Whose Hiring?

Jonesy

I believe Hart in Tampa,FL is hiring. Starting pay was like $11.90, $20/hr after 8 yrs...

Wow $20/hr after 8 years.... that kinda sucks/ But I guess cost of living being much less in tampa, that that's a pretty good salary to make, about 42K/yr.

:cool:

8 years to reach top pay? That sucks. I guess that's what happens when your in a right to work state like Florida with weak labor unions.

That is damn true guys, I work for HART & been working without contract since Oct, 2010 and working under old contract now. Top Pay not going to get a raise like for 2 or 3 years from now. Also we don't have Union President because she got fired last month and going to have new Union President by June. Reach 8 years top pay is a long way & yes everyone made good money plus overtime. That why we only pay SSI, Federal and Medcial Taxes, Plus deductions. BTW our ATU union are weak and they don't do nothing for us.

David:cool:

Wow $20/hr after 8 years.... that kinda sucks/ But I guess cost of living being much less in tampa, that that's a pretty good salary to make, about 42K/yr.

YES!! it suck to reach after 8 years but they work alot of overtime and make good salary between $35k to $60K or more.

YES!! it suck to reach after 8 years but they work alot of overtime and make good salary between $35k to $60K or more.

Yeah but to have to work that much OT has got to be hard on your body. I can make 60K in my sleep right now, cause that's about my base pay, not trying to be funny or anything, just saying. But hopefully you guys get a better contract and better representation in the future.

Yeah well that's the nature of being a station agent, for a lot of the work day you can just take it easy. It's never too complicated unless you're working time square, some other huge station or someone tosses a stick of dynamite in the subway. Actually you wouldn't have to worry about that either since you're not too far from the surface. Now a B/O, when I enter a bus and notice the look on their face that says "**** you I don't wanna hear it", I can understand them.

Yeah well that's the nature of being a station agent, for a lot of the work day you can just take it easy. It's never too complicated unless you're working time square, some other huge station or someone tosses a stick of dynamite in the subway. Actually you wouldn't have to worry about that either since you're not too far from the surface. Now a B/O, when I enter a bus and notice the look on their face that says "**** you I don't wanna hear it", I can understand them.

No, you've got it really wrong dude. Me saying I can do 60K in my sleep had nothing to do with the job being easy. I was just implying that with what I get paid I can pull 60K w/o doing OT at all. By no means can you take it easy with my job, the same NYC scum bags that B/O's have to deal with I do as well, in the same capacity. I will not get into everything I must deal with on a daily basis, but it's much more than just making metrocards that goes on in a typical subway station. And there are other jobs you do as a S/A than be locked in the Fish Tank all day long.

Oh I know, I really was actually stating that SA's have a fabulous gig. It pays well and although it can have it's caveats like any job that requires responsibility, it's still pretty sweet. For a short while, I once worked security at an undisclosed downtown Manhattan government building. Very stressful post. It was as if not a single soul whether or not they worked at the building knew the drill. My co-workers almost always assumed an unprofessional condescending piece of shit attitude with just about anyone that walked in (think DMV), you know like they though they were smarter than everyone they saw. And I knew exactly why, they had their reasons.

I decided to take a different approach than all the other security guards. With a friendly and respectful attitude I simply assumed to myself that every single visitor was clueless about the procedures and everything then turned out perfectly for me aside from your occasional oddball and god knows we had them. Mind you however, my co-workers then pretty much labeled me an ass-kisser for being a human being at $11.75 an hour with a HOST of other separate duties we needed to tend to all over the building. Do note, that if they paid me 60k a year without OT and all the benefits I can handle, that would have been the sweetest gig ever. Did I mention that most of our visitors actually came in with a legitimate reason to want to strangle someone and hang em by the balls??

I'm not a dense person. I do recognize however that after a few years of being stuck in the subway without ample lighting and not experiencing the type of straight up nonsense that a lot of people on the outside go through in order to make 60k, a NYC station agent or a conductor might actually begin to think that their job is tough as nails, almost comical. I'd trade my current job for SA any day of the week without even giving a two week's notice, for B/O however?? I'd have to think long and hard about that. Actually no I wouldn't.

Oh I know, I really was actually stating that SA's have a fabulous gig. It pays well and although it can have it's caveats like any job that requires responsibility, it's still pretty sweet. For a short while, I once worked security at an undisclosed downtown Manhattan government building. Very stressful post. It was as if not a single soul whether or not they worked at the building knew the drill. My co-workers almost always assumed an unprofessional condescending piece of shit attitude with just about anyone that walked in (think DMV), you know like they though they were smarter than everyone they saw. And I knew exactly why, they had their reasons.

I decided to take a different approach than all the other security guards. With a friendly and respectful attitude I simply assumed to myself that every single visitor was clueless about the procedures and everything then turned out perfectly for me aside from your occasional oddball and god knows we had them. Mind you however, my co-workers then pretty much labeled me an ass-kisser for being a human being at $11.75 an hour with a HOST of other separate duties we needed to tend to all over the building. Do note, that if they paid me 60k a year without OT and all the benefits I can handle, that would have been the sweetest gig ever. Did I mention that most of our visitors actually came in with a legitimate reason to want to strangle someone and hang em by the balls??

