"MTV" at 30 years old 1981-2011

Shortline Bus

As ""MTV" hits it's 30th Anniversary on Monday (8/1/11)what your impressions of that pionnering and yet controversial channel which started as a Rock/Pop Music Video Channel in 1981 to what is now as a station focused on 'reality' programming for teens and young adults?

If you old enough to remember that channel in it hey day playing clips from "Men at Work" "Madonna" "Van Halen" and "Run DMC in it's early days to "Britney" "Destiny's Child" and Enimen' at the start of the new century.

Now in recent years it's know for their 'hit' and controversial reality shows like "jersey shore' and 'teen mom.'

Any memories/reactions to it?

PS here the first video ever played on that channel.

'Video Kills The Radio" Star.

MTV was great in the 80's and 90's, but when the 2000's came they went to shit. They make these crappy reality shows that have nothing to do with realism, and they encourage today's youth to act like shit and do shit. They are now a bad influence on America's youth.

MTV was great in the 80's and 90's, but when the 2000's came they went to shit. They make these crappy reality shows that have nothing to do with realism, and they encourage today's youth to act like shit and do shit. They are now a bad influence on America's youth.

As someone in which MTV has been a major influence (good or bad) on my life, MTV was for my generation the first "Must Watch TV' as a teen in the 80's/early '90's.

Not everything was great with them in their first couple of years on the air Pre-CBS owned Days. The failures included in their first couple of years playing almost No Black Artists. That is all until after calls for a boycott, MTV then began playing videos from artists like Micheal Jackson, Prince and Jazz Legend Herbie Hancock, etc. Not to mention being 'slow' to playing videos from artists in the then new Hip-Hop/Rap and Heavy Metal/Hard Rock genres.

MTV was not just a pioneering channel now just in Music Videos but also playing a key role in almost aspect of the TV and entertainment genre. MTV helped to jump start the TV cartoon industry i.e "Beavis and Butthead." Also for good or bad, they helped to pioneering the 'reality' genre with a show now approaching their 20th anniversity the "Real World."

And did I forget MTV playing a role in electing then an unknown Governor named William Jefferson Clinton President of the US in 1992 by courting their mostly younger voters.

Since CBS-TV brought them in 2001, MTV now sucks. With that said some memories of the 'best days' of that landmark channel.

1)Beavis and Butt Head "Christmas Special"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXsnME8Ak4&feature=related

Part 2 "Santa Letters"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pux-1XmsTvs

Plus some all time great MTV classic videos

"Beat It"

"Smells Like Teen Sprit"

Some other all time MTV popular videos.

1)"Waterfalls" TLC (Music Video of year 1995)

2)"Sledgehammer" Peter Gabriel (Video of the year 1986)

3)"Hungry Like The Wolf" Duran Duran

4)"Land of Confusion" Gensis

5)Twister Sister "I wanna Rock"

IAWTP 100%

Some other all time MTV popular videos.

< videos >

I love these vids! I've always been into music from the 60's 70's 80's and some 90's. some of today's music is ok some isn't. but I'm not really into it in my opinion.

IAWTP 100%

I love these vids! I've always been into music from the 60's 70's 80's and some 90's. some of today's music is ok some isn't. but I'm not really into it in my opinion.

We seem to have almost the same taste in music NYCtrainfan. At least I am not the only 'old man' on the boards into the '70's/80's/90's classics as well.

It seems the kiddies on the boards missed out on some great music bro.

And another great thing from "MTV" was their 1990's Unplugged series. Here are the best IMO.

1)"I Be there" Mariah (To me one of the best remakes ever in Pop Music)

2)"LL COOL J" Mama Said Knock You Out"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzsV4pfBWy4

3)Clapton "Layla" (sorry for the not too great video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKDga2Xzmc

4)"Come as You are" Niravana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPukuq_MhQs&feature=fvst

I forgot about MTV Unplugged...

A few videos from favourite unplugged shows... :cool:

LIVE - White, Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0VAYIeu4Bo

ALICE IN CHAINS - Nutshell

PEARL - State of Love And Trust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da46tpono_M&feature=related

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - Plush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvsBUGb0aM

I personally love watching the original August 1st broadcast on YouTube and hearing about hearing music in stereo and all the VJs with "I just came straight from 1979" hair.

They probably won't mention the anniversary because it means that they have to break from airing their usual crap.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said so far. MTV needs to go back to its roots and play MUSIC. Real music with instruments, that is. Now I have to go to VH1 Classic to watch/listen to my music preferences.

Actually just saw on VH1 "Classic" yesterday/last night (7/31/11)for watching clips of that first day of "MTV" in 1981 and other memorable moments in that channel's history.

While i think most of the boards would love MTV to return to it's roots, they not getting rid of that "MTV1" channel filled w/ crap like "Jersey Shore.'

According to them and ratings sources like Nielsen they getting double-triple the ratings compared to 10 years ago (2000-'01)when they still reguarly played videos/music programming.

While to a smaller degree "Fuse" tries to be the oringal "MTV" playing videos/concerts and music related shows, it's not the same.

So for all of us who are 30 years of age and older that remembers the good ole days of MTV playing videos I think those game are gone forever.

Especially you got I-Pods, Smart Phones, Youtube(both a blessing and a curse)and other places online you can see music videos 24/7.:cry:

PS Here a hit song from a few years back "1985" by "Bowling for Soup" that perfectly explains what us old folks born between 1965-1980 are missing w/o "MTV" playing videos.:eek:

From Video Killing the Radio Star to Jersey Shore Killing the Video Star. Wow does time change or what?

Hey some minor good news Andrew. No MTV1 is not returning to being a full time music channel. Instead for 1st time in 15 years starting in Sept., "Beavis and Butthead' will have new shows. Cool. :tup::cool:

We seem to have almost the same taste in music NYCtrainfan. At least I am not the only 'old man' on the boards into the '70's/80's/90's classics as well.

It seems the kiddies on the boards missed out on some great music bro.

yes it seems that way. I remember before I graduated high school some of the people I knew there would say that I have weird taste in music and that I should listen to today's music. I tell them that I prefer real music from back then. At least people who made music back then didn't scream or lip-sync into the mic, they sang with feeling. Here are some of my favorite songs:

That's just some of my favorites. I have many more favorites from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's

Archived