Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Because you talked about "gaps being filled", and the gap he was talking about was along Avenue J.

He just figured it would be better to have it continue and serve Bergen Beach from there, but he could just as easily cut it back to Ralph Avenue & Avenue J.

...and I'm talking about "gaps being filled" & then going onto sending some route filling said gap, any ole where...

To be specific.... I was referring to sending a route (whatever number he designated it as) that would fill that gap around Av J, running to/from Bergen Beach on top of it.... As if those patrons in that part of Flatlands itself are really clamoring to get to residential Georgetown & Bergen Beach; nevermind people living around Ocean av..... He then goes onto say it's not about Bergen Beach, etc etc.... If it aint about that area, then don't propose buses to run IN said area..... That's what I'm getting at, Checkmate....

As far as your assumption to the question you asked me..... If I thought running buses along av. J itself would be problematic or unwarranted, I'd have flat out said it, then explained why.....

I wouldn't have said anything about that particular idea of his, if I didn't see a map of a route going down some Bergen av.... or anywhere in that area east of Ralph av.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I rode several brooklyn bus routes this week, and I think most need a lot of revamping. I'm touching the ones I rode this week only

B54/Q55: Merger and extended on eastern end to Jamaica, called Q55

B67: Becomes a fully Limited bus with current frequencies, extended along Mc Donald to At Least Kings Hwy, and if demand, to Coney Island

B69: Local version of B67, remains on Vanderbuilt Avenue, Follows B67 route to Kings Hwy or CI, runs at 8 minute frequencies rush hours and 15 off peak

B70: For some reason, I feel like this route can be extended to Downtown Brooklyn via 3rd Avenue or 4th Avenue

Breakin it down, once again......

B54 works for the patrons that use it within Brooklyn.... Bed-stuy patrons that use it to get to/from downtown (and w/i bed stuy as well), as well as for intra-Bushwick travel.... and of course, anyone needing the subway @ Ridgewood terminal coming from that direction....

Q55 fills a gap along Myrtle av & serves its purpose well for the residents in Glendale & Richmond hill that are trying to get to Ridgewood (also for the subway (L)(M), or for the shopping along the part of Myrtle it serves) or to get to QB via the Q29 or the Woodhaven blvd routes....

You won't find too many people on either route xferring between one another... B54 riders aren't seeking residential glendale, etc. & Q55 riders aren't seeking service to Bed Stuy, etc.... The ones you may see getting off 55's & taking the 54, won't ride any further than Broadway - which is a small minority..... No way would that suffice as a reason to combining the two.... lol....

If it aint people wanting to combine the B54/Q55, it's wanting to extend the Q55 to Jamaica....

Now this grand idea of combining BOTH of those ideas.... LMAO

------------------

B67... B69.... To hell with the extension - Having those two routes take on a local/LTD type relationship/pairing?.... Seriously?

Sure, because park slope riders want buses skipping stops in their neighborhood.... Case you haven't noticed, stops along 7th av are evenly used, for the most part.... By running 67's LTD, you'd make it easier for the MTA to kill off that route... Overall usage would decrease...

McDonald av (sans church av... hell, even @ that stop alone who's bus usage has declined since the MTA decided to pair those 2 routes up) usage has always been poor.... Yeah you got the bishop ford students, but these are kids coming from park slope, etc... [from the north]).... As far as 7th av, outside of 7th/flatbush & 7th/9th, there's no major stop like that along that corridor.... A LTD bus wouldn't be of much use; you would just have (more) folks flocking to the 69 - Which is (probably what) the MTA is encouraging anyway, given the bastardization of the current 67.....

------------------

B70 to downtown.... Ever since they re-routed it down 3rd av, towards VA hospital, that route's flourished.... Hell of a lot more useful than its prior routing....

What problem would be solved (in your opinion) by having a slow, wieldy route like that run all the way downtown? The only group of ppl. that made a case for reviving the B37 were the elderly down in Bay ridge.... A diversion through dyker heights & the middle of sunset park wouldn't do them much if any justice.... Sure a B70 extension to downtown is literally better than nothing, but if that's the case, they may as well have kept the B37.....

You prolong the B70, and you'll affect far more riders than the B37 ever garnered on a daily basis.....

Are you referring to Avenue J (or K. whatever he wanted it to go down) or Bergen Beach? Because if it's Avenue J, I don't see residents really protesting having a bus down there.

B82: It already has limited service on the weekends.

The main point is Avenue J, and the B82 doesn't have LTD service on weekends.

It would be more connectivity. Although the pattern would be 8 minutes for the route weekdays except for middays, where it would be 15 minutes. Weekends, the route would operate at 15 minutes, with the exception of Sunday Morning Service, which would be 20 minutes

What connectivity? I'm wondering if you really rode those routes; no one transfers b/w the two. It would just create one long-a** route that isn't used everywhere.

B82 should have all day LTD service, 5AM to 9PM 7 Days a week, Sunday, buses every 10 mins from CI, 8 mins on Saturdays, as ThrexxBus stated the B82 dosent have and desprately needs LTD service, along with the B6, which should have thew same Sarirday service on Sunday.

