Q to Whitehall?

Amtrak7

For some reason, this weekend's originally planned (Q) outage from Prospect to Midtown has been replaced with the rerouting of the (Q) to Whitehall and no service north of that point. What is going on?

Also, except for the (7)(C)(L) truncations, there are no other GO's on Saturday. There are some (6) express runs scheduled for Sunday ONLY. Is this one of those transit testing days like they had a couple of years ago? Sounds like limited B/O or work crew availability.

I was thinking maybe they are working on the switch to get from Brighton line to DeKalb bridge track? it also says that the Q is not stopping at DeKalb but why is that? There is no bypass from the Brighton Line.At least from what I know.

The (N) is stopping at DeKalb. So is the (Q), but it's going to Whitehall. No trackwork can be performed here that can't be performed if the (Q) went to Midtown/Astoria via Tunnel.

I think its a matter of crew availability, given the bizarre GO situation this weekend.

According to this the (Q) is not stopping at DeKalb.

(N)Trains stop at DeKalb Av

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Feb 25 - 27

• Please allow additional travel time.

Note: No (Q)trains at this station during this time.

Could be they forgot to remove it.

I was on that G.O (forgot about it at first)...

Trains are in 2 sections from 57 St to Atlantic Av-Pacific st stopping at DeKalb Av. the other part is from Atlantic Av (simgle tracking from Atlantic to Prospect Pk on the CI-bound track) to Coney Island

for some reason, the southern (Q) came into Atlantic saying it was going to Whitehall

i noticed that myself then i figure where the problems could be. I think they want to make some N train to have short headway (34 street to Astoria) to alleviate the 7 train customers to get to Manhattan. Instead of running the full length of the train it better to have shorter run from certain points. So they figure to keep the train moving without delay, the Q need to be shortened somewhere else which is Whitehall Street. There could be the switch tracks by 34 street and the Q may cause some jam up delays. That IMO

Guest lance25

A couple of notes regarding this service change:

1) Obviously they're working on the normal (Q) line tracks north of Atlantic Av and the only way to get into Manhattan is by using the semi-unused Brighton-Whitehall connection.

2) They aren't extending the (Q) all the way to Ditmars Blvd because a) it would be too long and require more trains than the (N) shuttle and :P Whitehall St can be a good terminal at times and this is one of those times.

The added benefit of not needing to supply shuttle buses between Atlantic Av and Prospect Park also helps.

This explains the lack of work tomorrow:

Press Release

MTA New York City Transit is alerting customers that the popular countdown clocks throughout the system on the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 lines will be off line on Saturday, February 25 from about 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The shutdown is due to system maintenance on the Automatic Train Supervision (ATS-A) system. Although no work is being done on the countdown clocks themselves, the clocks use information from the ATS system in order to calculate the trains’ positions and the time of arrival at the station. Instead of next train information, we will run a text message advising our customers of the outage.

There will be no effect to the countdown clocks on the L or 7 lines.

EDIT: (Q) GO now ends @ 12:01AM Mon not 5AM.

A couple of notes regarding this service change:

1) Obviously they're working on the normal (Q) line tracks north of Atlantic Av and the only way to get into Manhattan is by using the semi-unused Brighton-Whitehall connection.

2) They aren't extending the (Q) all the way to Ditmars Blvd because a) it would be too long and require more trains than the (N) shuttle and :) Whitehall St can be a good terminal at times and this is one of those times.

The added benefit of not needing to supply shuttle buses between Atlantic Av and Prospect Park also helps.

I also believe that the (N) is stopping at DeKalb Avenue is because of the (Q) GO. Those (Q) passengers who want midtown service can transfer to the (N) across the platform from where the (Q) will be stopping.

Archived