Beloved New Yorkers, a help question

I'm after some help and advice from New Yorkers, I'm planning a trip to NY in the next year or so with my wife. We're from the UK and have never been to America let alone NY. I was just wondering, as a abit of a Subway nut, I'm planning on making the best use of the system whilst in NY and wanted to know if its safe to ride the system late night say from Manhattan to Brooklyn and maybe parts of the Bronx.

I know it's obviously a great deal better than the old days of the late 70's and 80's but just wondered how New Yorkers felt about riding late nights etc.

Also, do the stations have staff members walking around at night? On the tube in London, you can usually find a staff member on or around the platform and lower areas late at night but obviously it dosn't run all night.

Many thanks for your help guys!

You should be fine, the subways are usually littered with track workers, cleaners, sanitation guys and whatnot.

As our good friend above said it, try not to look intimidated or out of place, stay relaxed and don't panic. I usually wind up riding the subways late night from traveling and being out and about around the city myself.

Just use common sense. You'll only put yourself in harm's way if you ALLOW yourself to be put in precarious situations. I've rode the subway as late as 3 in the morning with someone...by myself, 1 in the morning. On both situations, no one ever bothered me. Contrary to what junior one floor above me said, all parts of the city have bad areas, but again, just use common sense and follow your gut instinct. Don't get off stops that you're not familiar with, and don't be isolated. If anything, ride in the conductor's or T/O's car. I do that on several of my late night trips.

Hope this helps.

Just use common sense. You'll only put yourself in harm's way if you ALLOW yourself to be put in precarious situations. I've rode the subway as late as 3 in the morning with someone...by myself, 1 in the morning. On both situations, no one ever bothered me. Contrary to what junior one floor above me said, all parts of the city have bad areas, but again, just use common sense and follow your gut instinct. Don't get off stops that you're not familiar with, and don't be isolated. If anything, ride in the conductor's or T/O's car. I do that on several of my late night trips.

Hope this helps.

Yes, obviously don't put yourself in harm's way, but sometimes you can't help it.

Let me put it in a way that would be the most politically correct... there are some people who just appear to be vulnerable to the bad guys willing to attack/rob them based on certain physical characteristics that they exert, which they have no control over, and if the bad guys can spot them then it might not end well.

Thanks for some top advice guys, as MHV has said, we probably won't be travelling mega late in deepest Brooklyn, Queens or The Bronx, we just fancied maybe travelling over to sample real NY and not just the tourist destinations of Manhattan.

I've been interested in all things NY Subway since in was a kid and obviously the Internet provides the means to talk to people who use it daily ;)

Just out of interest though, I now that as has been already said, there's track maintenance crews etc working around the system at night, but do you see other MTA staff around the stations at night other than the booth staff? On the Tube in London, there's usually station assistants as they're called around in the fare control areas and platforms late evenings but obviously it dosn't run 24/7 like the subway.

Thanks for some top advice guys, as MHV has said, we probably won't be travelling mega late in deepest Brooklyn, Queens or The Bronx, we just fancied maybe travelling over to sample real NY and not just the tourist destinations of Manhattan.

I've been interested in all things NY Subway since in was a kid and obviously the Internet provides the means to talk to people who use it daily :P

Just out of interest though, I now that as has been already said, there's track maintenance crews etc working around the system at night, but do you see other MTA staff around the stations at night other than the booth staff? On the Tube in London, there's usually station assistants as they're called around in the fare control areas and platforms late evenings but obviously it dosn't run 24/7 like the subway.

Sometimes there are cleaners, and some stations will have agents present overnight, but don't count on it.

Stay in well lit areas with crowds, however, and you should be OK...at least in Manhattan.

Crime happens, but not often...just don't display valuables or look lost and you'll be fine.

For safety within the trains, they are populated at all hours, but if you want an added feeling of security ride with the train operator (first car of the train) or the conductor (6th car of a 10 car train)

The best advice I can give you is act like a New Yorker: look like you know where you're going; don't flash jewelery, valuables or money; don't stare at people.

For added safety, ride in the front car (T/O) or a middle car (C/R).

Like Our friend said ride in the Cab cars

1st car the train operator car on all trains

6th car conductor car on all numbered train lines

and on the lettered lines sometimes the 5th car for the conductor cab car

dont worry about the stations as most have workers at night, either they are track workers or cleaners there is always someone there. if you decide to leave manhattan late night when entering other boroughs dont flash money or other valuables that might be stolen and dont make awkward eye contact with strange people.

Archived