Some Questions & Things

R62A 1991

I noticed a few things while going to and from work today. See if you can guess them. If I get all the answers, we can discuss what's good (or bad) about them.

What's wrong with multiple trains that @ Atlantic Av announces "Transfer is available to the (M), (N), (Q), (Qx), (R), and (W) trains?"

Why would I get off of a (5) train that's at Nevins St & wait for a (3) train, even though a (3) train just left & the (5) is running as an E. Pkwy EXP?

Around what time would I see double <6> trains (uptown and downtown) at 23rd St/Park Av South?

I rode in a car today that is known for being in an irregular five car set. What specific car did I ride in?

A (5) train leaves New Lots Av and is heading towards East 180th St @ 7:50 AM. Is it a Southern Blvd EXP?

I think that's enough. If they're not answered by a certain time, I'll give the answers and we can discuss them. I'm also open to hints, as some of these may be foreign to some people.

I noticed a few things while going to and from work today. See if you can guess them. If I get all the answers, we can discuss what's good (or bad) about them.

What's wrong with multiple trains that @ Atlantic Av announces "Transfer is available to the (M), (N), (Q), (Qx), (R), and (W) trains?"

Why would I get off of a (5) train that's at Nevins St & wait for a (3) train, even though a (3) train just left & the (5) is running as an E. Pkwy EXP?

Around what time would I see double <6> trains (uptown and downtown) at 23rd St/Park Av South?

I rode in a car today that is known for being in an irregular five (5) car set. What specific car did I ride in?

A (5) train leaves New Lots Av and is heading towards East 180th St @ 7:50 AM. Is it a Southern Blvd EXP?

I think that's enough. If they're not answered by a certain time, I'll give the answers and we can discuss them. I'm also open to hints, as some of these may be foreign to some people.

1. There is no (Qx) nor (W) trains @ Atlantic Avenue

2. You can transfer across the platform @ Nevins Street for local service inb/w Nevins Street and Franklin Avenue

3. Around 12-1pm but don't quote me on that

4. R-142A idk lol

5. No but the time it reaches The Bronx it would be local

1. There is no (Qx) nor (W) trains @ Atlantic Avenue

2. You can transfer across the platform @ Nevins Street for local service inb/w Nevins Street and Franklin Avenue

3. Around 12-1pm but don't quote me on that

4. R-142A idk lol

5. No but the time it reaches The Bronx it would be local

1. That's right. Now what's wrong with those trains?

2. My home station is Van Siclen Avenue (hint).

3. Correct, around 12:30.

4. Sorry, I meant car number.

5. I'll let this one continue.

The (Qx) and (W) trains was the Manhattan Bridge rehabilitation. the (Qx) replaced the (Q6) via Brighton Express while the (W) replaced the (B) via 4th Avenue Exp and West End Local and it was the Broadway Exp. (Qx) was discontinued in 2004 and now replaced by the (B) and the (W) no longer runs in Bklyn its now the Broadway Local and now its replaced the (N) express via Braodway

Right you can take the (5) train to Franklin Avenue for the (3) to Van Siclen Avenue...but if the destination sign on the (5) says New Lots Avenue then you take that to Van Siclen Avenue

1. <Q> is non-existent service.

2. Just keep going.

3. Answered correctly already.

4. I really dunno.

5. It should be an Eastern Parkway express.

The (Qx) and (W) trains was the Manhattan Bridge rehabilitation. the (Qx) replaced the (Q6) via Brighton Express while the (W) replaced the (B) via 4th Avenue Exp and West End Local and it was the Broadway Exp. (Qx) was discontinued in 2004 and now replaced by the (B) and the (W) no longer runs in Bklyn its now the Broadway Local and now its replaced the (N) express via Braodway

Right you can take the (5) train to Franklin Avenue for the (3) to Van Siclen Avenue...but if the destination sign on the (5) says New Lots Avenue then you take that to Van Siclen Avenue

For the first one, I'm sorry I'm not being clear. You are absoultely right, but I'm looking for what's wrong with the trains that are saying that for the announcements? (The R142s) That's my fault.

