Full time M service?

Threxx

Just to make sure the (L) thread isn't turned into this, any opinons on the idea that the (M) should run full time?

IMO, it should go from 57th Street-6th Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue. The route is extremely popular, and droves of people go from the (M) > (J) > (F) on weekends.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to make sure the (L) thread isn't turned into this, any opinons on the idea that the (M) should run full time?

IMO, it should go from 57th Street-6th Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue. The route is extremely popular, and droves of people go from the (M) > (J) > (F) on weekends.

Threxx while not recently, 2 years ago(you were not a member yet)the (M) extension was a hot topic when it merged w/ the now Old (V) train for it's current Forest Hills-Metro Ave route. Since it been a while and many new posters have joined since 2010, this topic will be allowed to continue as a chat.

Only problem with 57th St/6th as a terminal is this. The (F) runs every 8-10 minutes on weekend and it could create a conga line. Plus there no 'break facilities' anymore at 57th either. Until that addressed the 57th Terminal is not a good idea? Remeber it was run only because of no Manhattan (L) service.

As you may know before the 63rd Tunnel open, 57th/6th was the terminal for the (B) when it ran on the West End and prior to 1977, the old (K) train as well. If the (M) ran to 57th/6th, it might as well run the full weekday route between Metro Ave and Forest Hills.

Thus Essex makes alot of sense as a weekend/overnight terminal for the (M) for reasons i stated earlier.

Threxx while not recently, 2 years ago(you were not a member yet)the (M) extension was a hot topic when it merged w/ the now Old (V) train for it's current Forest Hills-Metro Ave route. Since it been a while and many posters since 2010, this topic will be allowed to continue as a chat.

Only problem with 57th St/6th as a terminal is this. The (F) runs every 8-10 minutes on weekend and it could create a conga line. Plus there no 'break facilities' anymore at 57th either. As you may know before the 63rd Tunnel open, 57th/6th was the terminal for the (B) when it ran on the West End and prior to 1977, the old (K) train as well. If the (M) ran to 57th/6th, it might as well run the full weekday route between Metro Ave and Forest Hills.

Thus Essex makes alot of sense as a weekend/overnight terminal for the (M) for reasons i stated earlier.

But terminating at Essex dosen't solve the problem I mentioned earlier. If the (M) is extended to Essex, ridership won't increase enough to cover it because people would just think: "Why do this when I was transferring to the (J)?" A 57th Street extention makes more sense. The (M)'s will be able to turn around quickly enough.

As a former denizen of Queens Blvd, I would add that the R is insufficient. The (M) would be a welcome addition on weekends. Moreover, if you look at the massive development of Long Island City right now, daytime, evening, and weekend service is not unwarranted.

But terminating at Essex dosen't solve the problem I mentioned earlier. If the (M) is extended to Essex, ridership won't increase enough to cover it because people would just think: "Why do this when I was transferring to the (J)?" A 57th Street extention makes more sense. The (M)'s will be able to turn around quickly enough.

Well, the benefit is pretty clear: one transfer instead of two. Still, I kind of doubt that extending the (M) will increase ridership. The same people who currently ride the (M) will still ride the (M); they'll just have a more convenient trip. It's not like people are going to say, "Oh, I'll take the subway because the (M) is extended." People who don't have cars will take the train because they have no choice, whether it's convenient or not.

As a former denizen of Queens Blvd, I would add that the R is insufficient. The (M) would be a welcome addition on weekends. Moreover, if you look at the massive development of Long Island City right now, daytime, evening, and weekend service is not unwarranted.

Then the (MTA) should either 1)restore weekend/overnight (G) service to QB 2)Run the (E) local on QB on weekends in addition to increased (R) service. Those options are much cheaper than running the (M) full length service on the weekends.

Then the (MTA) should either 1)restore weekend/overnight (G) service to QB 2)Run the (E) local on QB on weekends in addition to increased (R) service. Those options are much cheaper than running the (M) full length service on the weekends.

If the (G) is restored to QB, then the (E) running local isn't necessary. Local & express service would be relatively even, and those in search of Manhattan can transfer to the (E), (F), or (R) from the (G). I was thinking about that, actually...

I like the idea of increased (R) service, but who the heck among QBL riders wants the (G) aside from those transferring to the (E)?

I like the idea of increased (R) service, but who the heck among QBL riders wants the (G) aside from those transferring to the (E)?

QB Local service since yesterday lol (seriously) on the weekends is next subway coordior that is in dire need of a service increase. I was at the Woodhaven Blvd stop around the Christmas Holidays on a Saturday evening at 9pm.(i already told story folks so pardon me for repeating it)

On that evening, I Was on my way to 42nd-Grand Central to catch a ride home on metro north for ride to upstate Dutchess County. Just missed a (R) and then waited almost 25 minutes for next one. Finally an (R) and then 2 more of them back to back arrived. The first that arrived was Rush Hour SRO only. While the next (2) Manhattan Bound (R) was almost empty. Meanwhile at least 5-6 (E) and (F) express passed by. The Dispatch should have made at least one of The (E) or (F) a QB local as last second replacement.

