What was Your Favorite Private Lines Bus Model and Why?

B36 Via Ave U

Back when Private Lines existed, Command, Green Lines, Jamacia, Triboro, Queens Surface, Liberty Lines, and New York Bus service, they had a variety of buses up and running, MCI Classics, Orion 05.501 CNG and diesel, TMC RTS CNG, TMC RTS, and the GMC RTS.

Which ones were your favorute ones to ride and why?

My favorite's are the Command GMC's, the 300's amd the 49XX RTS CNG's, those buses ran great, and I rode them often on the B100 back in 2003-2005 and the CBC ORion 5 CNG since they are still around today, a few of them running strong.

Those buses on the Q35 were probably the reject Orion 5's from Green Line Bus, now the few remaining 59XX's formerly the 55XX's. If u saw RTS's on the Q35, those were probably thr 11XX 1993 TMC's, those buses always looked and rode like they were gonna fall apart.

The CLASSIC! The true successor to the fishbowl.

When the DOT privates got all theirs, I so looked for (MTA) and Metro Apple to get them as well. The latter, I didn't realize wasn't subsidized, and the former rejected them because they only wanted rear wheelchair lifts (though Classics did come with the rear lifts in Canada, so I don't know why that was used as a reason).

(MTA) finally inherited them in the PBL takeovers, at the end of their lives, but it would have been nice to see more local units on routes in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The MCI classic was the best express bus ride. I do love the new MCI's, don't get me wrong, but the classics looked more like a city bus, not a greyhound run lol.

I Still do not understand why MCI only makes buses with those luggage compartments under the bus when so many transit companies use those buses as express-type bus service where those compartments are never even opened, much less used.

Archived