For the next one, the (5) train was going to Utica. Why wouldn't I take it to Utica if I saw that a (3) train just left? It has to do with the (5) going to Utica.

1. <Q> is non-existent service.

2. How bout going to Borough Hall.

3. Answered correctly already.

4. I really dunno.

5. It should be an Eastern Parkway express.

Number 1, that's right. Like I said in the previous post, what's wrong with the R142s that made that announcement?

Number 2, sorry, I'm going southbound towards New Lots Avenue.

Number 4, refer to number 2. I'm going southbound towards New Lots Avenue. I will be forced to take a specific train with a majority of one type of car because the (5) doesn't go to New Lots until 8 PM.

Number 5, it is an Eastern Pkwy EXP. But, going to East 180th St, would it be a Bronx EXP?

I'll post the answers by 10:30.

Alright, how about it?

1. These R142s have OLD programs that display (in this order)

4|Lexington Av EXP

4|Brooklyn Express

4|To Woodlawn

and

2|7 Avenue Express

2|To Flatbush Av

and so on. These also do not have the correct announcements for some stations in Manhattan.

2. Ever tried to take a (5) to Flatbush Avenue during the 4 PM hour? Not happening, because so many go to Crown Hts-Utica. So, because both (4) & (5) trains go to Utica, the Eastern Pkwy EXP is backed up. There is NO way my (5) train would have gotten to Utica, or even Franklin before that (3) train because there were 3 (4) trains in front of it (my co-worker told me this).

3. Already answered, around 12:30 to 1 PM.

4. 5-car sets eliminate R32s, R38s, R40s, R42s, R44s, R46s, R68/As. That leaves R62/As, R142/As, and R160Bs. I rode in R62 1438, but I would've accepted 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434 or 1438. This is the surviving set from the Union Square wreck.

5. This one is really weird. I found this out on April 5th, 2007. This (5) is a stupid deadhead. It does go express in the Bronx, and goes straight to the yard from East 180th St. By the time it gets up to 3rd Av-149th St, the last (5) express southbound has already passed. Now, why they don't run it local, I have NO clue.

Now for the things I wanted to discuss. I always thought that they would have deleted those old programs to make room for new ones. Ever notice that there's not a (5)|7 Av Lcl program even though some (5) trains run over 7th Av Local over some weekend construction? And, it doesn't help hearing that the (W) stops at Atlantic Avenue to some people, it makes them think pre-2004 like CurAke79 correctly stated.

About the (5) trains to Flatbush, there isn't enough of them, and it's because of the capacity issue. Yet, often, it also seems like there aren't enough (2) trains either? Many times, Nostrand riders are stuck at Franklin Av, watching Utica and New Lots-bound trains passing by while a (2) doesn't come for a long while. In this case, I think they should send a few more (5)s to Flatbush. And, they really should run that 7:50 (5) special local in the Bronx. There is no reason for a Bronx EXP northbound in the morning at all.

Sorry for confusing everyone, I have to learn to be better with these things. The next one, I'll try to be as crystal clear as I can.

Alright, how about it?

1. These R142s have OLD programs that display (in this order)

4|Lexington Av EXP

4|Brooklyn Express

4|To Woodlawn

and

2|7 Avenue Express

2|To Flatbush Av

and so on. These also do not have the correct announcements for some stations in Manhattan.

2. Ever tried to take a (5) to Flatbush Avenue during the 4 PM hour? Not happening, because so many go to Crown Hts-Utica. So, because both (4) & (5) trains go to Utica, the Eastern Pkwy EXP is backed up. There is NO way my (5) train would have gotten to Utica, or even Franklin before that (3) train because there were 3 (4) trains in front of it (my co-worker told me this).

3. Already answered, around 12:30 to 1 PM.

4. 5-car sets eliminate R32s, R38s, R40s, R42s, R44s, R46s, R68/As. That leaves R62/As, R142/As, and R160Bs. I rode in R62 1438, but I would've accepted 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434 or 1438. This is the surviving set from the Union Square wreck.

