Straphangers say commute has gotten worse

Via Garibaldi 8

Guest lance25

File this under "no, really?". Of course service dropped since 2009. The (MTA) went through a service reduction in the past few years, dropping service levels across the board. They weren't called "service cuts" for nothing you know.

File this under "no, really?". Of course service dropped since 2009. The (MTA) went through a service reduction in the past few years, dropping service levels across the board. They weren't called "service cuts" for nothing you know.

Yeah, but I think they're also talking about the current service we've had since then and how that's been. It's one thing to cut service, but the question is how has the service that we've had since then been and quite frankly I'd have to say worse.

Yeah, but I think they're also talking about the current service we've had since then and how that's been. It's one thing to cut service, but the question is how has the service that we've had since then been and quite frankly I'd have to say worse.

But as Lance was saying thats a given. Service cuts automatically mean worse service. I notice almost everyday how hard the seniors have it in Bed-Stuy since they eliminated Q24 service on Broadway. They have an extremely difficult time going up and down the platforms to the (J) train. There are nearly 1 million more transit users than there was just a few years ago. The system is at capacity in many areas, and until SAS comes on line, and other service changes are made, it will only get worse.

But as Lance was saying thats a given. Service cuts automatically mean worse service. I notice almost everyday how hard the seniors have it in Bed-Stuy since they eliminated Q24 service on Broadway. They have an extremely difficult time going up and down the platforms to the (J) train. There are nearly 1 million more transit users than there was just a few years ago. The system is at capacity in many areas, and until SAS comes on line, and other service changes are made, it will only get worse.

I think based on the magnitude of them I would have to agree. IMO, we've had cuts before and I don't recall ever being so alarmed about them as I've been with the recent ones. I think it would be interesting to see what the (MTA) has to say if anything. I mean we know they're broke, but do they have any future plans as to how to deal with the growing ridership?

I think based on the magnitude of them I would have to agree. IMO, we've had cuts before and I don't recall ever being so alarmed about them as I've been with the recent ones. I think it would be interesting to see what the (MTA) has to say if anything. I mean we know they're broke, but do they have any future plans as to how to deal with the growing ridership?

I think their future plans address some of the issues, but not all. SAS will help the Lex line, but areas like cental Brooklyn, Utica Av needed subway service long ago. I dont give a damn how you slice it, SBS on Utica is not a good idea, and will never solve the problems the B46 faces.

I think their future plans address some of the issues, but not all. SAS will help the Lex line, but areas like cental Brooklyn, Utica Av needed subway service long ago. I dont give a damn how you slice it, SBS on Utica is not a good idea, and will never solve the problems the B46 faces.

lol... Well that should be interesting because it seems like they're pushing it. I mean it's cheaper for them overall, but I certainly agree with your stance, esp. seeing how densely populated some parts of Brooklyn are. BTW, do they get more federal funding by introducing more of these SBS routes??

lol... Well that should be interesting because it seems like they're pushing it. I mean it's cheaper for them overall, but I certainly agree with your stance, esp. seeing how densely populated some parts of Brooklyn are. BTW, do they get more federal funding by introducing more of these SBS routes??

The funding really depends on the project and program, but I do know the government has had funds available for BRT projects.

As far as Utica, I dont see how they can possibly add SBS service to a street that narrow at the northern portion of the route. And even if they do, traffic would still cloud the pros of the route, and instantly turn them into cons.

The funding really depends on the project and program, but I do know the government has had funds available for BRT projects.

As far as Utica, I dont see how they can possibly add SBS service to a street that narrow at the northern portion of the route. And even if they do, traffic would still cloud the pros of the route, and instantly turn them into cons.

You make a good point. Utica and Reid/Macolm X Blvd north of Eastern Pwy. could maybe only handle SBS is you 'ban cars' along that street. However with Crown Heights and eastern half of Bed-Stuv now becoming gentirifed i am sure car owners who live on or near Utica and Reid/Malcom would scream on losing parking spaces.

Back to topic. While the (MTA) had no choices with the cuts, it did not have to be as serve as it had to be. From reducing transit funding in Albany and at NYC City Hall to riders farebeating and a cast of thousands with some employees mainly at management level getting Fournate 500 CEO-Type salaries all monies down the drain. For instance why does the (MTA) CEO even have chaffeur service?:confused:

Yet there at or near record breaking ridership on subway, bus and LIRR/Metro North. For those of you who complain SRO on a subway, what about fact sometimes you have to stand on a metro north train(not designed for standees no less)going 75mph at times? I am not sure what solution is, but mass transit in metro nyc when approiate (not talking lightly used express bus routes either lol)should be expanding service. Just my thoughts.

In the long run, a subway is cheaper when you're dealing with densely populated areas such as the Utica Avenue corridor. The faster trains, the fact that you only need one driver and a conductor to transport 2,000 people (vs. having one bus driver with 100 people), and the development generated result in the costs being in favor of trains.

In the long run, a subway is cheaper when you're dealing with densely populated areas such as the Utica Avenue corridor. The faster trains, the fact that you only need one driver and a conductor to transport 2,000 people (vs. having one bus driver with 100 people), and the development generated result in the costs being in favor of trains.

Yeah in the long run... Your favorite phrase.... In the here and now there's no money for it, not unless you've got some brilliant idea hidden somewhere.

Yeah in the long run... Your favorite phrase.... In the here and now there's no money for it, not unless you've got some brilliant idea hidden somewhere.

Yeah, and there's something called borrowing money. In the future, you have to pay it back, but you'll have more money to pay it back with because of all the savings and additional revenue generated from it.

Yeah, and there's something called borrowing money. In the future, you have to pay it back, but you'll have more money to pay it back with because of all the savings and additional revenue generated from it.

That's a very big "if". You're assuming a lot... One being the construction costs, which can skyrocket and derail the project altogether, meaning all of the monies spent would be lost and no project would be complete. The (MTA) has already done enough borrowing as it is, which is one reason they're in such a mess already. SBS is a lot cheaper to get off of the ground than building a subway and there's a better chance of being able to control costs as well, not to mention more flexibility.

Archived