HR 822 - National Right-to-Carry Passes House

Joe

HR 822 Concealed Carry Gun Bill Passes House Vote

WASHINGTON -- A state permit to carry a concealed firearm would be valid in almost every other state in the country under legislation the House passed Wednesday.

The first pro-gun bill the House has taken up this year and the first since Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., was severely injured in a gun attack in January, it had the National Rifle Association's backing and passed by a comfortable margin. The vote was 272-154, with only seven Republicans voting against it and 43 Democrats supporting it.

Perhaps a double-edged sword, but it could get the ball rolling in getting some states (ahem, New York) to recognize the Constitution.

That's not even the whole point. States like New York systematically deny its citizens of their Constitutional rights with exorbitant pistol licensing fees and absurd waiting periods. Not to mention unequal application of the law depending on nothing but what county the person resides in. I hope this and the Westchester case go through favorably. Remember: a win for civil rights is a win for every citizen of this country.

I'm trying to imagine a city in which about 6 million of its citizens have either have a gun at home or are carrying a gun around.

I'm trying to imagine a city in which about 6 million of its citizens have exercised their right to free speech.

Great. More guns. More guns on the street, hidden from sight. More guns on the street, shoved down the throats of citizens, by some gutless morons who are owned by the NRA. More guns. We can just give them to American politicians and have them all shoot themselves...

Don't worry, anti-civil rights politicians like Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer have already ensured that they can carry while everyone else can't. B)

Why do people refuse to believe that the people who go GTA on everyone more likely than not purchased the gun illegally and all this bullshit gun control only makes it harder for people who legally acquire firearms while the people who illegally get them ignore those laws?

What was Lamont Prides' pistol license number?

Some people think everything needs to be controlled and legislated by the government. More "big government" nonsense. Look at Carolyn McCarthy (prime example of a windbag)...she'll vote "yes" to anything, as long as it bans something.

Bonus: anyone see the TV segment with McCarthy where she had absolutely no clue about the thing she wished to ban? Sad, isn't it?

What I find funny is that a bill like this even has to exist what with that whole 2nd amendment thing and all. All this really is here is a reminder to people "HEY YOU GOT THE RIGHT TO OWN A GUN". I suspect those who dislike guns or feel no real need to carry will still not carry. Those who really want to probably already do. There may just be that small handful of people who probably didn't know this already that get up and go buy one.

But gun rights are just like free speech, right?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Time to play the game of "name that document!"

Yae for real...we will have more Q111's

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/02/20/nyregion/20gunsgr.html?ref=nyregion

What was Lamont Prides' pistol license number?

Some people think everything needs to be controlled and legislated by the government. More "big government" nonsense. Look at Carolyn McCarthy (prime example of a windbag)...she'll vote "yes" to anything, as long as it bans something.

Bonus: anyone see the TV segment with McCarthy where she had absolutely no clue about the thing she wished to ban? Sad, isn't it?

I agree, gun grabbers would probably be the same ones wishing they had some sort of protection if they got approached from such a crazed mad man.

The point of owning a LEGAL gun is so you have something to defend yourself with. I am for background checks, but what's the point of making it harder to get guns if thugs can just obtain one off the black market? Making it harder for law abiding citizens doesn't do anything to stop illegal guns from ending up in the hands of the thugs.

I haven't seen that ad/segment, but she is a disgrace to her husband's memory. To evoke that same: "crazed madman shot my husband, therefore all guns should be banned" 'con' just shows how she'd stoop to such levels to pull a fast one on the voters to stay in office is disgusting.

Here's an idea: if these politicos are so in favor of being 'gun grabbers' then let them walk the streets without armed guards or guards at all. Then we will see how they'd feel as an average citizen that doesn't have the entitled security detail they have. It's no wonder why those politicos are so out of touch with reality. They think everything is rosy so long as the government does everything for us, while they have pretty much everything provided for them.

On a related note: Homeland security sec, Jan Napolitano won't go thru the x-ray machines she is forcing all of us to go thru. What's wrong? Too good for the very system you are shoving down on us?

Jan Napolitano won't go thru the x-ray machines she is forcing all of us to go thru. What's wrong? Too good for the very system you are shoving down on us?

Pretty much. More of the usual "do as I say, not as I do" nonsense.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/images/schumer-tec9.jpg

He's smiling because he's got your rights in his sights.

Carolyn at her finest. Let me tell you something, dear. The engineer of the train your husband was killed on had (and has) a handgun permit. The animal who shot your husband didn't. See the difference? Instead of gun control, why don't you advocate for animal control?

Glad to see this is a concealed carry bill that has passed. I have no problem with these types of bills whatsoever, and I think they are very helpful. THe open carry laws, on the other hand, I dislike.

Making it clear you have a gun is not only asking for someone to give you trouble (the sight of a gun alone makes people more violent, according to a number of studies), but it gives up the tactical advantage of surprise. Unless you are a cop on duty, you should only be using your gun in an absolute emergency, in which case the element of surprise is a great advantage, and it takes only a split second extra to pull out a concealed weapon if you are trained properly.

Archived