Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

No. No, it is not. It requires a transfer, which is provided for free using a Metrocard.

A two-fare zone is where you would need TWO transfers to make the trip. A bus, a bus, and a bus, or a bus, bus and train, or something else.

Where do you get your information from?

Oh boy I could've been fooled by the sources I look at. Also you have to factor in wait times as well for transfers as it adds time to a journey.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely understand what you are saying. It's you who is missing the point. And what does walking have to do with it? It's a two fare zone transferring to the Q56 or (J) train. Since demand is high between Ridgewood and Woodhaven Boulevard/Myrtle Avenue to Jamaica it makes sense to send the Q55 there so it would make the trips of current riders easier and would also attract new riders as well.

You're still not getting it...that's the whole point of a free transfer. The Q55 to the (J)/Q56 falls under one fare. I'll say it again, you're creating an unnecessary extension just so people won't have to walk a few feet.

And lets be honest here...the Q55 isn't all that frequent compared to the Q56. In fact, its less frequent on weekends (15-20 minutes for the 55 compared to 9-17 minutes for the 56).

There's nothing wing with transferring, that's why it was put there

You're still not getting it...that's the whole point of a free transfer. The Q55 to the (J)/Q56 falls under one fare. I'll say it again, you're creating an unnecessary extension just so people won't have to walk a few feet.

And lets be honest here...the Q55 isn't all that frequent compared to the Q56. In fact, its less frequent on weekends (15-20 minutes for the 55 compared to 9-17 minutes for the 56).

There's nothing wing with transferring, that's why it was put there

I do understand why the Q55 ends at Richmond Hill. I'm extending it so more people would use the buses. The demand is there and the Q56 can also at times take a long time to come and ocassionally the (J) during off-peak.

This has been discussed to death too. There's no need for bus service on Hillside between Queens and Lefferts. Plus the (M) serves Midtown now. There's really not that much room on 146 for layover. Man you gotta learn how to multi-quote, unless you're using the mobile site. Anyway, QJT suggested the Q55 go to 179 St (F). That's even worse.

Cause unlike Q90's idea or version my extension does NOT duplicate the (J) !! It links to NICE bus and reduces transfers through Jamaica while making getting to Jamaica routes that don't go to Jamaica center easier especially the NICE lines and Q76/77 ect the reason why I don't want it ending at 165th terminal is lack of space.

Cause unlike Q90's idea or version my extension does NOT duplicate the (J) !! It links to NICE bus and reduces transfers through Jamaica while making getting to Jamaica routes that don't go to Jamaica center easier especially the NICE lines and Q76/77 ect the reason why I don't want it ending at 165th terminal is lack of space.

My proposal isn't redundant to the (J) either. And extending it to 179 Street is overkill. If people want to go to Nassau they use the LIRR. Your Q55 doesn't connect to the LIRR but mine does. Sorry but the Q55 doesn't need to be extended that far. But you are right 165 Street lacks the capacity to fit the Q55. The only route that should be extended there is the Q40 but that's it.

My proposal isn't redundant to the (J) either. And extending it to 179 Street is overkill. If people want to go to Nassau they use the LIRR. Your Q55 doesn't connect to the LIRR but mine does. Sorry but the Q55 doesn't need to be extended that far. But you are right 165 Street lacks the capacity to fit the Q55. The only route that should be extended there is the Q40 but that's it.

There is some room at 165 St since the elimination of the Q75 and 89. But there is no need to send the Q55 to Jamaica. There isn't much demand for Long Island-Ridgewood access anyway.

1) Yeah the definition of that isn't important to the discussion anyways  :lol:. Let's not waste time on that

2) They serve that area too and I didn't say only the Q40

3) Well how about have the Q60 end at Lexington Avenue between 59 and 60 Streets.

People could then directly transfer to the  (4)  (5)  (6) and there's no bus stop in that section. 

1) No, you just don't like being corrected....

Don't try to brush it off because you're on the wrong end of this whole thing.....

See, you were trying to be a smart ass about it by saying "A super route has to be very long and be heavily used." - After you replied telling me that the current Q60 is a superroute (in response to my criticism of YOU saying the only route change to the Q60 that would make sense if one was made, was sending it to Archer/Merrick) - to further justify that your point is so much more sensical than splitting the Q60.... Telling me that the current Q60 is a superroute doesn't nullify my criticism of Q60's running to Archer/Merrick being a superroute - which is what you were trying to do there....

