SF Giants fan seriously beaten by Dodgers fans at 2011 Baseball Opener

Shortline Bus

SF Giants fan seriously beaten, 25 people arrested at Dodgers home opener

By Richard Winton

LA Times Writer

April 1, 2011

As police searched for a group of Dodgers fans who allegedly beat a Giants fan, officials said about 25 people were arrested for various infractions during Thursday's opening day festivities at Dodger Stadium.

Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg said most of the 25 arrests were related to intoxication due to the consumption of too much alcohol. The number of overall arrests was markedly down from last year’s opening day, when 132 arrests were made.

Because Dodgers opening day is known for its heavy drinking, rowdy crowds, the LAPD was out in full force at Thursday’s game to try to avoid a repeat of unruly behavior of past years.

The most serious incident occurred after the game when a Giants fan was beaten.

"The man suffered a serious head injury during the assault after the game,'' said LAPD Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg, watch commander at the Northeast Station.

Rosenberg said the victim was one of three Giants fans attacked in the parking lot around the end of the game by two unidentified men wearing Dodgers clothing.

The unprovoked attack occurred about 8:30 p.m. in Parking Lot 2 when two men in Dodgers clothing approached three victims in Giants apparel, police said.

The two men then attacked the trio, kicking and punching them and shouting expletives about the Giants as they delivered the blows, Rosenberg said. The attack left one victim hospitalized in critical but stable condition, Rosenberg said.

The LAPD arrested at least two people for public intoxication in the parking lot compared with more than 130 on opening day last year.

Detectives ask anyone with information on the attack to call the LAPD's Northeast Station at (213) 485-2563.

Public intoxication has been an issue at Dodger home openers in the past, leading to police crackdowns. It's unclear if drinking was a factor in this case. The Dodgers beat the Giants 2-1."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/giants-fan-seriously-beaten-25-people-arrested-at-dodgers-home-opener.html

I am surprised this has not gotten more attention back east. This easily could be Red Sox fan beaten at Yankee Stadum.

Giants Fan in Coma, $10,000 Reward Offered for Suspects:

BY David Begnaud's

KTLA-CW 5 LA Reporter

CHAVEZ RAVINE April 3, 2011 (KTLA) -- Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich has issued a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those who severely beat a Giants fan at the end of the Dodgers home opener Thursday.

The attackers are believed to be between the ages of 18-25 and have shaved heads and thin mustaches.

One had a goatee, and the other had tattoos on his neck.

They were wearing Dodgers apparel at the time of the attack.

A third suspect, a female, is being sought for driving the men away from the scene.

Police say the assault happened around 8:30 p.m. in Parking Lot 2. The suspects reportedly beat Northern California resident Brian Stow, 42, to the ground, kicking him repeatedly in the head.

Stow, a paramedic and father of two young children, is in a medically-induced coma and may need a frontal lobe removed as a result of severe brain swelling.

The victim and three friends were approached after Thursday's game by a group of Dodgers fans, according to Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg.

Two of the men attacked the trio, Rosenberg said, kicking and punching them while shouting expletives about the Giants.

Police said 25 people were arrested for various infractions on opening day, most of them related to public intoxication. More than 130 were arrested on opening day last year.

It's not clear if drinking was a factor in the attack.

Dodgers Vice President of Communications Josh Rawitch issued this statement about the attack:

"It is extremely unfortunate that this incident took place on what was otherwise a great day at Dodger Stadium for tens of thousands of fans. We're committed to having the most fan and family friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority. We are cooperating fully with authorities during their investigation and we wish this fan a speedy recovery."

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has taped a public service announcement about the incident.

The PSA was taped at Dodger Stadium on Sunday with one family of Dodger fans and one family of Giants fans.

"It's a great rivalry between teams competing on the field of play," Villaraigosa says in the spot. "Let's stand together in honor of that rivalry and root hard for your teams, with civility and good sportsmanship."

Also on Sunday, Villaraigosa and San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee released a joint statement:

"This attack is unconscionable behavior that will not be tolerated in either of our ballparks or in either of our cities. Once apprehended, the attackers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Public safety is the top priority for all of us and even one act of random violence is unacceptable.

Baseball is a family sport that has unified our country after times of crisis and tragedy. This senseless act of violence has no place in our society and certainly not in our national pastime.

