R32 in California scrapyard?

True. But if you restore the other middle platform at Chambers, you can have those relay trains end there and use the remaining outer platforms for the museum. Sure it's far away from Court, but I don't why you would bure them in Chambers? The abandoned platforms/tracks are still connected to the system, so they can easily move in and out.

And hey, better to have 2 seperate locations, then 1 location with space problems. And following my idea, Chambers has enough room for a 2nd location.

It's not better to have 2 separate locations. What do you tell people who pay admission at Brooklyn Heights? That they've traveled all the way there to see some of the trains and that if they want to see the rest they're going to have to spend another $4.50 and roughly 25 minutes of total travel time (not including more when there are G/O's) to see the rest of the exhibit? Talk about shoddy customer service. Not to mention, does this second museum have a gift shop? Staff? Security? Is museum admission sold there? If so, all of these will require staff. Now you've increased your payroll costs but you haven't really increased your revenue...bad move for any nonprofit. At minimum you need security and a manager so now you're talking big bucks for a manager to open and close the exhibits every day and money for security (and you will need security, otherwise those trains are just gonna get vandalized)

OK, so you block the outside tracks at Chambers with museum cars and have the middle two in service. Now the half out of service station doubling as a museum reeks and has never been renovated. Well, now you've also cut service because the trains can't go to Broad Street from the middle platforms that you've got them assigned to. Might as well just close Fulton Street and Broad Street then...yes weekday (J) riders will love that...

Not to mention this: on what basis are you assuming that it is "easy" to move these cars around? Railfan scenarios? Looking at track maps? It is NOT easy to schedule a museum train move at all. You need crew, which means you need money, you need their time, you need G/O's and every impact on running service, work trains, and other scheduled maintenance needs to be worked around FIRST. It is not so easy to shuffle trains from there to Court St. AT ALL. You'd have to send them through the tube to Brooklyn, relay in Brooklyn, come back up to West Fourth to access the IND, north to relay then return to Brooklyn once more to access the museum tracks. OR you could relay in Brooklyn on the Jamaica line, use the Chrystie Street cut, relay again on the IND and head to Brooklyn. Both of those moves take more time than you'd think. Add in the time to properly inspect the train prior to service, travel time (it's not as short as you might think), and waiting for towers to give lineups as well as ample time to properly store and layup the train in the proper place and you're looking at an all day affair just to move a few cars.

It won't work. Just because you and everyone else wants to see more trains saved and shown on exhibit does not change the reality of the logistical constraints that exist. Some half baked scenario with "two museums" is a non starter that's not going to fix anything. It's going to cause more problems then it's worth.

I didn't know which cars you were talking about. If you were saying the one in the last picture wasn't really a 32; I would say maybe it was a 30 with the fluting as nailed on sheets of metal.

But now, looking at it again, I see there are only two sets of windows, and three sets of doors, like an IRT car. Afterwards, it looks like a next car.

Since the window does not have a sign box, you would think then that it could be an R26-33 with the sign box covered over; except the window pair seems centered as it is. So I guess this one is a mockup.

Now the first one, it's hard to tell, since you're only seeing the end of it. It looks silver, but that could be silvery paint (more metallic than the paint TA used). You can see the rivets in it like the carbon steel cars.

My hypothesis:

Its an R30, one of the ones sent to LA for use in movies. Made to look like an R32, they plated over the sides with corrigated metal. Also, they replaced the front sign and covered over the local express signs. R30 doors and windows are still visible here. In the scrapyard view, they've since pulled off the R32 plating, and apparently used an easily rusted material to cover over the local/express signs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I found a photo at nycsubway.org that is quite similar to this...http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?21935Although it's been cut in half (obviously for scrap), why would it be down in a movie studio? The number is 8275, and the picture was taken in 1999.

I think it's one of the sets that was featured in the Die Hard movies.

Archived