Delays Grow As Rails Age At NJ Transit

Shortline Bus

"Equipment failures along the aging rail lines that carry NJ Transit trains are causing longer delays affecting a growing number of commuters, a Wall Street Journal analysis of public records shows.

Broken signals or faltering overhead power lines led to average systemwide delays of three hours and 25 minutes in 2011, a jump of more than an hour since 2009, the analysis showed. The number measures the total wait experienced by all trains affected by each incident.

Delays actually decreased 11% last year from 2010. But when the failures occur, they now have more far-reaching effects: The number of NJ Transit passengers affected by the delays rose 7% between 2009 and 2011, even though ridership declined over the same period.

The problems reflect the challenges facing transit systems across the country: aging infrastructure, state and federal budget cuts and the politically sensitive nature of fare increases."

Delays Grow As Rails Age At NJ Transit - WSJ.com

Also a story on Ch. 7 Eyewitness News on 3/12/12 newscast.

Eyewitness News Videos

NJT runs on Amtraks(NEC) network; NJT has no control whats so ever; Amtrak has priority.

As for the other lines ex. NJCL i can understand why its delays on that, look how long it is....

Agree bro(553). Another news story by the media in this case ABC/Ch.7 and the local NYC edition of the Wall Street Journal putting unfair amount of blame to NJ Transit. Yes (NJT) should get some heat for this problem but Amtrak should be getting in this case most of the blame since they own the tracks for instance along the entire NE Coordior aka the Trenton Line and all connecting services to/from NY Penn Station.

There is no blame to NJT for whats going on the NEC. NJT has to abide to Amtrak. Anyone who blames NJT for that crap on the NEC are idiots and need to stop making news stories about something they know nothing about;and a bad situation NJT is in by running on someone elses network. I know for a fact njt would have NEC running nice and smooth if it was theres. This is the problem i have with transit railroad angencies running on someone elses network.

NJT cant even add nec service, if it was up to njt they would have exp service outside of rush hour, because noone wants to sit on the local for 75+ mins.

Most of these "delays" are Amtrak holding NJT trains at junctions and terminals to let an Amtrak train wiz by but yet we get speed restrictions. Ive rode in the cab on NEC and none of this is NJTs fault.

Well i hate to burst your bubble in the info you folks giving out. I am agreeing with you that Amtrak own most of NEC. However, NJ transit is responsible for the outermost tracks, signals and wiring. The Amtrak take care of the middle two or four. My friend is a NJ transit employee who does electrical maintenance. He was on top in Elizabeth area doing work.

(NJT) should consider hiring Sperry for rail testing on select lines, incluing :ac: , :njc: , :rvl: , :pvl: , :mbl:

(MTA) LIRR has Sperry Rail testing this week on some of their lines...

What's sperry?

• 1 month later...

Archived