BMt/IND VS. IRT

nycmike718

Which is the better option Division A or Division B? From both a T/O point of view and Conductors point of view.

Depends on where you live and what you prefer (this goes for both titles):

A Division

Pros: Smaller, easier to learn...less variety of equipment, easier to familiarize...if you live close to it, easier to get around to the various locations...pretty much every line goes outdoors at some point...

Cons: less variety of equipment, you will not learn as much...very short headways, trains are always crowded and schedules are tight...

B Division

Pros: more variety of equipment, you'll learn more about the job...if you live close to it, can be helpful, they'll try to keep you close to where you live most times especially if its queens or south brooklyn...less tight schedules, more relaxed pace...

Cons: no matter where you live, some places will be really inconvenient to get too...with different size and type equipment and different length trains, there are a lot more things you'll have to learn...some lines are entirely underground...

choose wisely...

Depends on where you live and what you prefer (this goes for both titles):

A Division

Pros: Smaller, easier to learn...less variety of equipment, easier to familiarize...if you live close to it, easier to get around to the various locations...pretty much every line goes outdoors at some point...

Cons: less variety of equipment, you will not learn as much...very short headways, trains are always crowded and schedules are tight...

B Division

Pros: more variety of equipment, you'll learn more about the job...if you live close to it, can be helpful, they'll try to keep you close to where you live most times especially if its queens or south brooklyn...less tight schedules, more relaxed pace...

Cons: no matter where you live, some places will be really inconvenient to get too...with different size and type equipment and different length trains, there are a lot more things you'll have to learn...some lines are entirely underground...

choose wisely...

I see. Well I live in Coney Island and I would love to learn as much as I could. So Division B sounds best. I hope they would give the option when the position is offered for Conductor.

I see. Well I live in Coney Island and I would love to learn as much as I could. So Division B sounds best. I hope they would give the option when the position is offered for Conductor.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...depends on the needs of the system.

If there's a choice, you will pick divisions based on your seniority...so even with a choice, not everyone in the class may actually get their choice.

good luck...

I'm not too happy but I'm on the B div. More trains to learn and I'll be all over the system. I live in Manhattan and I wanted A div. But it is what it is.

Hey at least you there. I can wait for my day to come. From the looks of it seems like I'll be waiting for awhile for the medical call.

Which lines are completely underground? Now that I think about it, I haven't been on most of the B Div lines, and I'm guessing the (S) probably doesn't count.

The (C) and (E) lines never see the light of day. I think the Franklin Ave Shuttle counts as a BMT line since the line uses B Division cars.

Which lines are completely underground? Now that I think about it, I haven't been on most of the B Div lines, and I'm guessing the (S) probably doesn't count.

(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7) all see daylight.

(A)(:((D)(F)(G)(J)/(Z)(L)(M)(N)(Q) all see daylight.

Rock Park (S) and Franklin (S) all see daylight.

42nd St. (S), (C)(E)(G)(R) never see daylight (unless you count that little peek through the tunnel by the R south of 59th)

Bigger issue is most IRT crew rooms have cell phone reception, many BMT/IND do not and remember NO CELL PHONE USE on your train or on the platform...

(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7) all see daylight.

(A)(:)(D)(F)(G)(J)/(Z)(L)(M)(N)(Q) all see daylight.

Rock Park (S) and Franklin (S) all see daylight.

42nd St. (S), (C)(E)(G)(R) never see daylight (unless you count that little peek through the tunnel by the R south of 59th)

Bigger issue is most IRT crew rooms have cell phone reception, many BMT/IND do not and remember NO CELL PHONE USE on your train or on the platform...

The (G) sees daylight. You mentioned the George twice.

Archived