The Giant/Dodger rivalry is one of the most storied in all of sports, dating back to when the teams played across town in New York City before their moves to California. This is a great rivalry between teams competing on the field of play. That's where it must stay.

We call on our respective citizens to stand together in honor of that rivalry as you have done throughout the years. Root hard for your teams, and do so with civility and common decency.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim Bryan Stow and his family. The best thing that we as a community of baseball fans can do to support Bryan and his family is to rise above this outrageous act and exercise good sportsmanship and mutual respect for each other."

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-giants-fan-beaten,0,6802176.story

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/?watchId=a18a1507-591f-4ebd-a701-518d2f08bb7d

Anyone with information is asked to call the LAPD's Northeast Station at (213) 485-2563.""

Dodgers-Giants, Yanks-Sox, Mets-Phils, Knicks-Nets-76ers,Lakers-Celts,Rangers-Islanders-Devils, Jets-Pats, Giants-Eagles-Cowboys, AMD-Intel, PC-Apple, NVIDIA-AMD (ATI), the list goes on and on, but one constant flows through all of the above mentioned rivalries. All of the above are making money laughing at the fans and fanboys doing all the arguing and fighting for "their" team. They're laughing in their boardrooms while the so-called fan surveys his/her empty wallet looking for money. What was that P.T. Barnum said about suckers again?

Dodgers-Giants, Yanks-Sox, Mets-Phils, Knicks-Nets-76ers,Lakers-Celts,Rangers-Islanders-Devils, Jets-Pats, Giants-Eagles-Cowboys, AMD-Intel, PC-Apple, NVIDIA-AMD (ATI), the list goes on and on, but one constant flows through all of the above mentioned rivalries. All of the above are making money laughing at the fans and fanboys doing all the arguing and fighting for "their" team. They're laughing in their boardrooms while the so-called fan surveys his/her empty wallet looking for money. What was that P.T. Barnum said about suckers again?

Very true. A sad update that man condition has been sent into a coma and his chances of waking up is 'slim.':cry:

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/stadium-assault-update-20110405

For some reason I never pictured something like this happening in LA. I thought they had the reputation as a laid back, leave in the 7th inning, type of fan. Boston, New York, Philly, maybe Chicago or Detroit, but not Southern California. Well the census says the West and Southwest have gained population in the last 10-20 years so maybe the stupidity factor has grown,too. We're not talking about a Super Bowl, NCAA championship, or World Series here but Opening Day of the season for Pete's sake. And to think I used to say those English soccer fans were savages. Obviously an ocean and a continent arent enough to keep that hooliganism from spreading around the world. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Maybe until the 1980's they were 'laid back.' Since the early '90's (which played a huge role in the Rodney King LAPD riots)the gangs have invaded events in LA including the Lakers/Kings games at Staples Center. Also the gangs and the fights during and after games was a big factor why the NFL

Raiders and owner Al Davis left LA for a return to Oakland.

Even Oakland has problems with these fights following Raiders/A's games as well and both clubs looking into leaving Oakland.

So what this unfournate beating of this SF Giants highlights is the 20-year plus problems of gangs like the crips and bloods that the mainstream news media have avoided discussing since the Rodney King riots.

I am not saying the jerks who beat this fan are a member of gangs. However the gang culture along with drunken people and lack of security makes it rough for someone especially from out of town attend sporting events in both LA and Oakland.B)

God damn. This is why I'll watch the baseball games on my TELEVISION. Away from the riff-raff.

Do you go to the movies rr4567? If so there also been muggings/beatings/robberies and worse crimes as well on occasion. In the bronx for yankee games, at least since the Yankees began their run of making the playoffs for last 14 of 15 years, it very safe.

Matter of fact on Game Day/Night, there so many NYPD cops there, it might be the safest place in NYC. What happened at Dodger Stadium sounds like a crappy job of security by both the LAPD and Dodger stadium security.

In most cases going to an afternoon MLB game is much safer than night. So rr4567 if you have the money as you play it safe, I am sure you be fine going to Citifield, Yankee Stadium or Cyclones Park (or w/e it's called now)in Coney Island.

Do you go to the movies rr4567? If so there also been muggings/beatings/robberies and worse crimes as well on occasion. In the bronx for yankee games, at least since the Yankees began their run of making the playoffs for last 14 of 15 years, it very safe.

