Airlines charging "preferred seating" fee to families

According to a 1010 WINS news report, some airlines have been charging "preferred seating" fees to families to have the family seated together. If the fee isn't paid, the children will have to be seated away from the parents and flight attendants acting as babysitters. I call this highway robbery. Any comments?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/27/sen-schumer-urges-airlines-to-let-parents-children-sit-together-without-paying-extra/

I agree with you completely. Families or not, they should be charged equally. I can understand why some people would think this because of a crying baby, but in the end, it is the same seat, you are going the same place, and I think that your charges should be weighed equally.

If a MOD thinks, move to Aircraft Section.

Man just counting down the time to flying cars and saying bye-bye to the cartel woops i mean commerical airlines are now charging. Soon they will try to start charging just to get water(the free snacks/drinks mainly on long cross country flights will be the next to no longer 'free' IMO)or going to the bathroom. I am serious it's coming ladies and gents.

FYI. Brighton good job on this posting this story. However from now on if possible please always get a link for the news story as i had to add it in to this thread.

Soon they will try to start charging just to get water(the free snacks/drinks mainly on long cross country flights will be the next to no longer 'free' IMO)or going to the bathroom. I am serious it's coming ladies and gents.

There was an airliner that did charge people to use the bathroom. Don't know what happened to that experiment, but it's pretty ridiculous.

There was an airliner that did charge people to use the bathroom. Don't know what happened to that experiment, but it's pretty ridiculous.

It was Spirit, and I think people just stopped flying with them and they had to reverse it.

I think that its unfair to charge the fee to families. Families may need to be with their children during the flight (the child could be young, or have a medical condition, etc.) and its already expensive to fly, especially with a family, and the fee would make the flight cost more than it already is. It seems that airlines charge fees for everything nowadays smh.

No, I think Spirit tried to raise the fees for any additional baggages checked. I think they also wanted to charge for the 1st baggage.

Spirit was the 1st to charge fees even for the 1st bag checked. Now most of them now charge them. Jetblue and Southwest i think are the last '2' major domestic airlines to offer for free the 1st checked bag.

Man just counting down the time to flying cars and saying bye-bye to the cartel woops i mean commerical airlines are now charging. Soon they will try to start charging just to get water(the free snacks/drinks mainly on long cross country flights will be the next to no longer 'free' IMO)or going to the bathroom. I am serious it's coming ladies and gents.

FYI. Brighton good job on this posting this story. However from now on if possible please always get a link for the news story as i had to add it in to this thread.

Oh ok sorry.

Archived