Some simple questions from a newbie

bryan

The below is from my new person intro so I wouldn't have to go through it again.

I guess y'all know I have some questions.

I'm from Statesboro, Georgia. Yes, the same Statesboro as the Allman Brothers made famous in one of their songs.

I will be asking a few questions in the LIRR section today. I've read most of the threads, looked at the pics, and watched the videos. As you can imagine, trains and/or subways are not our main mode of alternate travel; just 4 wheelers and mules (no, not that kind).

My 11 year old daughter and I are going to NY next week to visit three buddies from my Marine Corps days. I haven't seen them since we left Okinawa, Japan in 1988. We were planning on meeting in Manhattan somewhere, but the one on Long Island decided that we would all come to his house. The others live in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

Anyway, great to find this sight as I'm trying to make the most out of our 4 days up there.

Please go easy on me as this all seems "easy" to y'all, but I'm stressing about some things which I will get into on the LIRR section.

Thanks

Bryan

Like I said above, I will be using this mode to get to the Smithtown station on Long Island.

I'm obviously having a time understanding the map. It's pretty obvious to me that I will need to get on at Penn Station in New York. I will be staying in Newark near the airport. I shouldn't have a problem getting to Penn Station as I will be traveling there the previous day while visiting Manhattan. The confusion starts after that. The map shows grey lines leaving Penn. Station then branching out. I see possibly having to switch trains at Woodside, or maybe Jamaica and then again at Florial Park (I don't know if thats correct, its just what I see). I just cannot follow what happens after I leave Penn Station. I've looked on the website for a way to put in both Penn Station and Smithtown, but I cannot find what I am looking for so that "the light will come on". In other words, so that I know my stops, and or transfers, if there are any. Is there one train that leaves that says, "Port Jefferson", for instance and thats the one I get on and never have to get off?

Next issue. When I pay for a ticket, will it be similar to the one I would get for the subway, or is it just something I hand to someone on the train? Also, are there round trip fares, or do I just buy one going out then another to come back?

If there is a link that I am missing for something such as a trip planner, that would be helpful, as well.

Any help, tips, suggestions or something that might make this trip enjoyable for me and my daughter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bryan

To get to manhattan from the airport, i suggest taking the train to newark penn, get off there, take the PATH to WTC, at the PATH station at WTC go to street level, and turn left to find broadway, then take the (2) or (3) at chambers street at the intersection of Broadway & Chambers st. Take the (2) or (3) UPTOWN to 34th st penn station, and follow the signs that lead to NJT/AMTRAK/LIRR. Once there, get your ticket out to Smithtown at the LIRR ticket window. Depending on which train you take, you'll either not change train at all, change at Huntington station, or Jamaica. ASK LIRR STAFF WHICH YOUR TRAIN IS DOING! That should be it.

If you need more info, or more details just ask here.

As far as having fun, there are tons of shops & eateries in both newark penn station AND new york penn station. I suggest getting a metrocard & putting 20-30 dollars on it. You can refill them at the machines where you get them, and at the station offices. I suggest these amounts, because 2 dollar fare for subway each time you swipe your card, and 1.75 for PATH. I highly recommend top of the rock, and its easy to get to rockafeller center using the subway & you can reserve tickets online i believe. If you have any other trip planning tour guide type questions please feel free to ask!!!

- Andy

I'd recommend staying on a NJT train all the way to NY Penn Station. Little bit more expensive ($15) but way easier and probably much faster. Buy before boarding! You'll end up on one side of Penn. Follow signs to the LIRR concourse.

Use this link to find LIRR schedules:

http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Read any notices that pop up (if any). I believe they are doing track work near Smithtown and a couple trains are replaced by buses. The page will list any transfers you need to do. If you travel outside of rush hour, odds are very good you will have to change trains somewhere (Jamaica, Hicksville, or Huntington). Pay attention to onboard announcements, especially if you have to change at Jamaica (sometimes you have to change trains by walking through an intermediate train that has doors on both sides open). Buy before boarding! You will get a paper ticket to show on the train. Round trip fares are available. Buy from one of the ticket windows so they can confirm transfer/fare info for you. Avoid the crush of people running for the train when it's posted by waiting in one of the less-congested concourses (if you can see the ticket windows, you're standing in the wrong place). Oh, and watch the gap between the train and the platform, eh?

Enjoy!

-Doug

I'd recommend staying on a NJT train all the way to NY Penn Station. Little bit more expensive ($15) but way easier and probably much faster. Buy before boarding! You'll end up on one side of Penn. Follow signs to the LIRR concourse.

Use this link to find LIRR schedules:

http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Read any notices that pop up (if any). I believe they are doing track work near Smithtown and a couple trains are replaced by buses. The page will list any transfers you need to do. If you travel outside of rush hour, odds are very good you will have to change trains somewhere (Jamaica, Hicksville, or Huntington). Pay attention to onboard announcements, especially if you have to change at Jamaica (sometimes you have to change trains by walking through an intermediate train that has doors on both sides open). Buy before boarding! You will get a paper ticket to show on the train. Round trip fares are available. Buy from one of the ticket windows so they can confirm transfer/fare info for you. Avoid the crush of people running for the train when it's posted by waiting in one of the less-congested concourses (if you can see the ticket windows, you're standing in the wrong place). Oh, and watch the gap between the train and the platform, eh?