My point is I doubt the (MTA) will aprove a weekend full length (M) service. Thus why i suggested options such as restoring weekend (G) service on QB to more (R) trains.

57th Street isn't a good terminal because of the (F) trains moving in and out of the station. The (M) should just run full time except for late nights maybe.

What about 50th Street and Rockefeller Center? Is that a good terminal for the (M) on weekends?

What about 50th Street and Rockefeller Center? Is that a good terminal for the (M) on weekends?

No. There no crossover tracks at Rockfeller Center station. It either terminates at 57th/6th(with many of the problems i listed above earlier in this thread). Or Forest Hills.

That will interfere with (D) & (F) service, that's actually worse...

No. There no crossover tracks at Rockfeller Center station. It either terminates at 57th/6th(with many of the problems i listed above earlier in this thread). Or Forest Hills.

There are actually, at 42nd, it's just more complicated...

How about this: The M will terminate at 21st Street Queensbridge, and the F will be rerouted to serve the M stops between 53rd Street, Queens Plaza, and Roosevelt Avenue. During the Weekends.

How about this: The M will terminate at 21st Street Queensbridge, and the F will be rerouted to serve the M stops between 53rd Street, Queens Plaza, and Roosevelt Avenue.

Please lets not turn this into a foamer chat on this topic. Not saying you a foamer NY1365 but at least listen to us who know the track set up on the 6th Ave/QB lines.

The M train can terminate at Queens Plaza on weekends, there is a middle track just east of Queens Plaza where the M train can terminate and turn around to go back to Manhattan.

Remember, years ago, when the G train terminated at Queens Plaza on nights & weekends, the G train used this middle track so I think that it can work for weekend M trains.

It's similar to the Rockfellar Center idea not a good idea. First that middle track past Queens Plaza I am certain only can hold for a 4-car R46 or 6-car R160. Second it could create a conga line creating delays for the (E) and (R) lines. Third it might only work for say overnight (G) trains since the (E) is running at 20 minute headways.

My take on this is that well, It's kinda wierd to run the (M) to terminate on a sixth Avenue Station because of the layout. W.4 street would also be a bad idea, and if anyone asks then why did the shuttle terminate there back in 2001, it was self-explanitory. Terminating the (M) would be difficult. I personally think the (M) shouldn't also terminate at Roosevelt or Queens Plaza, that is why the 57street station would be hard to do (Dont you dare say that's what she said!!!) as a terminal for the (M). I guess run the (D) LOCAL on 6th Avenue to Terminate the (M) AT 34 STREET wouldn't fly by with residents. So, in effort to say less, I think that the (M) SHOULD run to 71st Avenue Weekends. The only thing that we will need to make this happens is community and the local leaders to get involved with this.

The reason the G line was cut back was that the demand was for direct Manhattan service and the V replaced it. There is a demand on both sides of the M line to warrant increased service. Perhaps I'm serving my own interests because I intend to move back to Forest Hills in the foreseeable future and waiting for an R train at a local stop does not wet my appetite!

The idea is not to put more trains in service for the same customers but to create real transit opportunities for new riders. If the current configuration of weekend service can deliver the goods and attract new revenue, then leave things as they are. But if the MTA wants to maximize revenue on its most heavily used and therefore potentially "profitable" lines, new customers are not going to patronize lines with long waits or inconvenient transfers.

The middle track east of Queens Plaza can hold 8 cars of R9s from the Christmas specials so that shouldn't be a problem for R160s. I am not in favor of this at all for all the reasons expressed before, but trains could be short turned there if necessary.

Actually if the (M) ran at all times you are going to see less crowding on the Canarsie Line. There is already an affect on the weekdays. Not just that, but a full time (M) would also probably attract riders from the (L). It would also attract more people that would have traveled by car.

From a business standpoint:

Are there currently riders who are like The (M) doesn't go into Manhattan on weekends, therefore I will stay home or drive and avoid taking public transportation? Or are they more like This long trip to Manhattan is annoying with all the transferring, but I have no other way to go so I'm just going to deal with it?

Basically what I'm trying to say is if the MTA extends the (M) to 57th/6th (for example) on weekends, will there be that many more riders who will be riding who otherwise would not be using public transportation?

I don't know the answer to this question because I am unfamiliar with the area that the (M) train serves. I am just bringing up this point because this is how the MTA will look at a situation like this.

Guest MTA Bus

I realized that the only place the (M)can terminate without causing delays for other trains is either Queens Plaza or Continental Av. Continental is better because the (R) doesn't run that frequent on QBL during the weekend. Another option is to increase (R) train service.

Archived