Furthermore, You are not arguing that those that live over there by 40 projects have the Q6/Q40/Q111/Q113 & that's it..... What you are arguing is actually worse - You are arguing that it's more sensical to move the Q60 to Archer/Merrick, than to have the Q60 serve as many residents that it does, between [109th/157th] & Sutphin/Archer alone (meaning, the current Q60).... One, for the simple fact you're going on hearsay about Q60 usage over there at its terminal in South Jamaica being unpopular....

I got you dude, loud & clear.....

Or did you not say anything about sending the Q60 to Archer/Merrick :lol:

2) Your back & forth with Q43LTD was about the Q40 & how proximal it was to 40 projects...

Try to skirt around that one.

3) Sure that would be a benefit (having the Q60 directly connect to the Lex lines & the broadway lines), but again, one problem with that is sheer volume with the Q60..... That, and Hampton Jitney would like to have a word with you..... Unless you're talking about having buses layover in front of Bloomingdale's (across the street from where HJ picks up at for trips back east) - Which aint happenin !!

Think about it; Why do you think the Q60 has that curbside to itself (that block after it comes off the bridge).... Seeing at least 2-3 Q60's on layover on that end of the route is rather common (bunching is a problem w/ the Q60, but that's another discussion) - And that is why the Q101 has been shuffled all over the place; Once upon a time, the Q101 used to end (meaning, share a terminal) with the Q60..... Things happen for a reason.

We can all have our suggestions/ideas about these things & what not, but personally I find your suggestions in general way too simplistic; devoid of reality..... That's not an insult on your character, but take it how you want......

There is some room at 165 St since the elimination of the Q75 and 89. But there is no need to send the Q55 to Jamaica. There isn't much demand for Long Island-Ridgewood access anyway.

Ridgewood is in Long Island so that didn't make sense. And yes there is one gate at 165 Street that is open (gate 21). However I already proposed sending the Q40 there to use that gate. Also it doesn't need to go to 165 Street either. It's only logical to send the Q55 to Sutphin/Archer since that is where most of the demand is.

Ridgewood is in Long Island so that didn't make sense. And yes there is one gate at 165 Street that is open (gate 21). However I already proposed sending the Q40 there to use that gate. Also it doesn't need to go to 165 Street either. It's only logical to send the Q55 to Sutphin/Archer since that is where most of the demand is.

No. Ridgewood is Queens. I always wondered how the Q40 would do if went to Jamaica Terminal.

No. Ridgewood is Queens. I always wondered how the Q40 would do if went to Jamaica Terminal.

Oh boy..... you can't be serious! Queens, Brooklyn, Nassau & Suffolk are ALL PART OF LONG ISLAND! And about the Q40 it would do even better if it served the 165 Street terminal as it would connect to a transit hub.

Too many quotes... guess I'll split the damm thing:

This has been discussed to death too.....

Yeah, it's why I purposefully ignored it when I saw the OP.... Q55 to Jamaica proper is yet another one of these ideas that's been floating around for years.....

What does the (M) going to Midtown have to with sending the Q55 to Jamaica? Doesn't make sense.

lol.... I have to agree with this; I don't see what Midtown has to do with anything either....

He can come in & clarify himself, but I **think** his point is, you're not gonna get ppl. taking (extended) Q55's to the (M)  from Jamaica, when they can now (more feasibly) take (E)'s or (F)'s to the (M) along QB, from Jamaica.... In other words, sending Q55's to Jamaica is less of a good idea now for that purpose, than anyone may have thought it was before the routing change of the (M).....

Do you have any proof of this?

I have the same question....

Aside from the ppl. that currently xfer b/w 55's & 56's (which really isn't near as many people doing so b/w the two routes in the course of a day to justify extending the Q55 another what, 2 miles or so), where is this demand? I get the sense that those patrons that live in the areas the route serves would despise a Q55 extension (while selfish, but I can understand the notion) on the strength of *this is our little route & it fulfills our needs*.... The Q56 doesn't need a supplement b/w Myrtle av & Jamaica proper either....

Way I see it, this is nothing more than this whole wanting to extend a short route because it's short.......

People however don't like transferring and Hillside only tends to get bad east of Sutphin Boulevard. Even then it's only a small section of Sutphin it uses so it isn't that much of a problem and the Q55 doesn't usually get caught in traffic jams either (unless sometimes on a small section near the Cooper Avenue intersection). Now about people using it to Jamaica those buses are always packed with people going east of Woodhaven Boulevard and most of them use it to Jamaica however they have to transfer to the Q56 or (J) train. Extending the Q55 eliminates that need to transfer.

Not even that. It's because the demand is there but the Q55 doesn't go to Jamaica. Sending it to Jamaica would make it more convenient for current passengers and gain new riders as well. And btw, you even said it yourself that people don't like to transfer.

