New Flyer D60HF, my expierence.

MattTrain

New Flyer D60HF.

These are the articulated buses only running for (NYCT) New York City Transit. They only run on Manhattan and Bronx. This makes sense to complement the IRT Lexington Avenue Line (4)(5)(6) (6x) because of the lines' crowdedness. They make crosstown buses look better, and give people more options of crosstown travel, as well as major avenues.

800px-New_Flyer_D60HF_-5557.jpg

This is the bus I'm talking about, taken from Wikipedia.com

Great for Manhattan and the Bronx, but not good anywhere else due to the turns and the road conditions that most Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island buses go.

The first ride on them, M101. I felt like the bus when bending was going to break into half. No seriously, that was scary:eek: Good thing they didn't. I really didn't know that articulated buses existed.

Articulated buses such as the New Flyer D60HF are great but manuvering these require special attention and good driving, because accidents, especially the back portion of the bus can be hazardous to other automobiles.

I really don't know how these drivers can drive these with so much traffic with them. New Flyer D60HF's are making their way to reliability.

Man, those artics are great, sound fabulous too. The MTA have let a few, just a few artics go, because two artics I rode while the (7) had that G.O. back in January, they rode like crap. But other than that, those artics are great. Put suburban seating in it and you got yourself a bus man!

New Flyer D60HF.

These are the articulated buses only running for (NYCT) New York City Transit. They only run on Manhattan and Bronx. This makes sense to complement the IRT Lexington Avenue Line (4)(5)(6) (6x) because of the lines' crowdedness. They make crosstown buses look better, and give people more options of crosstown travel, as well as major avenues.

800px-New_Flyer_D60HF_-5557.jpg

This is the bus I'm talking about, taken from Wikipedia.com

Great for Manhattan and the Bronx, but not good anywhere else due to the turns and the road conditions that most Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island buses go.

The first ride on them, M101. I felt like the bus when bending was going to break into half. No seriously, that was scary:eek: Good thing they didn't. I really didn't know that articulated buses existed.

Articulated buses such as the New Flyer D60HF are great but manuvering these require special attention and good driving, because accidents, especially the back portion of the bus can be hazardous to other automobiles.

I really don't know how these drivers can drive these with so much traffic with them. New Flyer D60HF's are making their way to reliability.

NYCTA New Flyer D60HF are highly unreliable buses. Even the new ones. All it takes is some heat, and they will drop like flies. West farms has all 2003 models. When that heat came last year, the Bx19 had quite a few 40fters on it, due to so many artics being down and out. I mainly drove those, and still get them on the M100 occasionally. Had one yesterday. Slugs they are. They are heavy as heck, and make alot of noise on when hitting potholes and cracks. Drivers are 20% more likely to have an accident with those buses. I mainly drove those, since I've been at MTA. The only 40 ft line I've ever picked on is the M100 (2X), and the Bx6 (1X for 1 month) before going back to an articulated line). As for in Brooklyn and Queens, there are two types of articulated buses. NJT, Bee-Line, and NYCTA has pusher type (aka rear wheel drive) articulated buses. These things turn like a tractor trailer. Bee-Line and NJT use to have pulley type articulated buses (Volvos and MAN). These buses could make a tighter turn, since the drive wheels were the middle wheels, and the rear wheel turned the opposite direction of what you turn (like the hook and ladder fire trucks).......This is what NYCTA needs to get. They did test a Van-Hool AG300, which is this type of bus. They borrowed it from AC Transit............

AG300.jpg

Man, those artics are great, sound fabulous too. The MTA have let a few, just a few artics go, because two artics I rode while the (7) had that G.O. back in January, they rode like crap. But other than that, those artics are great. Put suburban seating in it and you got yourself a bus man!

The majority of the old ones (1000's, 5200's-early5500's) ride like crap, when the A/C is on. When off depending on the depot, most can take off. KB isn't one of those. They are slow with A/C off on most of them. Heck we even have some 5600's and 5700's that are slugs.

Bee-Line Neoplans kick ass......

