Again with the rerouting of the (D) via 8 Av/Culver Local

Luis1985

i was on my way home from work and thank god im finally here. i was waiting for the (Q) train at 34 St-Herald Sq when i heard this announcement:

"Due to a broken rail at the 59 St-Columbus Circle Station, all downtown (D) trains are running on the (A) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle, Manhattan to Jay St-Metro Tech, Brooklyn, then on the (F) line from Jay St-Metro Tech, Brooklyn to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn.

As an alternative, for service on the (D) line in Brooklyn, take the Coney Island-bound (N) train instead."

i hope they fix it by the morning.

i was on my way home from work and thank god im finally here. i was waiting for the (Q) train at 34 St-Herald Sq when i heard this announcement:

"Due to a broken rail at the 59 St-Columbus Circle Station, all downtown (D) trains are running on the (A) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle, Manhattan to Jay St-Metro Tech, Brooklyn, then on the (F) line from Jay St-Metro Tech, Brooklyn to Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn.

As an alternative, for service on the (D) line in Brooklyn, take the Coney Island-bound (N) train instead."

i hope they fix it by the morning.

Its over already.But yeah a broken rail causes all of this.They need to build a switch to let 8th ave trains go via the bridge after W 4th st.

Its over already.But yeah a broken rail causes all of this.They need to build a switch to let 8th ave trains go via the bridge after W 4th st.

Just north of Bway-Lafayette 1/3 tks the perfect spot, just like there's a switch from 2/4tks going the other way.

Just north of Bway-Lafayette 1/3 tks the perfect spot, just like there's a switch from 2/4tks going the other way.

That needs to be done anyway because it would eliminate the split (D) service that sometimes happens on G.O.'s and also would when necessary allow for 8th Avenue line trains to run via the Manhattan Bridge.

There seems to be something inbetween the tracks there. There are two rows of columns, and the corrugated metal filling it. Space like that generally used to be hollow (and blocked off to keep the homeless out), but I'm not sure what's there. Still, whenever I send in suggestions similar to this that would require removal of columns, which also adds tunnel structure reinforcement (the load bearing of all those columns has to be replaced), they say it is not cost effective.

To put the switch back where it used to be, south of the station, it looks like the grade of the ramp added leading to Grand St. begins too soon.

There seems to be something inbetween the tracks there. There are two rows of columns, and the corrugated metal filling it. Space like that generally used to be hollow (and blocked off to keep the homeless out), but I'm not sure what's there. Still, whenever I send in suggestions similar to this that would require removal of columns, which also adds tunnel structure reinforcement (the load bearing of all those columns has to be replaced), they say it is not cost effective.

To put the switch back where it used to be, south of the station, it looks like the grade of the ramp added leading to Grand St. begins too soon.

There is no way they would add a switch. This is the same TA that looks to take out any switch they can.

That courraged area south of Bway-Lafayette was for trains comming from the cut to have an option of going local or express comming into Bway-Lafayette. But the reconfigured it some time ago to make trains from the cut only go local into Bway-Lafayette, then have the option of going express north of the station using the diamond crossover

That courraged area south of Bway-Lafayette was for trains comming from the cut to have an option of going local or express comming into Bway-Lafayette. But the reconfigured it some time ago to make trains from the cut only go local into Bway-Lafayette, then have the option of going express north of the station using the diamond crossover

We was talking about between West 4th and Bway-Laf, just before Bway-Laf going south, not the area of track coming down from the cut where all 3 tracks are running almost side by side.

Yeah there are areas where switches have been taken out. Between Brooklyn Bridge and Fulton in the IRT is one famous spot, 1 track used to feed back into 2 track right where the columns end and that room-looking structure is there (If said switch still existed, (6) trans can continue on south without merging with the (4)(5) until just north of Fulton instead of just north of Brooklyn Bridge like they do today). The modification is also on the tower board, a black plate over the area. There are also plates of course just south of Grand Central for obvious reasons. Another IRT spot I know about (and actually saw) was at Freeman St on the WPR line. That switch was removed and the tower boarded up. The home signal is still there, of course. There used to be GOs few years ago where (2)(5) trains can go express or local after Freeman st, skipping or stopping at 174 and West Farms. Now everything is hard railed from north of Jackson to north of East 180th.

Really? Are there any major switches taken out now that I would recognize off the bat? (Serious question)

Not any major ones that I can think of right now, but I know people who have had to say "hey, you can't take that out, we use that". It's what happens when you have a system run by bean counters.

Archived