If you have any more questions about the service patterns I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my ability. Enjoy!

:cool:Very interesting!:tup:

I miss those days:( I miss the pre-1995 Service Cuts 59.

I have a November 1993 bus map. I just want to add some information about the frequencies back then:

S40: 8 minutes during rush hour, 30 minutes other times

S42:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM rush and middays, 30 minute service PM rush and evenings

Weekends: 60 minute headways all day

Havenwood Road branch ran 20 minute service in the AM and 15 minute service in the PM

S44:

Weekdays: 6 minute service AM rush, 15 minute service PM rush, 20 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings.

S46:

Weekdays: 8 minute service during rush hour, 20 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings.

Saturdays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

Sundays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 20 minute service middays and PM rush

S48:

Weekdays: 5 minute service AM rush, 6 minute service PM rush, 15 minute service off-peak

Saturdays: Saturdays: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

Sundays: 30 minute service all day

S51:

30 minute service all day (It says it for both the Lincoln Road runs and Kiswick Street short-turns, so I don't know if it means 15 minute service up to Kiswick Street)

S52:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM rush and middays, 15 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service evenings

S53:

Weekdays: 8 minute service AM rush, 12 minute service PM rush, 15 minute service middays, 30 minute service evenings

S54: 12 minute service AM rush, 30 minute service other times.

S55: 30 minute service all day

S56: 30 minute service all day

S57: 20 minute service AM rush, 30 minute service other times

S59:

Weekdays: 20 minute service all day

S60: 30 minute service all day

S61:

S62:

Weekdays:7 minute service AM rush, 15 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service off-peak

Branch to Teleport (operate from St. George in AM, to St. George in PM): 30 minutes AM, 20 minutes PM

S66:

Weekdays: 12 minute service AM rush, 20 minute service PM rush, 30 minute service off-peak

Weekends: 30 minute service AM rush and evenings, 15 minute service middays and PM rush

S67: 15 minute service AM, 20 minute service PM

S74:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM, 30 minute service middays and PM rush, 40 minute service evenings

Weekends: 30 minute service AM, 40 minute service middays and PM rush, 60 minute service evenings

S76:

Weekdays: 10 minute service rush hours, 30 minute service off-peak

Weekends: 30 minute service off-peak

S78:

Weekdays: 20 minute service AM, 30 minute service off-peak

Saturdays: 30 minute service all day

Sundays: 40 minute service rush hours and midday, 30 minute service evenings

S79:

S91: 10 minute service AM, 15 minute service PM

S92: 15 minute service AM, 20 minute service PM

Some notes:

* The S79 had no evening service Sundays

* The S66 had overnight service (and was actually the most frequent bus on weekends before its elimination)

* The S59 ran overnight from Forest Avenue to Hylan Blvd only.

* The S60 ran from 6AM-12 midnight every day

Interesting stuff.

I first learned of the Teleport "isotope" of the 62 from a 1991 MTA SI Bus Map that used to be on car #440 of the SIR. Maybe it still is(?).

I wonder when the MTA killed Teleport serving (62)s.

I vaguely remember that the map mentioned that they sold express bus tokens.

Forgot all about those.

:cool:Very interesting!:tup:

I miss those days:( I miss the pre-1995 Service Cuts 59.

Interesting stuff.

I first learned of the Teleport "isotope" of the 62 from a 1991 MTA SI Bus Map that used to be on car #440 of the SIR. Maybe it still is(?).

I wonder when the MTA killed Teleport serving (62)s.

Thanks!

The MTA killed off the Teleport S62s whenever the S46 was extended to West Shore Plaza, which was the mid-1990s. Some S46 buses would serve the Teleport before continuing to their appropriate destinations. But looking at present maps, it seems like S46s no longer serve the Teleport.

I have a 1996 bus map that doesn't show the S62 Teleport branch, but I'm not sure if it shows the S46 extension to the Teleport. So we know that the S62 Teleport branch was discontinued sometime between 1993 and 1996 (actually, I think it was discontinued in the 1995 service reductions)

Thanks!

The MTA killed off the Teleport S62s whenever the S46 was extended to West Shore Plaza, which was the mid-1990s. Some S46 buses would serve the Teleport before continuing to their appropriate destinations. But looking at present maps, it seems like S46s no longer serve the Teleport.

IIRC the Teleport is now up for sale(?).

I have a 1996 bus map that doesn't show the S62 Teleport branch, but I'm not sure if it shows the S46 extension to the Teleport. So we know that the S62 Teleport branch was discontinued sometime between 1993 and 1996 (actually, I think it was discontinued in the 1995 service reductions)

You're probably right. The timing would coincide.

Archived