President Obama Stands Defiant to GOP's Proposed Cuts

MHV9218

You wanna solve the budget crisis here's what you do:

-End all subsidies to foreign governments. If they want US funding to improve their country they'd better apply for it and be very clear about what they're going to do with it.

-End all programs that benefit illegal immigrants. If you are here illegally, you do not get healthcare, you cannot operate a car, and if you are caught you are deported and the bill for your transportation is sent to your native country. Create a path to citizenship that involves #1) being here in the country legally and maintaining a permanent residence here for 8 years, otherwise no citizenship... or #2) five years of military service to the United States Army, Navy, or Air Force with honorary discharge upon successful completion.

-End all corporate welfare

-Regular welfare ends after 18 months. Then it becomes workfare.

-All of Congress takes a 25% pay cut.

-Get rid of employer based healthcare entirely. Mandate raises across the board based on previous year health costs for all employees. Employees are free to purchase healthcare on their own like car insurance, but it is not required. Allow the sale of insurance across state lines to create true competition among insurers. This also effectively ends the administrative headache that is COBRA.

-End tax deductions for wages paid to foreign nationals or in foreign currency. This is not a US tax deductible expense. End tax deductions for corps paying salaries over $5,000,000 a year. Ban the use of financial instruments as compensation. All employment compensation must be paid in money.

-Raise income taxes on high earners while simultaneously lowering corporate income taxes for businesses. Coupled with above, this creates a tax environment suitable to hiring Americans here and discourages corps from paying executives big salaries by taxing them (but not the company - unless they really pay them a lot).

-Wealth tax. 75% of all inherited wealth over 2 million dollars is taxed. Inherited real estate can be kept, but the wealth tax kicks in whenever it is sold. Wealth should be earned, not inherited. Just because mommy or daddy were rich and kicked the bucket doesn't mean junior deserves a dime. Junior should have to work for his position in life too. Use that money to reduce the deficit and maintain education, law enforcement, fire, and infrastructure.

-Pay down the US debt specifically to China, then tell Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao to go f*** themselves.

-Support the growth of the manufacturing industry back into the US with temporary tax credits for startups that hire Americans.

-Limit the speculation on oil that drives up gas pump prices by close to $1/gallon.

-Harsh penalties (primarily financial, but up to and including the death penalty) for fraudsters and banksters who commit the "nonviolent" but life altering crimes that rob people's livelihoods. Investigate the 2008/09 financial crisis fully and punish those who profited severely. Bring that money back to the taxpayers by recapturing it.

-End the federal reserve. The US Treasury resumes producing US currency, as it is chartered to do in the Constitution. Therefore no public interest is paid to service a private bank's issuance of America's own money.

-Encourage the formation of a third political party as a serious threat to the other two. Keeps them honest and ends the partisanship that prevents anything from being done.

In other words, all of the things that won't happen because the people in power don't want it to happen...are the things that need to happen.

And the reason we are up s***'s creek is these things won't happen. The entire political system needs a GOH and the politicians are happy to just change light bulbs.

-End all subsidies to foreign governments. If they want US funding to improve their country they'd better apply for it and be very clear about what they're going to do with it.

-End all programs that benefit illegal immigrants. If you are here illegally, you do not get healthcare, you cannot operate a car, and if you are caught you are deported and the bill for your transportation is sent to your native country. Create a path to citizenship that involves #1) being here in the country legally and maintaining a permanent residence here for 8 years, otherwise no citizenship... or #2) five years of military service to the United States Army, Navy, or Air Force with honorary discharge upon successful completion.

-Get rid of employer based healthcare entirely. Mandate raises across the board based on previous year health costs for all employees. Employees are free to purchase healthcare on their own like car insurance, but it is not required. Allow the sale of insurance across state lines to create true competition among insurers. This also effectively ends the administrative headache that is COBRA.

-End tax deductions for wages paid to foreign nationals or in foreign currency. This is not a US tax deductible expense. End tax deductions for corps paying salaries over $5,000,000 a year. Ban the use of financial instruments as compensation. All employment compensation must be paid in money.

-Raise income taxes on high earners while simultaneously lowering corporate income taxes for businesses. Coupled with above, this creates a tax environment suitable to hiring Americans here and discourages corps from paying executives big salaries by taxing them (but not the company - unless they really pay them a lot).

-Wealth tax. 75% of all inherited wealth over 2 million dollars is taxed. Inherited real estate can be kept, but the wealth tax kicks in whenever it is sold. Wealth should be earned, not inherited. Just because mommy or daddy were rich and kicked the bucket doesn't mean junior deserves a dime. Junior should have to work for his position in life too. Use that money to reduce the deficit and maintain education, law enforcement, fire, and infrastructure.

