07-23-11 Amtrak 40th Anniversary Train in New London

Fred G

I made it over to catch the Anniversary Train at New London. While I'm happy they alighted here, the train was situated in a challenging spot for photos.

Thames+River+overview+2.jpg

Here's an overview of New London harbor from the parking garage north and west of the station.

F40+and+P40.jpg

P40 822 and cabbage F40 406. There was also a P42 110 at the head of the train and the 2 Gennies were coupled elephant style. You can also see the abundance of catenary structure here. When Amtrak first approached the City of New London they showed conceptual drawings where you'd think the trains ran off 3rd rail. What actually got built was different and one can't bring up Amtrak to the city planner without seeing him make a fist :-o

HHP-8+664+leading+Regional+past+the+anniversary+train.jpg

HHP-8 664 leads a Regional train into New London.

HHP-8+664+in+fog.jpg

In a fog! There was a small fair going on on the waterfront piers and they had a big shower to cool off under. The spray made a cool effect.

Back+to+the+special+train.jpg

Shot of the P42 and the catenary farm.

Earlier I dropped by the Valley RR and saw the Circus Train they were operating, pulled by 25 tonner 0900.

Moar+circus+train.jpg

Another+shot+of+the+train.jpg

VRR+40+has+just+arrived.jpg

A look north into the yard where VRR 40 has just arrived, returning from points north along the CT River.

I have many more photos here.

your pal,

Fred

• 2 months later...

Archived