Civil Rights Lawyer files Federal suit against MTA, NYPD, Chase, and B.....

mark1447

Civil Rights Lawyer files Federal suit against MTA, NYPD, Chase, and Brookfield

"New York City Civil Rights lawyer and former candidate for City Council Yetta Kurland filed a Federal Lawsuit against several city agencies this morning, calling for an independent Federal Monitor, and increased transparency in its operations.

“Shortly before the Occupy arrests began happening, JP Morgan made a $4.6 Million donation to the NYPD. We have to make sure that our police force is making every effort to protect and serve the public, not just the interests of corporations” said Kurland at a press conference on the steps of City Hall. She was joined by council members Ydanis Rodriguez, Melissa Mark-Viverito, Letitia James and Jumaane Williams, as well as fellow lawyers Leo Glickman and Wylie Stecklow.

The suit seeks monetary damages and other compensation not expressly mentioned at the press conference in a 143 page complaint.

Councilman Rodriguez commented on the lawsuit: “When I was arrested on November 15 at the Occupy Protests, my First Amendment Rights were violated, but also my rights as a Councilmember to be a Legal Observer according to the New York City Charter. I am proud to join this suit with my fellow council members.”

For more: http://www.examiner....-and-brookfield

So they are using they wrongful arrests made at the "Occupy Wallstreet" as a catalyst for their lawsuit and they are trying to rope all the city agencies into it for what?? Why not throw the Parks Department and DSNY in there for good measure?

If there's a city/state agency that needs to ne a little more transparent with their actions It's the DSNY. They get paid way more than we do, they get better benefits, almost unlimited sick days, they don't have to deal with the public, and you never hear a peep about their union or contract negotiations (I don't even know what union they belong to). But we get disrespected and treated like criminals when we try to get a wage increase...

• 2 weeks later...

God forbid we have blizzards that buries the city with snow and they don't bother picking up the trash like they should... All I ask is when the snow is all cleared, they pick the trash up at least 1 or 2 days after the roads are cleared. They (in Brooklyn) pick up the trash twice a week, not like every day.

becuase it seems like every time you get one, two seconds later the TWU comes back demanding more. You almost never hear a peep out of DSNY.

we don't hear a peep out of them because they make more than us and can afford to be quiet. If i made the same as a sanitation mechanic and had the same benefits, i would be more willing to accept the MTA's current contract proposal. but i don't...

have you ever considered that thier is a tottaly logical and responable explination for that? Like, say, not complaing at the drop of a hat about every little thing. Cosnider the job of the DS is to lug garbage around all day. Nothing but stinky, messy, smelly crap.

Think of the health hazarads even the mechanics encounter from being exposed to the crap that lines the backs of the trucks. All that foul, germ infested goo that they have to clean out.

Archived