Two bus drivers do the right thing

BrooklynBus

The other day I saw something very interesting. I was on a northbound B49 bus at West End Avenue amd Shore Blvd when the bus behind us pulls up alongside without any passengers. I don't know who was the leader and who was the follower, but the bus I was in with passengers had an older more experienced driver. He instructed the other driver to use the old pre-1978 route and start picking up passengers at Avenue Z. The driver followed his advice which saved him five minutes. It was definitely the correct thing to do since our bus had enough capacity for everyone and it would have made no sense for the other bus to just follow us around the Station.

As a result, perhaps a hundred or more passengers waited 5 minutes less for a bus and no one was inconvenienced. It either put the guy back on schedule or made him early, but it helped out both buses. If the MTA knew about this, probably both drivers would get in trouble, since such actions are prohibited unless instructed by a dispatcher. That asks the question, was there a dispatcher at Mckenzie Street and if so why didn't he take action to do the same thing?

I gave the bus driver a compliment when I got off telling him he did the right thing. He responded, "we have to look out for each other." My question is how often this sort of thing happens where the bus drivers are regulating themselves trying to improve service?

Shh. Just let this be the only time you post this. I am not patronizing you, but as you know things can get discovered, and we do not want that. -.-

It is not necessarily an issue of a B/O going out of his/her way to improve service. I think it was more like, it was a lot easier to go up the pre-1978 route and the dispatcher gave the B/O with the empty bus some crummy instructions to put himself in place. They do this quite often, at least in the Bronx. That is why it is a city job, and dispatchers can get away with a lot more, because they are (obviously) under less supervision than B/Os.

Talkin' about them city jobs...

Shh. Just let this be the only time you post this. I am not patronizing you, but as you know things can get discovered, and we do not want that. -.-

C'mon, he wrote a generic story that, for all you know, was completely made up. There are no names or bus numbers. The TA is not going to send out investigators to look at video camera feeds from that street, lol.

Even if there were details, I really don't think any MTA bigwig would start a whole investigation over this- it is not worth the time or money following up on an anonymous, generic story from a transit fan site. The MTA is stupid in many ways, but this is probably not one of them.

Does anyone even have any examples of an MTA employee getting in trouble from a story on this site (not from a complaint to the MTA, that is different)?

'89 Liberty MCI is correct in every aspect. If you saw something outside of regulations on the bus, then keep it to yourself, or at least don't mention any details about the route, and why didn't such and such SLD take action. Many supervisors surf this website (trust me), and if someone from Zerega gets sniff of this, they'll start auditing the SLDs from time to time, or whatever the case may be. It's just not in good taste. If it was a helpful gesture, then keep it that way. Many SLDs don't bother too much unless it's a drastic measure needed.

QM1to6Ave, you'll see things differently if you worked in the transit world. lol

The right thing, according to who......

According to me and most likely all passengers waiting for the 49. Obviously not the right thing according to MTA management.

Resonding to the other respondents-- As for any one getting in trouble, there at no dates, times, bus numbers or bus descriptions given and that was intentional. I don't see how anyone our possibly get in trouble over this.

It was a bus operator going out of his way to improve service because he wasn't the one who took the shortened route. If that were the case, you could argue that he was only doing what was easiest for himself.

Archived