History of the R68A

MattTrain

History of the R68A

The R68A cars are the Kawasaki Version of the R68's. They were delivered in 1988-1989. They are numbered (5001-5200)

First R68A train runs on the (D). They remain only on the (D) until 1995. During this time, it was decided that the R68A would no longer be stored primarily at the Concourse Yard in the Bronx. It would be stored in Coney Island in Brooklyn, primarily.

The (N) and (Q6) would get their share of the R68A's. The (D) is stripped of most of their R68A's at this time in July of 1995.

In April of 1997, the (B) would take most or all of the R68A's from the (Q6) in exchange of the R40 cars.

Reasons:

1. The r68A (Q6) and r68 (D) trains look almost like an orange "O" when far, which confused many commuters. Some people had trouble telling the difference between the (D) and (Q6) when the train was seen from a distance.

2. The R40 cars on the (:P were making a lot of screeching noise according to Bensonhurst and Borough Park complaints.

From 1997-2001, the R68A's are used mainly on the (;) and (N) with an occasional appearance on the (D) and (Q6)

In July 2001, the R68A's are transferred from the (;) to the (W) as part of the long Manhattan Bridge Rehabilitation project. The R68A's don't make an appereance on the (B) and (D) for three years.

The (Q6)'s share go to the (Q) and (Qx)

The (N) retains the R68As.

They are seen primarily on the (W)

In February 2004, all four Manhattan Bridge tracks are restored and R68A's run primarily on the (N) and (Q), with some appearances on the (B)(D) and (W)

As of today, May of 2008, the R68A's can be seen on the (B) increasingly, (D) very rarely, (N) occasionally since R160B's dominate that line, (Q) and (W) full time.

This is all I know, since I've seen these a lot, and I ride the (B)(Q) the most often.

It's also interesting to note that this is the only 75 foot car type never to be involved in a serious accident, such as a derailment.

The R68A has appeared once on the (A) and on the (F). I can't confirm this because I haven't see an R68A on the (A) and (F) lines, but somebody must have seen it.

About a year or two ago, a brooklyn bound (Q) train derailed near dekalb ave, halfway into its first switch track entering the Manny B Portal. I remember that cause I had to walk over to the crowded (D) train platform and (B), (Q) and downtown (N) service was suspended during the time, as well as the station workers there kept directing everyone away from Atlantic Ave (:P & (Q) Platform for those who wanted brooklyn bound service. Many (N) and (Q) trains were re-routed over the (R) line and (Q) trains ran on the (N) to Coney Island.

About a year or two ago, a brooklyn bound (Q) train derailed near dekalb ave, halfway into its first switch track entering the Manny B Portal. I remember that cause I had to walk over to the crowded (D) train platform and (B), (Q) and downtown (N) service was suspended during the time, as well as the station workers there kept directing everyone away from Atlantic Ave (B) & (Q) Platform for those who wanted brooklyn bound service. Many (N) and (Q) trains were re-routed over the (R) line and (Q) trains ran on the (N) to Coney Island.

Okay, question? Are all of the (B)(D)(N) and (Q) using R68A's at that time. It must have been a real mess.

I don't think the R68A ever ran on the (A) and (F) lines. There are pics of an R68A (F) train in CI yard. But that was just the get railfans exited at the rodeo i guess..

There are reports that an R68A has appeared on the (A). It was numbered 5116 and was bound to 207th Street from Lefferts Blvd. I can't find it now, but it would be cool.

Oh and the (F), it's only a yard photo, not in service train.

Okay, question? Are all of the (B)(D)(N) and (Q) using R68A's at that time. It must have been a real mess.

There are reports that an R68A has appeared on the (A). It was numbered 5116 and was bound to 207th Street from Lefferts Blvd. I can't find it now, but it would be cool.

I don't think that was true i think that person made that up. I think a railfans sister saw it or something like that. But it was proved to be a lie because somebody saw it on the (Q6) that same day....

I don't think that was true i think that person made that up. I think a railfans sister saw it or something like that. But it was proved to be a lie because somebody saw it on the (Q6) that same day....

That's true,a T/O at subchat confimerd that he saw it on the (Q) line.

The R68A are very unique. I see the R68A's a the Chris Kirkpatrick of the subway. Like the guys who there but he doesn't speak much. Everybody is like R160 this, R32 that, but the poor 68A don't get no love. 68A we solute u!

The best services with the R68A's are on the (D)(N) and (Q) lines. The (D) uses them rarely, the (N) uses them sometimes, and the (Q) uses them very often. the R68As look cool, although darker than the R68s but still the best IND-BMT subway car ever used.

Nah, the (N) and (Q) trains were mostly with R68As.

As for that R68A (A) Train, there was an image long ago with that train in 168th street (Or church ave via culver) on the express track, but lots of people said that it was photoshopped because it had a (A) sign at the front with a (Q) sign at the side, plus with the tiles being painted a bit strangely. But I dont know.

Archived