DirecTV to cut channels.

R188 7857

Tell direcTV to keep these channels on the air, or DirecTV customers will lose these channels!

http://www.telldirectv.com/

Good thing I have verizon FiOS.

And I thought Direct TV was above this crap of disputes with channels/networks :angry: . Guys in case you don't understand the link Casey provided, the possible blackout is of mostly Time Warner-owned CW and Fox network affliates around the country including NYC-based WPIX/Ch.11.

Anyhow i know congress has other issues but maybe some type of digital cable bill of rights is needed here. This is becoming annoying especially since we as customers are paying good money for this service.

Luckly i have FIOS myself but when the specials i got i.e free showtime for a year, etc. ends I am thinking of just having only the local network affliates.

Not to mention hope this possible shutdown does not occur as the MLB season is about to start and NY Met fans watching a few games on WPIX being blacked out.

An update. Since most of you are in the NYC area and have either Cablevision, TWC or FIOS it's not a huge loss. However for much of the country, it's stinks. As Direct TV has pulled the plug on Local Tribune/Time Warner Owned Fox and CW affilates.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/01/tribune-stations-go-dark-on-directv-how-much-could-it-hurt-cw-fox-ratings/126956/

Guest Lance
DirecTV files complaint with FCC over loss of Tribune Co. programming

Pay TV operator says Tribune reneged on negotiated contract

DirecTV subscribers in 19 U.S. markets saw all Tribune Co. television stations go dark Sunday as a contract expired, and a very public battle over retransmission fees hit home. (Paul Taggart, Bloomberg photo / April 1, 2012)

By Robert Channick Tribune reporter

2:14 p.m. CDT, April 2, 2012

DirecTV filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission Monday seeking an immediate intervention in its dispute with Tribune Co. over retransmission fees, which has resulted in a blackout of Tribune television programming for its subscribers.

The complaint says that senior executives at Tribune Co. reached an agreement in principle with DirecTV on Thursday, only to renege on Friday when they were overruled by creditors in Tribune's ongoing bankruptcy case.

"Two days prior to expiration of the existing carriage arrangement, the parties reached an agreement in principle for continued carriage," the complaint reads. "The following day, however, Tribune reneged on that agreement. Tribune later confirmed that its management had been overruled by the hedge fund and investment bank creditors."

Meanwhile, frustration is building for millions of DirecTV subscribers, who are in the second day of a blackout that has left them without access to 23 local Tribune television stations and WGN America.

The blackout began at midnight Saturday after Tribune Broadcasting said it failed to reach an agreement with the satellite television provider in their contract negotiations.

Chicago-based Tribune Co., which owns numerous broadcasting and newspaper properties, including the Chicago Tribune, is seeking "less than a penny a day per subscriber" in retransmission compensation from DirecTV to carry its local television stations, and an undisclosed amount for WGN America. Contract negotiations broke down last week, with Tribune Co. threatening to pull the plug on programming.

The 1992 Cable Act gave broadcasters the right to seek retransmission consent fees, which usually range from a few cents to $1 per subscriber per month. The Tribune has never received any fees from DirecTV to carry its local stations but has been compensated for WGN America programming, according to executives.

Stations affected include local CW and Fox affiliates, cutting off shows such as "American Idol," "Glee," "New Girl" and "Gossip Girl." Major League Baseball's opening day is this week, and DirecTV subscribers are losing access to the Chicago Cubs and White Sox via WGN America, the Mets on WPIX-TV in New York, and the Phillies on WPHL-TV in Philadelphia.

El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV has 19.9 million subscribers, making it the nation's second-largest provider of multichannel video programming distribution behind Comcast Cable. Tribune Co. Chief Executive Eddy Hartenstein is a former CEO of DirecTV.

Courtesy: Chicago Tribune

If what DirecTV's saying is true, Tribune needs to get its house in order before agreeing on things the higher ups don't actually agree on.

I don't even know why anyone would waste money on DirecTV. Its way over priced and lacks a lot of functionality and features.

Warduke it's simple. If you are a NFL Football fan they are the only salelite/digital cable provider in America that allows you to buy their very popular Pay Per View Package Sunday Ticket." While I am a NFL fan, i don't have enough $$$ to buy it lol. So that why Direct TV is still around.

And another reason is because folks like myself who live in Riverdale can't get FiOS (only available in certain parts of Riverdale :angry:) and so I have Direct TV instead. Aside from one outage when I was watching some hockey games (believe me I went crazy... Called them up and they got it fixed in about 20 mins), I've actually been pleased. The HDTV is actually better than FiOS on my flat screen tv (very crisp) and the remote is far easier than the FiOs remote.

Archived