NYCTA New Flyer D60HF are highly unreliable buses. Even the new ones. All it takes is some heat, and they will drop like flies. West farms has all 2003 models. When that heat came last year, the Bx19 had quite a few 40fters on it, due to so many artics being down and out. I mainly drove those, and still get them on the M100 occasionally. Had one yesterday. Slugs they are. They are heavy as heck, and make alot of noise on when hitting potholes and cracks. Drivers are 20% more likely to have an accident with those buses. I mainly drove those, since I've been at MTA. The only 40 ft line I've ever picked on is the M100 (2X), and the Bx6 (1X for 1 month) before going back to an articulated line). As for in Brooklyn and Queens, there are two types of articulated buses. NJT, Bee-Line, and NYCTA has pusher type (aka rear wheel drive) articulated buses. These things turn like a tractor trailer. Bee-Line and NJT use to have pulley type articulated buses (Volvos and MAN). These buses could make a tighter turn, since the drive wheels were the middle wheels, and the rear wheel turned the opposite direction of what you turn (like the hook and ladder fire trucks).......This is what NYCTA needs to get. They did test a Van-Hool AG300, which is this type of bus. They borrowed it from AC Transit............

You lost me when you said as for Queens and Brooklyn there are too types of artics.......

You lost me when you said as for Queens and Brooklyn there are too types of artics.......

There are two types of articulated buses. One is a pusher type (examples are the New Flyer, Neoplans, Mercedes Citaro G, and Nabi 60fters). On these models the C axle (rear wheels) are the drive wheels, and the engine is in the rear, as it is on a 40ft standard bus. These buses cost more, and have more moving parts in the joints.

The other type is a pulley type. These are what the old NJT Volvos, and old Bee-Line MAN buses were. These are tractor trailer type buses. The drive wheel is the B-axle (middle wheel), and the rear does not have dual sets of tires. The C axle have single tires on each side, that turn slightly the opposite of the direction you turn the bus. Turn right, the rear wheels turn slightly left. These type of artics can make tighter turns, than their pusher cousins. They are also cheaper to make, except some just like gouging companies (ie Van-Hool). Van-Hool AG300 is a current puller type bus. Here are some examples.........

Pusher set up and how it turns:

figure2.gif

figure4.gif

Pulley set up and how it turns:

figure1.gif

figure5.gif

Source: http://www.nabiusa.com/resource_page.cfm?res_id=11

AG300.jpg

The majority of the old ones (1000's, 5200's-early5500's) ride like crap, when the A/C is on. When off depending on the depot, most can take off. KB isn't one of those. They are slow with A/C off on most of them. Heck we even have some 5600's and 5700's that are slugs.

Oh wow, now I see, why they are unreliable. I was hoping to see some in Brooklyn, they can fit so much people, but now you tell me. I hope it's not that bad that the bus breaks in half.

Oh wow, now I see, why they are unreliable. I was hoping to see some in Brooklyn, they can fit so much people, but now you tell me. I hope it's not that bad that the bus breaks in half.

Articulated buses can hold 120 people. Never heard of one breaking in half, but take a curve to sharply and quickly, the bus will lock in an angle. Some drivers know how to get out of it....I do........

The artics suck im glad they don't run in brooklyn. I hope the MTA doesn't ruin by beloved B6 B41 and B44 by replacing the masterpiece RTS with these crappy POS buses. The only cool good about them is that bendy thing in the middle of the bus. Other than that they don't have much to offer.

Btw isnt the MTA replacing these buses with new artics soon?? They have been testing a lot of artics lately for some strange reason.......

The artics suck im glad they don't run in brooklyn. I hope the MTA doesn't ruin by beloved B6 B41 and B44 by replacing the masterpiece RTS with these crappy POS buses. The only cool good about them is that bendy thing in the middle of the bus. Other than that they don't have much to offer.

Btw isnt the MTA replacing these buses with new artics soon?? They have been testing a lot of artics lately for some strange reason.......

Yeah the TA wants buses now, and the Citaro won't be available until 2010/11, so It looks like NF D/DE60LF's soon. This thread explains a little about the MTA/New Flyer debackle.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27442#post27442

Articulated buses can hold 120 people. Never heard of one breaking in half, but take a curve to sharply and quickly, the bus will lock in an angle. Some drivers know how to get out of it....I do........

I need to meet you and ride on one of your runs now.

BTW Orion, I hope you put credit towards TTMG for that picture in the banner for your forum.....

BTW Orion, I hope you put credit towards TTMG for that picture in the banner for your forum.....
I didn't exactly credit TTMG but I did tell them that the logo is not from me, I'll fix that shortly. B)

Archived