I'm not a dense person. I do recognize however that after a few years of being stuck in the subway without ample lighting and not experiencing the type of straight up nonsense that a lot of people on the outside go through in order to make 60k, a NYC station agent or a conductor might actually begin to think that their job is tough as nails, almost comical. I'd trade my current job for SA any day of the week without even giving a two week's notice, for B/O however?? I'd have to think long and hard about that. Actually no I wouldn't.

It's not just dealing with the people that makes the job hard, it's dealing with management, and the being responsible for everything in the booth. And being accountable for every single dollar in that booth. I've done jobs dealing with money before and they would give you some kinda lead way with shortages, usually $10 was the maximum before you had to come out of pocket. Transit doesn't care if it's $1, they want it back. Working under that kinda of pressure is not easy. And we also deal with a lot co-workers that steal. There was an incident which happened 2 years ago when this guy robbed the agent he was relieving of her revenue bag which was $10,000. And then also the year before that there was a woman a former employee who was posing as people's relief and stealing money out the booth. She would say she had to go to the restroom after she stole a sizable amount from you. When I used to work security I would see the S/A in the booth and thought the job was easy, after my first day on the job I retracted that statement. We're compensated well for the job I'll admit that, but dealing with these people day in and day takes a toll on you. When I was laid I didn't miss the job one bit, I only missed the pay and benefits. But B/O's do have it worst than S/A's in the fact that they have no protection from being assaulted, which is one reason I couldn't do their job.

B/O assaults are rare. Most of the time they happen because the B/O wants to be a hero and confront fare beaters. The overwhelming majority of B/Os will not be assualted in their jobs. Yeah, you might get spit at or have juice thrown at you, but it is very rare for a B/O to be seriously assaulted where you need to be rushed to the hospital.

B/O assaults are rare. Most of the time they happen because the B/O wants to be a hero and confront fare beaters. The overwhelming majority of B/Os will not be assualted in their jobs. Yeah, you might get spit at or have juice thrown at you, but it is very rare for a B/O to be seriously assaulted where you need to be rushed to the hospital.

This post is exactly why you get so much grief.How about the driver that was murdered in 2009 in Brooklyn.I know several drivers that have been slapped,punched,injured.Being a Train Operator is very easy compared to being a bus driver.I had touse the bus along the J line this weekend to get to my J job at essex St and I hated it,I could not even begin to imagine being a driver.

Andrew don't even bother with him when it comes to stuff like this. This guy has never been a TA employee, yet he thinks he knows what all of our jobs involve. I've already washed my hands with him when it comes to this stuff. People listen up if you have transit career questions get the answers from TA employees only.

Well I work for connecticut transit and theirs a couple of drivers in my bus depot in stamford that got punch slap ect. We even had a driver that got hot coffee thrown at his face so I know mta have the same issues. Soon to be with mta this year.

There are far more dangeours jobs in NYC than B/O. Track worker. Firefighter. Police officer. Correction officer. The last MTA B/O to be killed on the job was in 2008. So we had 2 full years without any major incidents. A B/O is more likely to be killed or seriously injured in a vheicle accident than by a psssenger. If you want to argue that being a B/O is dangerous because of seriosus accidents, then I would agree. But saying ti si a dangeorus job absed on seriosu assaults is stretching the truth.

ANd for the record, I am not saying that B/Os are not assaulted. I am just saying that it is a very safe job compared to many other jobs, like the ones I listed above.

There are far more dangeours jobs in NYC than B/O. Track worker. Firefighter. Police officer. Correction officer. The last MTA B/O to be killed on the job was in 2008. So we had 2 full years without any major incidents. A B/O is more likely to be killed or seriously injured in a vheicle accident than by a psssenger. If you want to argue that being a B/O is dangerous because of seriosus accidents, then I would agree. But saying ti si a dangeorus job absed on seriosu assaults is stretching the truth.

ANd for the record, I am not saying that B/Os are not assaulted. I am just saying that it is a very safe job compared to many other jobs, like the ones I listed above.

Just leave it alone Andrew, you'll just end up talking in circles.

I'm starting to wonder whether some people here disagree with me just for the sake of disagreement. It sure seems that way.

Top 10 Most dangerous jobs in America;

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/

Bus operator is not on the list, but truck drivers did make it. You would think truck drivers are safer since they can't be assaulted by passengers.

I'm starting to wonder whether some people here disagree with me just for the sake of disagreement. It sure seems that way.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/

Bus operator is not on the list, but truck drivers did make it. You would think truck drivers are safer since they can't be assaulted by passengers.

Don

Donald you do realize that Andrew never said anything about how dangerous the job of a B/O was right? He simply said that they get assaulted far more than you made it seem. And mentioned the driver that was murdered a couple of years ago. Not once was danger said in his post. But you took it upon yourself to bring that up and post a link with stats that have nothing to do with this topic. And this is the main reason people give you so much grief here. You come on these forums and give inaccurate information and assume things you have no idea about. And when someone tries to correct you, you fight tooth and nail with them to try and get your point across. Even when your wrong. And you totally blow things out of proportion, much like you did with this last post. Why do you think so many of your threads have been closed once you started to disagree with someone?.

Thanks Will,but Donald can present all the stats he wants.When he becomes a conductor and he is punched in the head with a nail by a deranged pyscho at Continental Ave,I will show him the stats that that is one of the SAFEST stations in the entire system and that stuff CANNOT possibly happen.

Archived