5. This one is really weird. I found this out on April 5th, 2007. This (5) is a stupid deadhead. It does go express in the Bronx, and goes straight to the yard from East 180th St. By the time it gets up to 3rd Av-149th St, the last (5) express southbound has already passed. Now, why they don't run it local, I have NO clue.

Now for the things I wanted to discuss. I always thought that they would have deleted those old programs to make room for new ones. Ever notice that there's not a (5)|7 Av Lcl program even though some (5) trains run over 7th Av Local over some weekend construction? And, it doesn't help hearing that the (W) stops at Atlantic Avenue to some people, it makes them think pre-2004 like CurAke79 correctly stated.

About the (5) trains to Flatbush, there isn't enough of them, and it's because of the capacity issue. Yet, often, it also seems like there aren't enough (2) trains either? Many times, Nostrand riders are stuck at Franklin Av, watching Utica and New Lots-bound trains passing by while a (2) doesn't come for a long while. In this case, I think they should send a few more (5)s to Flatbush. And, they really should run that 7:50 (5) special local in the Bronx. There is no reason for a Bronx EXP northbound in the morning at all.

Sorry for confusing everyone, I have to learn to be better with these things. The next one, I'll try to be as crystal clear as I can.

Ohhhhh thats what you meant for the 1st question....crap I didn't think of that. It was very interesting and got me thinking the answers for those questions...it was good. I liked the questions.

The(5)to Flatbush Ave, and the(2), to a lesser extent, are almost guaranteed to have problems getting down Nostrand Ave. The Bronx G.O.'s end at 15:00 and by 16:00 there will be delays from Franklin to the 'Bush' as they converge. As for the (5)'s to Utica they are there to provide N/B Lex service which is why they aren't re-routed into Flatbush. Truth is Flatbush is a (2) terminal, run by(2) personnel, and don't care about the (5) as much. That's why you see them take a (5) train and make it a (2) so the (2) won't have gaps in service. This happens during both rush hours. That's why so many posters to these forums see so many mixed strip maps on these trains.

The(5)to Flatbush Ave, and the(2), to a lesser extent, are almost guaranteed to have problems getting down Nostrand Ave. The Bronx G.O.'s end at 15:00 and by 16:00 there will be delays from Franklin to the 'Bush' as they converge. As for the (5)'s to Utica they are there to provide N/B Lex service which is why they aren't re-routed into Flatbush. Truth is Flatbush is a (2) terminal, run by(2) personnel, and don't care about the (5) as much. That's why you see them take a (5) train and make it a (2) so the (2) won't have gaps in service. This happens during both rush hours.

Thats ONE of the Good Things when i worked 313 Job on that Deuce on the PM's when i was in the A Div that Dispt at Flat Made sure those (2) trains made thier Intervals out..

If He had to use a (5) so be it...

He would put the (5) line Crews Behind in a second...

The(5)to Flatbush Ave, and the(2), to a lesser extent, are almost guaranteed to have problems getting down Nostrand Ave. The Bronx G.O.'s end at 15:00 and by 16:00 there will be delays from Franklin to the 'Bush' as they converge. As for the (5)'s to Utica they are there to provide N/B Lex service which is why they aren't re-routed into Flatbush. Truth is Flatbush is a (2) terminal, run by(2) personnel, and don't care about the (5) as much. That's why you see them take a (5) train and make it a (2) so the (2) won't have gaps in service. This happens during both rush hours. That's why so many posters to these forums see so many mixed strip maps on these trains.

I see. So for (5)s to be sent to Flatbush means that they may be sent back up to Wakefield instead of Dyre or Nereid. Ouch. But, going to Utica ensures they will be sent back up as (5)s not (2)s. I guess that's in addition to the capacity issue. Well, ok, I can accept that. This also can be a reason that FINDS may be installed in those fleets. But, I always tell my family to stay off the express during that 4 PM hour, because trains are always backed up because of too many trains & too much layover time.

Archived