Enjoy!

-Doug

In my experience planning trips for people that works, but leaves them needing a metrocard if they want to do anything in the city, plus if they are from out of town, they maybe want to see the WTC site? You can get the metrocard at the newark penn PATH station, and use it right away as you get into the city. Also, the (1)(2)(3) IRT station is -right across- from the LIRR ticket area, impossible to miss. The price difference between the airport and new york, and the airport and newark is all most enough to get an unlimited 1 day metrocard fun pass. Plus, not many people from other parts of the country ride PATH, and it does have some unique views and the stations are interesting. A one ride ticket card can be used at newark because the 1 day fun pass (or anything aside from the pay-per use metrocard which is why i suggested getting that at newark penn) is accepted on PATH.

- Andy

To get to manhattan from the airport, i suggest taking the train to newark penn, get off there, take the PATH to WTC, at the PATH station at WTC go to street level, and turn left to find broadway, then take the (2) or (3) at chambers street at the intersection of Broadway & Chambers st. Take the (2) or (3) UPTOWN to 34th st penn station, and follow the signs that lead to NJT/AMTRAK/LIRR. Once there, get your ticket out to Smithtown at the LIRR ticket window. Depending on which train you take, you'll either not change train at all, change at Huntington station, or Jamaica. ASK LIRR STAFF WHICH YOUR TRAIN IS DOING! That should be it.

The (1)(2) and (3) station is at West Broadway, not Broadway

Thanks for all the replies. I understand it now. Also, I forgot to mention that my trip to LI will be on a Saturday, so that should help with the stations being less crowded, right?

To get to manhattan from the airport, i suggest taking the train to newark penn, get off there, take the PATH to WTC, at the PATH station at WTC go to street level, and turn left to find broadway, then take the (2) or (3) at chambers street at the intersection of Broadway & Chambers st. Take the (2) or (3) UPTOWN to 34th st penn station, and follow the signs that lead to NJT/AMTRAK/LIRR. Once there, get your ticket out to Smithtown at the LIRR ticket window. Depending on which train you take, you'll either not change train at all, change at Huntington station, or Jamaica. ASK LIRR STAFF WHICH YOUR TRAIN IS DOING! That should be it.- Andy
Yeah, uh, how about a transfer at Journal Square for a Yellow line 33rd Street train would be better off, then walking a block west towards Penn Station on 32nd Street.

Hell, just ride out to NY Penn on NJT if only interest is to get into the city and connect to LIRR, leaves you right there and no worries of missing a train if PATH holds you up. Remember, PATH isn't best on weekends cause who knows how messed up things can be at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies. I understand it now. Also, I forgot to mention that my trip to LI will be on a Saturday, so that should help with the stations being less crowded, right?
If your traveling on a saturday, then I really don't recommend getting off at NWK Penn for PATH to Manhattan. Stay on your NJT train best all that way to NY Penn. PATH is slow and very crowded on saturdays (15 minute headways), also if the line is single tracking in and out of NYC. If you really wanna try the PATH, stay on the Red Line WTC Train to Journal Square, and transfer to the Yellow/Blue 33rd Street via Hoboken train hoping you haven't missed the connecting train.

But my advice, stay on your NJT train all the way to New York City.

Yea, on a weekend i'd just go right to new york penn.

LIRR ticket machines print paper metrocards (kind of unique if you don't visit the city often), and the subway machines do the typical plastic kind. The LIRR concourse has a hallway with the (1)(2)(3) on one end, and the (A)(C)(E) on the other end. You can get the more durable plastic metrocards there. Before using the subway, please read the bulletin papers & signs in case a train is going a different route than usual. I suggest going to Hot & Crusty for a treat, and primo capachino for some healthy cold NAKEd or ODWALLA drinks, which you should drink unless allergic to stuff, because drinking just water on hot days can leave you without proper blood chemistry. There are a TON of places ot eat in the hallway between the (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E) that all sell good food (based on your preferences of course!)

Any other questions just ask!

- Andy

Hell, it sounds like I should put Penn Station on my list of places to visit on Friday while I'm in the city. :(

Hahah. If you're not oft in this part of the country, grab some (NJT) or Amtrak time tables. Also, if you are going to be in the area for a few days, try the oyster bar at GCT. All of the food at GCT is good, there is seating areas, and it's just a really beautiful & relaxing place to catch a snack or a meal. You can get there from times square on the (7)<7> or the (S). Remember to take photos of the main waiting room & concourse area!

- Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. Our trip was great and we had no problems whatsoever. My buddy that lived on LI told me that he had a surprise for us on our return trip. On our return trip to Penn, his girlfriend who was a conductor as it turned out, got us up in the front of the train. It was a really good experience for my daughter and I. I will post some pictures when I get them downloaded. Thanks again for all the advise!

Thanks for all your help. Our trip was great and we had no problems whatsoever. My buddy that lived on LI told me that he had a surprise for us on our return trip. On our return trip to Penn, his girlfriend who was a conductor as it turned out, got us up in the front of the train. It was a really good experience for my daughter and I. I will post some pictures when I get them downloaded. Thanks again for all the advise!

Glad to hear everything went well! Can't wait to see some of your photos.

Archived