Investigation into delayed new Metro North train cars

Harry

This is slap to the face for those who said the Silverliner V were worse. How the hell there gunna be only 60 M8s in service by 2012 when 44% of Silverliner V order will be in service. The M8s shouldn't never went to Kawasaki, they suck at commuter rail car. Have you seen those failures of bi-level they have running on MBTA, MARC and LIRR? MBTA is already retiring some of them when the Rotem cars come out and VRE did away with there in 2006 when they sold theirs to MARC. This order should went to either Bombardier or Rotem. Kawasaki can't build commuter cars for jack. They need to stick with subway cars.

This is slap to the face for those who said the Silverliner V were worse. How the hell there gunna be only 60 M8s in service by 2012 when 44% of Silverliner V order will be in service. The M8s shouldn't never went to Kawasaki, they suck at commuter rail car. Have you seen those failures of bi-level they have running on MBTA, MARC and LIRR? MBTA is already retiring some of them when the Rotem cars come out and VRE did away with there in 2006 when they sold theirs to MARC. This order should went to either Bombardier or Rotem. Kawasaki can't build commuter cars for jack. They need to stick with subway cars.

Do you know contracts are awarded? It goes to the LOWEST BIDDER. Kawasaki was a lock to get the contract considering that their base order bid came in at $120 million less than Bombardier and $180 million less with options exercised. There is also the simple fact that Kawasaki has facilities right in Yonkers, which makes everything from repairs to major service overhauls to parts procurement to joint efforts between MNR/CDOT and Kawasaki much easier to handle than had the contract been awarded to any other vendor. I don't think that Hyundai Rotem even submitted a bid. Siemens was never really a top competitor. Contracts aren't handed out to the "nicest guys." Contracts are awarded to whomever can build the most the fastest for least amount of money.

I believe its Bombardier and they are multi-levels not bi-levels!

Yes you are correct, the Bombs. And its sometimes called Bi-Levels even though its technically what you said. MLV.

Bombardier manufactured the MultiLevel Coach for NJT. The BiLevel is something else from Bombardier, not used by NJT.

The BiLevel's came out before Bombardier were making trains. GO Transit help design them in the 1970's and the 1st ones were made by Hawker Siddeley Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_Canada

Do you know contracts are awarded? It goes to the LOWEST BIDDER. Kawasaki was a lock to get the contract considering that their base order bid came in at $120 million less than Bombardier and $180 million less with options exercised. There is also the simple fact that Kawasaki has facilities right in Yonkers, which makes everything from repairs to major service overhauls to parts procurement to joint efforts between MNR/CDOT and Kawasaki much easier to handle than had the contract been awarded to any other vendor. I don't think that Hyundai Rotem even submitted a bid. Siemens was never really a top competitor. Contracts aren't handed out to the "nicest guys." Contracts are awarded to whomever can build the most the fastest for least amount of money.
I believe Kawasaki can do commuter cars,its whoever designed these cars is the question.Personally looking at a M8 car as beautiful as it appear,the first thought came to mind....They are overbuilt.They look extremely heavy and its part of the reason Metro North is working around the clock with replacing wooden ties with cement ties to handle the extra weight of the M8s and existing rolling stock throughout the CT portion of the NEC.

I believe Kawasaki can do commuter cars,its whoever designed these cars is the question.Personally looking at a M8 car as beautiful as it appear,the first thought came to mind....They are overbuilt.They look extremely heavy and its part of the reason Metro North is working around the clock with replacing wooden ties with cement ties to handle the extra weight of the M8s and existing rolling stock throughout the CT portion of the NEC.

Good point. Again with this project now at least 2 years behind schedule(i know new hi tech trains like this will have kinks to work out)someone at Kawaski should lose their job over this IMO.

Does anyone know if their penalties/late fees or lost monies if Kawasaki runs late after a date on this m-8 contract?

Metro-North is no longer procuring new concrete ties. I'm not entirely sure if there are concrete ties in stock that will be installed in order to exhaust the surplus, but apparently only wood ties will be used. A number of railroads received faulty concrete ties from several manufacturers within the past 15 years or so. For all purposes and intents, not only is concrete an inferior option for installation on Metro-North property, it's also overkill. So long as all track hardware is installed correctly and according to design, wood ties are less maintenance (they're generally periodically replaced), they're probably a little more tolerable to the climate on this region than concrete is due to the freeze/thaw effect, they're both easier and quicker to lay down, and they typically make turnout engineering and installation less meticulous.

Archived