Edited by B36 Via Ave U

B82 should have all day LTD service, 5AM to 9PM 7 Days a week, Sunday, buses every 10 mins from CI, 8 mins on Saturdays, as ThrexxBus stated the B82 dosent have and desprately needs LTD service, along with the B6, which should have thew same Sarirday service on Sunday.

Don't twist my words now. I agree with the fact that it needs LTD service, along with the B6, but I never said that.

Anyway, if my plan got implemented, when the B82 got cut back to CI Avenue, I'd keep LTD service there at current levels unless service does not improve, which it should.

What would happen if the B8 made a right on Rockaway Parkway from Linden Blvd, and a Left on Church Avenue?

Would it help people transfer to the B35?

You talkin about onto the VA hospital bound B8....

(meaning, from its terminal, along rockaway av, turn down linden, to rockaway pkwy, to church av ?)

For the most part.... No, because it would still avoid the riders that currently take the B35 along Hegeman & around E. 98th/church (on the north side of the hospital) that need the B8.... These are the main people doing that xferring at E 92nd/church or at Remsen/church.... The real problem is, the demand/riders isn't on the south side of the hospital (meaning, along linden blvd)....

What you're inquiring, would attract more (VA hosp. bound) B8 usage along church av where it currently doesn't serve..... for the sake of xferring off the B35 to the B8, you would just change the initial possible xfer point off local B35's from 92nd to 96th..... I actually think ppl. seeking the B8 having came off local B35's would still ride it out to 92nd, since there are (park) benches over there.... the 96th st stop doesn't even have shelters.....

There are a swarm of folks xferring off B35's @ Remsen because that's a LTD stop..... If they made 92nd a LTD stop, that would help out a little more than what you're suggesting for that purpose - because folks (coming off LTD 35's) wouldn't have to get off at the church/remsen stop & cross remsen av and church av to get to the VA hosp. bound B8 (at that stop opposite the burger king on the remsen side; it's a shared stop w/ the canarsie bound B17)....

hope that explains it.....

What would happen if the B8 made a right on Rockaway Parkway from Linden Blvd, and a Left on Church Avenue? Would it help people transfer to the B35?

The simplest thing I'd think to do is to move the B8 to M.G Boulevard via the current B35 route. People would still avoid the Linden Bl portion of the B8 if you did that.

You are well intentioned but that's an awful lot of extra mileage. I like the route along Washington but I woud rather see that being a reroute of the B69. You know I like the Empire Blvd part but I don't think it is necessary to go up to Eastern Parkway. And I don't believe you need a route along Bedford. You are too young to remember, but the only reason the B49 uses Bedford today was because Rogers was made a one way in the 1960s. And Bedford is also very congested between about Winthrop and Snyder. And the reason there even were bus lines on Rogers and Nostrand only one block apart because because the trolley operators that once ran those routes were competing for the same clientele before being merged into the BMT or the B&QT, I forget which came first.

You are well intentioned but that's an awful lot of extra mileage. I like the route along Washington but I woud rather see that being a reroute of the B69. You know I like the Empire Blvd part but I don't think it is necessary to go up to Eastern Parkway. And I don't believe you need a route along Bedford. You are too young to remember, but the only reason the B49 uses Bedford today was because Rogers was made a one way in the 1960s. And Bedford is also very congested between about Winthrop and Snyder. And the reason there even were bus lines on Rogers and Nostrand only one block apart because because the trolley operators that once ran those routes were competing for the same clientele before being merged into the BMT or the B&QT, I forget which came first.

The B69 should stay where it is. There are businesses along Vanderbilt that need the service. Part of the B50's Washington route is the B45 will use Vanderbilt to get to Atlantic Avenue instead of Washington. The B50 is just as long as the B44. Plus, local buses heading northbound have some shorturns at Prospect Park, and all local buses heading south terminate at Sheepshead Bay station. As for the Empire Blvd situation, it goes up to Eastern Parkway for the connection to the (3) & (4).

I don't really care for that whole 49/50 bit, but what I will say is the B69 up to Williamsburg (instead of its current terminal @ jay/sands) makes sense.... However, moving B69's off Vanderbilt av to run down Washington av instead, I wouldn't bother with.... The B69's usage on Vanderbilt is the best thing that route always had going for it.....

The B69 should stay where it is. There are businesses along Vanderbilt that need the service. Part of the B50's Washington route is the B45 will use Vanderbilt to get to Atlantic Avenue instead of Washington. The B50 is just as long as the B44. Plus, local buses heading northbound have some shorturns at Prospect Park, and all local buses heading south terminate at Sheepshead Bay station. As for the Empire Blvd situation, it goes up to Eastern Parkway for the connection to the (3) & (4).

The B45 stays on Washington Avenue, sending to Vanderbilt Avenue is a terrible idea. How will Crown Heights Bound B45 go back to St. Johns Place from Vanderbilt?

Sterling Place is a one way street and St. Johns ends at Plaza Street East because of Grand Army Plaza.

It's hard to explain. I'll map it...

Look at this map for the explanation...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c11d120b9a5586701&msa=0&ll=40.673885,-73.964102&spn=0.009423,0.019205

Edited by ThrexxBus