-Pay down the US debt specifically to China, then tell Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao to go f*** themselves.

-Support the growth of the manufacturing industry back into the US with temporary tax credits for startups that hire Americans.

-Limit the speculation on oil that drives up gas pump prices by close to $1/gallon.

-Harsh penalties (primarily financial, but up to and including the death penalty) for fraudsters and banksters who commit the "nonviolent" but life altering crimes that rob people's livelihoods. Investigate the 2008/09 financial crisis fully and punish those who profited severely. Bring that money back to the taxpayers by recapturing it.

-End the federal reserve. The US Treasury resumes producing US currency, as it is chartered to do in the Constitution. Therefore no public interest is paid to service a private bank's issuance of America's own money.

-Encourage the formation of a third political party as a serious threat to the other two. Keeps them honest and ends the partisanship that prevents anything from being done.

In other words, all of the things that won't happen because the people in power don't want it to happen...are the things that need to happen.

And the reason we are up s***'s creek is these things won't happen. The entire political system needs a GOH and the politicians are happy to just change light bulbs.

Most of the stuff you're talking about isn't a real problem, and would create problems if your ideas were put into practice.

I agree though that we need some sane people putting their necks out and making choices and getting things done that may not be popular, but work and accomplish the goals without getting into ideology. Especially with lower paychecks for the elected people who basically have everything paid for them all ready.

I've reviewed obama's budget, and i feel it's a great first step that will lead into more reforms over time that make the county's financial situation stable and healthy vs whacked out & on the verge of real crisis. Combined with the affordable care act, this budget is really exactly what we need right now.

- A

Most of the stuff you're talking about isn't a real problem, and would create problems if your ideas were put into practice.

I agree though that we need some sane people putting their necks out and making choices and getting things done that may not be popular, but work and accomplish the goals without getting into ideology. Especially with lower paychecks for the elected people who basically have everything paid for them all ready.

I've reviewed obama's budget, and i feel it's a great first step that will lead into more reforms over time that make the county's financial situation stable and healthy vs whacked out & on the verge of real crisis. Combined with the affordable care act, this budget is really exactly what we need right now.

- A

You mean if he actually goes through with it, right? :P

Don't think of me as trying to bash your opinion. But I really have zero faith in government right now. I don't feel like SubwayGuy's ideas are all that bad (if they're even bad at all).

As usual, I tend to agree with most of SubwayGuy's political views, but I also have to agree with Metsfan on a couple points.

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed to a certain extent. The bailouts of GM and Chrysler for example proved to be successful, and the government is actually making money off those transactions.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this one. There needs to be some sort of program that helps people get off welfare. 18 months as a cap will only drive many people who actually do want to work into the poverty class.

Agreed

Debatable. Some employer health care programs rival the competition.

Agreed

Agreed 200%

Agreed to a certain extent. As far as the inheritance goes, I don't agree with that. Yes, I want my children to grow up to be responsible money managers, but they aren't going to want or need for anything. That should be my choice, not the governments.

Agree, but there needs to be more incentives than just that. They should also be encouraged to source parts from US based companies that manufacture their parts here in the country.

Limiting speculation on something that's traded publicly will NEVER happen. No way to get around that one.

Agreed

Debatable

There is the Green Party, and the Independent Party, but the Republican and Democratic Parties will rule all for the foreseeable future. No way to get around that one either. Most people are partial to partisanship.

As usual, I tend to agree with most of SubwayGuy's political views, but I also have to agree with Metsfan on a couple points.

In that case I will clarify where you've raised issues:

Agreed to a certain extent. The bailouts of GM and Chrysler for example proved to be successful, and the government is actually making money off those transactions.

True, but gov's role is not to invest and own private corporations, nor is it to pick "winners" and "losers". I agree with the bailouts of the auto companies for one reason alone - they kept production jobs in the US - but bailouts are not a long term solution to keep jobs here. I do not agree in anyway with banking bailouts. Gov's role is to be a referee and enforce fair compensation and worker's rights, not invest in businesses and pick winners and losers.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this one. There needs to be some sort of program that helps people get off welfare. 18 months as a cap will only drive many people who actually do want to work into the poverty class.

Right now welfare requirements are fairly lax and require employment within 24 months but there are ways around it. This is a step towards reducing dependence on welfare. I agree that more would need to be done, but it starts with lowering the time someone is eligible for welfare. People that refuse to help themselves and the clock runs out deserve to be left on their own. Social programs are a helping hand, not a lifeline.

