Questiona about R160 in alstom/siemens

Calvin

No question about the car assignments but is it possible to have a R160B Alstom and Siemens together?

because today i saw 9178-9182 with 9047-9043 on the (Q). i wanted to get the photo of it but police were all over at C.I but anyways could it be possible

Guest lance25

If you saw the two sets together in service, then you obviously have an answer to your question. If the preceding answer wasn't clear enough, yes, they can run mixed sets just fine. It happens quite frequently. Unlike the R142/R142A sets, the R160 sets were designed to be mixed together if necessary.

the alstom and siemens motors have different power outputs and braking operation.. its kinda mixing a 40M/42

one slows down slower than the other (forgot which one) so in a sense, the cars will be banging into each other

The Alstom brakes better and accelerates more poorly (basically accelerates on a similar level to a R32). The Siemens accelerates better but brakes worse than the Alstom (but still better than an R46, for example). On an Alstom, one can take brake 1/3 in at 40 and stop smoothly, but on a Siemens, depending on the exact set, you're pushing it. Siemens also has a slightly better top speed and of course gets up there quicker. Some of the Siemens sets can do a flat footed near 50, Alstom the best you'll get is 45 unless you got a downgrade too as part of the run.

Would it not make sense for CI to swap the 60 Alstom cars (8653-8172) it has with Jam yard for 60 Kawasaki Siemens cars (say 9193-9232 - I assume 9193 is the lowest # Kawasaki car at Jam yard - and 9803-9822) leaving CI all Kawasaki and Jam mostly Alstom with 120 Kawasaki cars?

I recall the first 5 car set 160A's (60 cars) were supposed to run on the G but never did. Could still happen with those cars at CI and the G out of CI. The G now is running R68A's as opposed to R68's as was the case when the switch to CI was made

Anyone seen a 5 car 160 set with l.e.d interior lighting as well in the operating cabs? I seen it the other day on the (N)...Very cool everything looked blue.

I call that set the Blue Light Special...it looks beautiful at night

Archived