Blank Brooklyn Bus Map

Mysterious2train

Inspired by Gorgor's blanking of the Manhattan bus map on Inkscpae, I have prepared for you a blank version of the infinitely more interesting Brooklyn Bus Map!! :)

It looks a little bit weird on Google docs, but once you open it in Inkscape, it should look just fine.

Inkscape is pretty easy to use, just download it, for free, and start working!

Below is a mini-guide for editing maps and drawing routes on Inkscape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorgor provided some symbols you can use, like Limited stop symbols and direction signs for you to use. I just provided them in the different colors to hopefully make them easier to use.

To start, just click the 11th button from the top on the list on the right, the "Draw Beizer curves and straight lines" button and draw a line. If you wanna make a curved line, make the two points where the line will start and end and then move it to make the curve you want.

To move stuff, just click the thing you wanna move.

There are color codes used that correspond to the lines and symbols on the map. Some of the color codes don't exactly match the ones on the official maps, but they are nearly identical, so it doesn't really matter.

There are some random route symbols provided, to change the color, take the second button from the top, the "Edit path by nodes" button and click the object whose color you want to change (If it has text, like a route symbol, be sure to click the color itself, and not the text). To change something's color, width, or other variables, you have to open the fill and stroke box; you can do this by clicking the "Object" selection on top and then clicking the "Fill and Stroke" button.

Like Gorgor said before, the width of bus routes is 2.489 for regular local, Limited, and express routes and 3.750 for Select Bus Service routes, both on the regular maps and inside the inset maps.

To add text for streets, just write text using the 13th button on the left from the top, the "Create and edit text objects" button.

I'd recommend a simple font Arial, size 7, maybe Bold text size, but feel free to mix it up.

For writing text on curved streets, it's somewhat tedious, you have to take the individual letters or groups of letters and rotate them to match the path of the street. Or you could just download the original map and copy the letters yourself and put in the place where it belongs.

To download a map, go to the (MTA) website, open a map, click it, save it as something, and then open it up in Inkscape.

Of course, you don't have to use this map. B) If you want to make a few small edits, you can just edit one of the maps yourselves.

I hope you make some nice routes on the map! If you have any problems, consult me or Gorgor!

I'm probably gonna blank the Bronx or Staten Island maps next. Like I said in another thread, I'm busy, so if you guys would like to delete everything off the maps yourselves so that you don't have to wait forever for me to do it, that'd be great.

I started extracting everything from the Brooklyn bus map myself....

....but in doin that, it got me back to wanting to finish my fictional hand drawn map of a fictional city... So I started using some (more) of my free time workin on that instead....

Figured someone would beat me to the brooklyn map thing; so it happened to be Mysterious 2'.....

Props dude.

At this rate, expect to see maps filled with fantasy "rtes", revivals of former routes, and extensions for already existing routes.

hah.... QJT aint got the capacity to draw up anything on a map.....

...but yeh, general point taken.

Maybe when (or if) I start up my own blog/site (similar to BrooklynBus' site), I'll draw up a full brooklyn bus map w/ all my ideas & go into detail on each individual one on it.....

...instead of making these lenghty replies on forums on how I'd alter w/e route, whenever those bus ideas/proposal threads come about.....

hah.... QJT aint got the capacity to draw up anything on a map.....

...but yeh, general point taken.

Maybe when (or if) I start up my own blog/site (similar to BrooklynBus' site), I'll draw up a full brooklyn bus map w/ all my ideas & go into detail on each individual one on it.....

...instead of making these lenghty replies on forums on how I'd alter w/e route, whenever those bus ideas/proposal threads come about.....

Sad, but true.

If you were to start your own blog/site, I'd definitely go there in a heartbeat and educate myself with what you know about the Brooklyn bus routes instead of listing to random extension BS.

Archived