French train crash kills five

French train crash kills five

PARIS - Police in eastern France say at least five people were killed when a train crashed into a bus carrying schoolchildren.

Police in the Haute-Savoie region on the Swiss border says at least 12 people were injured in the crash near the town of Allinges.

No further details about the cause of the crash Monday were immediately available. It is not clear whether children were among the victims.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy paid tribute to the victims during a speech on education in the presidential palace.

From: nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - June 2, 2008

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/02/news/France-Train-Crash.php

7 children dead 24 injured. Happened just before 2:00 p.m local time

"The accident occurred just before 2:00 p.m. (1200 GMT) when a regional train struck the bus at a level crossing at Mesinges, near the town of Allinges in the mountainous Haute Savoie area near the border with Switzerland." - Reuters

Not cool.

- Andy

I don't like hearing of children being killed, especially in incidents that it can be avoided. That is why here in the USA, all school buses stop at all railroad crossings loaded and unloaded (even where exempt signs are), all transit buses stop, and motorcoaches stop when loaded (empty they don't have to stop).......

Not sure if anyone else noticed this but it looks like the windshield kept the front from buckling. No wonder they use single windows..... a 2 window design would have fared worse i think... I wish the usa had more worldwide news coverage.

- Andy

• 6 months later...

Archived