Matter of fact on Game Day/Night, there so many NYPD cops there, it might be the safest place in NYC. What happened at Dodger Stadium sounds like a crappy job of security by both the LAPD and Dodger stadium security.

In most cases going to an afternoon MLB game is much safer than night. So rr4567 if you have the money as you play it safe, I am sure you be fine going to Citifield, Yankee Stadium or Cyclones Park (or w/e it's called now)in Coney Island.

Last Night at the hosptial where that Giant fan is being treated at, at least couple hundred people including Dodger fans held a vigil for him. At least some people cared.

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/1f86eee4-4fce-409d-9db9-20787970b71c

I haven't gone to a movie theater in months. But that's because there's no good movies that I want to see. The reason I stay away from stadiums is because of all the alcohol-induced rowdiness.......

And I don't have the money for tickets -_-

I heard the Dodgers fans were latino. Not bringing up race in this, but maybe those two could've been trouble from the start [gang]*. Either way they should be locked up in prison when caught and the key thrown away. Friggin animals..

*what's with these news reports when they don't even mention what the attackers' race are? How can people catch someone when they have no idea what they look like? I mean if it was a white guy beating up a black guy, I'm sure that would be mentioned or something.

An update on the new 'security' at Dodger Stadium effective immedaetly.

Dodgers institute zero-tolerance policy in wake of beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow

By Nina Mandell

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, April 9th 2011

"Los Angeles officials have a message for rabble-rousers at Dodgers' games: Stay away.

After a Giants fan was severely beaten by two Dodgers fans last week, officials announced on Friday that they would be enforcing a "zero tolerance" crackdown at the stadium, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.

"If you're coming to Dodger Stadium to cause problem, I advise you to stay home," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told reporters.

DODGERS HIRE EX-NYC POLICE COMMISH TO ASSESS STADIUM SECURITY

The team is also beefing up security after being slammed for taking the violent incident too lightly and even continuing half-priced beer sales at certain day games. Part team owner Frank McCourt reaffirmed his promise to increase efforts to keep the stadium violence-free.

On Saturday, the team also said it was reconsidering the beer specials after a report alleged alcohol played a role in the incident.

"We are going to provide a safe, family friendly environment at Dodger stadium," he said. "I promise you that."

While much of the stadium's additional security will be provided by LAPD officers, the bill will be footed by the Dodgers, the Times said.

Meanwhile, police haven't forgotten about the two men who started the security push at Dodgers' Stadium. The award for information leading to their arrest grew to $150,000 on Friday and Villaraigosa urged the perpetrators to turn themselves in.

"What you did was wrong," he said. "It was despicable and senseless, unprovoked. But, make it a little better, by coming forward, by doing what will be looked at in hindsight as doing the civil, right thing when you've done wrong."

The Dodgers' woes began on Opening Day when a man in Giants gear, later identified as Bryan Stow, was brutally attacked in the parking lot after the game. As of Wednesday, he was reported to be in critical condition with brain damage."

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8061595

"DODGERS HIRE EX-NYC POLICE COMMISH TO ASSESS STADIUM SECURITY"

Is that William Bratton? Why not go all out and hire Guiliani's security firm...

Yes sir. Former NYPD and LAPD Police Chief Bratton is the head of that firm looking to improving security at Dodger Stadium and other ballparks across America.

• 1 month later...
Great news. the jerks woops i mean suspects has been caught. That beating that nearly killed that Giants in that awful Dodger Stadium incident on opening day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/22/2011-05-22_suspect_arrested_in_beating_of_san_francisco_giants_fan_bryan_stowe_report.html

Good. The bitc...I mean ass......I mean IT has gotten caught.

If not for the sketches, you'd never know the race of the a-holes. Again not being a racist, but it would help get the word out if the news outlets mentioned the race of the perp [~latino]. 'A man' is way too vague and f--king pc.

Nope concourse you right. By the way this jerk caught tonight is a 31-year old who was out on parole and never should been released. Most recently was in jail for armed robbery. What a joke of a justice system that Calif. has. As much as NY has it's issues the suspect named Ramierz would likely never be out on a parole.:mad::tdown:

My prayers to Brain Stow.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/05/suspect-dodger-stadium-bryan-stow-beating-new-tattoos.html

Archived