I do understand why the Q55 ends at Richmond Hill. I'm extending it so more people would use the buses. The demand is there and the Q56 can also at times take a long time to come and ocassionally the (J) during off-peak.

This demand of sorts.... In these 3 replies, you're trying to speak it into existence & it's not working....

Really, how many ppl. do you see standing waiting for Q55's that have came off Q56's (or vice versa)? Whatever your answer is, it has to be enough to consider extending the thing, not to mention the opposition of (whatever CB; community board represents that part of Queens the Q55 serves).... For starters, you're making it sound like 30-40 ppl. per trip are xferring b/w the two routes....

As for latent ridership (since you speak of such demand), I don't see where there's such a clamoring for service to Jamaica from those folks... They're more content to getting to commercial QB (Queens center mall, Rego park center, etc.) than commercial Jamaica.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Oh boy..... you can't be serious! Queens, Brooklyn, Nassau & Suffolk are ALL PART OF LONG ISLAND! And about the Q40 it would do even better if it served the 165 Street terminal as it would connect to a transit hub.

I was referring to Long Island proper. SMH. Let me rephrase. I don't think there is any demand for let's say Hempstead-Ridgewood access.

Because the Q6 and 60 are slated to get artics.

*sigh*

Let's see if they try to convert the Q60 into an SBS route....

There is some room at 165 St since the elimination of the Q75 and 89......

....including the 3 lanes the N6 takes up.... Knock it down to 2, why don't they.....

.....I always wondered how the Q40 would do if went to Jamaica Terminal.

I thought about that back @ straps; swapping the Q40 for the Q41 inside 165th.... Don't remember where I had 41's ending though; think I had it ending w/ the 30/31/43..... it wasn't an exact terminal swap b/w the 2 routes though...

Cause unlike Q90's idea or version my extension does NOT duplicate the (J) !!

It links to NICE bus and reduces transfers through Jamaica while making getting to Jamaica routes that don't go to Jamaica center easier especially the NICE lines and Q76/77 ect the reason why I don't want it ending at 165th terminal is lack of space.

Porky pig would like to have a word with you, sir

If two people kick you in the nuts simultaneously, you're not gonna stand there debating who's Timb's felt worse on which nut.

Case you don't get it, they both aren't the best of ideas.... Stop trying to minimize BS with BS.....

I was referring to Long Island proper. SMH. Let me rephrase. I don't think there is any demand for let's say Hempstead-Ridgewood access.

Oh boy again. You're acting like I'm sending the Q55 to there. What is wrong with having the Q55 connect to the LIRR? And I mentioned it as an argument against QJT's idea to send the Q55 to 179 Street as he said people who would want to go into Nassau County could transfer to NICE. Well my Q55 to Sutphin connects to the LIRR which also goes to Nassau and it's more reliable too.

Q60 getting artics, yes. Putting SBS on it, no. Including the Q1 taking up 2 lanes, the Q6 taking up 3, the 8 taking up 2 and the 9 I think has 2, I'll check the next time I'm in the area. I was thinking of your reply about of a Q55 extension to 179 St (F). That's why I made the comment about the (M)

. Either way, the 55 doesn't need to be extended anywhere.

*sigh*

Let's see if they try to convert the Q60 into an SBS route....

....including the 3 lanes the N6 takes up.... Knock it down to 2, why don't they.....

I thought about that back @ straps; swapping the Q40 for the Q41 inside 165th.... Don't remember where I had 41's ending though; think I had it ending w/ the 30/31/43..... it wasn't an exact terminal swap b/w the 2 routes though...

Porky pig would like to have a word with you, sir

If two people kick you in the nuts simultaneously, you're not gonna stand there debating who's Timb's felt worse on which nut.

Case you don't get it, they both aren't the best of ideas.... Stop trying to minimize BS with BS.....

Q60: That route needs SBS. It literally crawls on Queens Boulevard

N6: The Q6 also has 3 lanes. That could be knocked down to two as well

Q40 Q41 terminal swap: While I do agree with sending the Q40 to 165 Street, I do not agree with truncating the Q41 at Sutphin/Archer. It gets used over there so I wouldn't touch it

QJT: Really he says my extension duplicates the (J) train but under thd same logic his duplicates the (F) train. My Q55 still connects with the (F) at Sutphin Boulevard and sending the Q55 to 179 Street is only overkill. And really he says it's to connect to NICE for Nassau. Well mine connects to the LIRR which people would rather use smh.

Okay to settle things out

The proper boundaries of Long Island are Broolyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk. That's why Long Island City you see in Queens.

