Replace The N45?

VWM

You'd want to piss off riders by eliminating a route only to create a new route? Talks of eliminating anything causes panic especially when journalists use it in the news to make people tune in and ensure they have a segment every night Especially when the route to be replaced is more used than the route getting it's replacement tacked on. The people will panic. I don't understand why you would want to replace a route and CREATE a new segment of another route? Why not just leave leave it the way it is?

I see you have n51 in your sig, funny how no wants to impact service near them or on their line. Every n45 I have been on has had much more riders than the n51. I've studied your map and don't really understand what the benefit would be? What am I missing?

Every n45 I have been on has had much more riders than the n51. I've studied your map and don't really understand what the benefit would be? What am I missing?

I live right near the n45 in Merrick and Bellmore.

Most of its riders are likely west of there.

The n45 is empty or close to it in Merrick/Bellmore.

How many of those riders were riding between Uniondale Ave and Bellmore LIRR?

I guess that answers that question. So they reduce the N45 to peak times only, and increase the N34 headways from every 45 mins to every 30 mins.. Sounds logical.

Sometimes when people make a ridership argument about a route's ridership they mention a segment which it shares with another route. Sure, you can have a bus filled with 50 people on the N21, but if they all got on in Great Neck and they're going to Flushing, then the N21 designation is irrelevant. Those riders just needed a bus along Northern Blvd.

How many of those riders were riding between Uniondale Ave and Bellmore LIRR?

Exactly.

I don't know what point your talking about but both the n45 and the n51 run pretty empty from Merrick Rd to the Bellmore/Merrick LIRR station. At least running them down to Merrick Rd provides the riders a transfer to the n19 and going down to Merrick gives the buses a place to sit and bagel shops for the drivers to get a coffee or use the bathroom between runs.

I never messed with anything going down to merrick road. All that stayed the same.

That's what I don't understand, your essentially messing with the meat and leaving the low ridership parts alone. The n45 handles itself very well from train station to NCC, have you ever ridden the n45 on a school when NCC is in session? The n45 is packed in the morning to NCC and packed in the afternoon/evening after class, especially Mon & Wed.

From what I've seen the n45 seems to be a higher ridership route than the n51, so I'm a little surprised that you would favor axing it, keeping the 51, and then creating a sub route of the 51... I just don't see why... Like I said, maybe I'm missing something.

Ummm... The n43 serves areas west of the meadowbrook parkway and still goes to NCC and the n51A still goes to NCC and serves the n45s route east of the meadowbrook

WHY eliminate a route like the n45 that has more riders than the n51 and replace the higher ridership route with a deviated lower ridership route? It doesn't make any sense?

What is the benefit of eliminating the n45 and adding the n51A?

lol I'm not worked up at all. I just couldnt understand making any modification to the n45 and leave/extend n51 service.

If anything I could see eliminating the n51 (or having it only run rush hours). Start the n45 off in Merrick (off of Merrick) hit up the Merrick train station, go to the Bellmore train station, continue on the regular n45 route. I know other routes could pick up the slack along Merrick Ave, I'm not at home to look at the maps.

Err why not extend N6X and select N6 runs throughout the day to replace N45 via greenwich street directly to park ave then bellmore?? That is so much cheaper than a new route for an axed line. Besides if timed with enhanced N43 overall service improves for former N45 ppl but a transfer is required. This should add ppl to N51 while trying to sway LIRR riders to transfer from buses timed better rather than wait forever for a parking permit. However N51 could do better if turned into an express rte to queens and run better at rush so ppl at rxr can actually use it.

Qj, we've been through this before. The N6 has major major major crowding and bunching issues, you can't have select runs going off into Bellmore,

From my observations, the issue with the N51 is that Merrick Ave is just a corridor for vehicles. There are hardly any businesses or anything that would generate N51 ridership. The street grid is not "walk to bus" friendly either.

the 51a runs along the same n45/n51 route. simply take the 45 to Merrick Av and then Xfer to the 51

i hardly doubt that any one going to take the 51a along Meadowbrook Rd

but why dont you make it a loop route like this

http://maps.google.c...35f3c4b0e9fb04c

No transfer at Camp/Merrick/Ave since its the same route

True BUT THOSE N6X and problems will not effect service beyond hempstead as the crowds are gone by then so N45 is replaced by a cheaper to operate line N45 users will most likely transfer to N43 thus killing off any problems that are N6 related anyway. PLUS it's LESS delay prone than N24. True its crowded BUT beacause its extended beyond hempstead many ppl would have transfered already so N45 PPL will NOT be phased especially thanks to the new N6X most or the delay problems would cease to an extent.

True BUT THOSE N6X and problems will not effect service beyond hempstead as the crowds are gone by then so N45 is replaced by a cheaper to operate line N45 users will most likely transfer to N43 thus killing off any problems that are N6 related anyway. PLUS it's LESS delay prone than N24. True its crowded BUT beacause its extended beyond hempstead many ppl would have transfered already so N45 PPL will NOT be phased especially thanks to the new N6X most or the delay problems would cease to an extent.

0.jpg

the 51a runs along the same n45/n51 route. simply take the 45 to Merrick Av and then Xfer to the 51

i hardly doubt that any one going to take the 51a along Meadowbrook Rd

but why dont you make it a loop route like this

http://maps.google.c...35f3c4b0e9fb04c

No transfer at Camp/Merrick/Ave since its the same route

Is this one route or like a n2/8 loop?

And... n6 Bellmore-Jamaica is too long. Too Delay-prone...

what everyone else said.

Archived