"Weed Man" Fights For His Right To Beg For Pot In Times Square

mark1447

Now that there are artsy ways to get rid of annoying billboards in Times Square, it seems that cops are trying to get rid of annoying regulars. Joshua Long, better known as "Weed Man" of Times Square, is known for carrying a sign reading "Help! I need money for weed." But he has now filed a lawsuit against the city, complaining that his First, Fourth and 14th Amendment rights have been violated by repeated arrests.

According to his lawsuit, the police have continually impeded on his right to lawfully beg: "Though the First Amendment protects Mr. Long's right to stand on the sidewalk with his sign, he has been, and continues to be, regularly and wrongfully, arrested, charged and harassed by police officers...Without an injunction, it is virtually assured that the NYPD will continue to violate Mr. Long's constitutional rights," it reads. Long, a 30-year-old North Carolina native, generally stands outside the Planet Hollywood on Broadway, between 45th and 46th.

Read more:

http://gothamist.com/2011/07/27/weed_man_fights_for_his_right_to_be.php#photo-3

At least hes honest.....

If you read the article (and this one), he says he doesn't smoke pot. Anymore.

I don't know how much I can trust him on that though.

First time I saw him, he was following someone who was begging for money on the subway, about one car behind. He just walked through without stopping, holding the sign up and smiling...

First time I saw him, he was following someone who was begging for money on the subway, about one car behind. He just walked through without stopping, holding the sign up and smiling...

Agreed! Just because he or the media says he doesn't, doesn't mean crap.. I rather help the true needy then some guy who claims he needs money for weed.

Besides if he quit weed, why is he still using a sign that says he needs $$$ for weed?

I did read the article and I don't believe that he stopped. I do believe the laugh factor part of it, but no, I'm positive he's spending at least some of that money on drugs.

He claims the money is for a career in real estate.

Of course it is, probably to buy a grow house.

Archived