Next Stop, Elmhurst

GojiMet86

I found this on today's promotional copy of the New York Post, page 21. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link on the Post's site. All I could find were stories about death and stuff. Anyway, here's the story, typed word by word:

Next Stop, Elmhurst

By: Jennifer Fermino

The MTA might reopen an LIRR station in Elmhurst, Queens, that's been shuttered since 1985.

The agency will conduct a ridership study to gauge demand - the first step to getting funding.

Long Island Rail Road President Helena Williams said it would cost as much as $30 million to reopen the station, which closed when ridership there dwindled to around 30 people a day.

Census data shows the neighborhood's population has grown dramatically since it was closed.

US Rep. Joe Crowley - whose district includes the station - blamed the old ridership dip on scheduling changes that made the train impractical to use.

I wonder how the service will be like if its reopened, my 1978 Port Washington Branch timetable shows it had bi-hourly service on weekends, and hourly on weekdays (the major stations were half hourly, broadway auburndale, and murray hill had a skip stop thing going and had hourly service) During Rush Hours it had 3-4 trains spaced out kinda far apart.

There was also a "Corona" station which passes over National Av. I have biked past there many times and see no remains of it. But now that I hear of this "Elhmurst" sta, I think I need to go back up there and see what remains.

It also states on wiki that there is an overpass by 94 St. I have used that overpass several times, and it is a great place to fan trains from.

That article has some things questioning me, including:

-Was the original station on street level? according to the article it was at street level with a very long platform. The current structure is above st level

-The article also says that there was a tunnel leading to the Elmhurst Av QBL sta. Does that tunnel still exist? there is no evidence from the QBL sta.

Whenever I get a chance I will bike ride over there (or walk since it is right in my area) and get some pics of the station area.

Archived