Queens and Brooklyn are in Long Island, within city limits. Many people just reference Nassau and Suffolk as Long Island and just say Queens Brooklyn by their county name (its fine as long as your aren't in Brooklyn or Queens), just like anyone in Albany would say "Let's go to the Lower Hudson Valley (as long as your aren't Im the official boundaries of a place, you're fine).

Now,

Talking about the Q60, I think all buses starting at 12 AM weekdays, and 11 PM Weekends should end at Supthin Archer until 3 AM (Weekdays), 7 AM (Saturdays) and 9 AM (Sundays).

Putting SBS on it, no.

No, what...... What is this in response to exactly?

I posed a rhetorical question in regards to that.....

Including the Q1 taking up 2 lanes, the Q6 taking up 3, the 8 taking up 2 and the 9 I think has 2, I'll check the next time I'm in the area.

Yeah, all that is correct.... Also, the Q41 got (the last) 2 lanes....

Q40 Q41 terminal swap: While I do agree with sending the Q40 to 165 Street, I do not agree with truncating the Q41 at Sutphin/Archer. It gets used over there so I wouldn't touch it

QJT: Really he says my extension duplicates the (J) train but under thd same logic his duplicates the (F) train. My Q55 still connects with the (F) at Sutphin Boulevard and sending the Q55 to 179 Street is only overkill. And really he says it's to connect to NICE for Nassau. Well mine connects to the LIRR which people would rather use smh.

Q40/Q41: Here in 2013, yeah, neither do I (agree) obviously....

On straps, I can't find the old post where I said what I did regarding that (via google search; I'm not signing back on that site), so I'm not gonna bust my hump any further.... Some of the old shit I suggested back then I find myself laughing at now; now that I know a hell of a lot more about the entire 5 borough network since like '06....

QJT: Again, I'm not gonna get into a d*ck measuring contest as to which is a better suggestion...

As for dude, I mean consider the source - this is the same guy that wanted a Bronx route run out to Nassau county of all things....

Now, Talking about the Q60, I think all buses starting at 12 AM weekdays, and 11 PM Weekends should end at Supthin Archer until 3 AM (Weekdays), 7 AM (Saturdays) and 9 AM (Sundays).

What is the current scenario regarding what the Q60 does during those times & instances?

(in other words, how much of a service improvement would this suggestion be)

Edited by B35 via Church

QJT: Again, I'm not gonna get into a d*ck measuring contest as to which is a better suggestion...

As for dude, I mean consider the source - this is the same guy that wanted a Bronx route run out to Nassau county....

Q43 directed that response at me. And yes about NICE to Bronx that's ironic. What I do know is that the guy who proposed it's name is Frederick Wells and Frederick is QJT's actual name. Indeed not surprising. But you still can't take QJT seriously though because he purposely posts bad ideas so he can learn more about the areas where his proposals are in from criticism he gets.

I posed a rhetorical question in regards to that.....

Yeah, all that is correct.... Also, the Q41 got (the last) 2 lanes....

Q40/Q41: Here in 2013, yeah, neither do I (agree) obviously....

On straps, I can't find the old post where I said what I did regarding that (via google search; I'm not signing back on that site), so I'm not gonna bust my hump any further.... Some of the old shit I suggested back then I find myself laughing at now; now that I know a hell of a lot more about the entire 5 borough network since like '06....

As for dude, I mean consider the source - this is the same guy that wanted a Bronx route run out to Nassau county of all things....

What is the current scenario regarding what the Q60 does during those times & instances?

I was talking about the Q60 getting SBS. It doesn't deserve a LTD IMO.

I was talking about the Q60 getting SBS. It doesn't deserve a LTD IMO.

LTD wouldn't work as the buses would still get stuck in traffic so it doesn't solve anything. SBS would include bus only lanes so the buses won't have to get stuck in the hell hole and the stops are further apart so it makes commutes much faster. Limited works for busy routes that make lots of turns like the Q58. SBS is for very busy routes that are straight and operate on wide streets like the B41, B44, B46, M15, M34, M60, Q43, Q44, Q52/53, Q60, Q66, Q113 etc.

Edited by Q90

Between those intervals, south of Archer is virtually little to nothing. Those riders would just use the Q6 instead (the Q6 runs every 30 minutes at that point (so its fair).

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Between those intervals, south of Archer is virtually little to nothing. Those riders would just use the Q6 instead (the Q6 runs every 30 minutes at that point (so its fair).

You do know every other 60 ends at Jamaica Station? I'd leave it as is.

You do know every other 60 ends at Jamaica Station? I'd leave it as is.

Between 12AM to the late morning? I think that's excess service below Archer Avenue.