Debatable. Some employer health care programs rival the competition.

This is true, but the real cost of these programs includes the amount the employer pays which you are never told about. Why the unnecessary secrecy? Give everyone a raise and allow them to pick their coverage from all of the available plans in the nation. Employer provided healthcare limits competition and encourages insurers to monkey with prices.

Example #1: Healthcare Company A offers coverage for $350 / month. Another (HC Company :P offers the same coverage for $300. In a truly free market, most people would choose Company B because they are getting the same service for less money.

Example #2: With employer provided health coverage, let's suppose an Employee has to choose plans. Company A's plan is offered by his company but Company B's is not. He must pay $150 / month for Company A's plan, while his Employer pays the other $200. He will choose the more expensive Company A coverage every time. And when Company A raises their price to $400 / month, and his share of the premium increases to $175 / month, he will continue to stay with the more expensive Company A plan. Meanwhile, if the employer wasn't in the equation, he would have never chosen Company A to begin with. They never would have had a chance to raise their prices. They would have either had to lower them, or they would have gone out of business a long time ago. This absolutely cannot be stated enough: There is not much of a choice here. An employee who opts out of employer provided coverage under Company A (to purchase Company B coverage) currently receives NO PAY INCREASE even though his company doesn't have to pay his healthcare costs. Not only that he must meet the higher (to him) full premium cost required by the Company B plan, since his employer no longer pays anything. This kills competition and leads to higher prices.

What I am suggesting is mandating the Employer give the employee a $200 / month raise (reflecting employer's healthcare costs). Then the employer is no longer required to provide care, and the employee is free to choose the coverage he/she wants.

Agreed to a certain extent. As far as the inheritance goes, I don't agree with that. Yes, I want my children to grow up to be responsible money managers, but they aren't going to want or need for anything. That should be my choice, not the governments.

And 2 million dollars is a perfectly reasonable amount to inherit tax free (the maximum untaxed amount I'm suggesting). How much do people need? For 2 million dollars, most people would not have to want for a thing. I will add that this number needs to be Indexed to inflation so that it doesn't become outdated like most tax numbers.

In other words, the first 2 million are inherited free. Everything after that is taxed federally at 75%. So if someone inherits 12 million, they keep 2 million tax free, then they pay $7.5M in taxes, and keep another $2.5M after taxes. Total inheritance $4.5M. Plenty of live comfortably.

Currently, they keep 65% of everything over $5M, and the first $5M is tax free. That's an outrage. No one should get that much just because their parents were rich.

Agree, but there needs to be more incentives than just that. They should also be encouraged to source parts from US based companies that manufacture their parts here in the country.

Agreed. But care must be taken to avoid creating loopholes.

Limiting speculation on something that's traded publicly will NEVER happen. No way to get around that one.

It's not likely to happen, but anything can happen. Simple as banning the re-sale of derivative instruments tied to energy. One sale only.

Debatable

The Federal Reserve is a joke. It's investors are all of the largest banks and foreigners. This is who our country is run to benefit. The idea of a central bank has never worked in this country. The First Bank of the US, and the Second Bank of the US both failed and now the Federal Reserve is following suit. Look at how they've handle this crisis...by lowering interest rates to record lows to encourage more bank lending - more debt - aka what caused the crisis in the first place. Meanwhile who gets punished? The savers...the people who didn't go into debt...because now their accounts pay them the lowest interest rates in the last 60+ years. Plus why should Americans pay taxes to service interest on money printed FOR THE US? Interest should be paid on real debt, not debt to a private "federal" bank that is providing a service a department of government was charted to do.

This would be every bit as outrageous as privatizing social security and allowing the trustee to collect a "management fee".

On another note, SS should continue to exist, but government must be forbidden from touching it. It is a perfectly viable self sufficient plan provided government doesn't touch it and use it for other purposes.

There is the Green Party, and the Independent Party, but the Republican and Democratic Parties will rule all for the foreseeable future. No way to get around that one either. Most people are partial to partisanship.

Neither is a serious threat. Independents a growing minority. They need to become affiliated as a middle of the road party which there is not one right now. That would force politicians to recognize them, if they are able to nominate candidates in an environment free of the extremism that dominates the two dog and pony parties.

We need statesmen, not politicians. A statesman would not get nominated by either political party. They nominate based on "what's good for the party" not "what's good for America." A viable third party has a shot to nominate candidates who can make a difference, and force the other two parties back towards the middle if they hope to remain relevant.

Archived